Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the game you'll always remember?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. ****in loved those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Also Age of empires 1+2
    Command and conquer - Red alert

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Maniac Mansion on the NES. I was, and still am a little, terrified of that game. The music when the guy came down the stairs after you rang the bell :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Spiro 2, such an enjoyable game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

What is your favourite video game that you played as a child? Your favourite video game could of been played on a PC, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo, etc name the console or computer or handheld game device that you played the game on.

For me it was always about the Sega Mega Drive when I was younger and the game that really stuck out for me was a game called Altered Beast where you play a roman soldier who died and is brought back to life by Zeus to save his daughter and you can change into different beasts like a bear or dragon. Class game I will never forget.

commandos, on the pc

think i basically played them first 3 games non stop for a few months on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

There are so many games I could list here. This one is definitely not the oldest but this game....by god did I love this game. So many hours just playing those missions. BEST FUN EVER. Im going to post music from this game because that was one of the best things about it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

F-Zero on the SNES.Good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Chuckie egg on the spectrum 48K...quality ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on the original Gameboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

My childhood can be fully defined and summarised in three words, and they are "super mario brothers", yes there was golden axe, streets of rage and sonic but as great as they were, they were light years behind mario brothers in terms of gameplay and addictiveness, even now 25 years later no platform game comes close to mario brothers!

Zelda a link to the past will always have a special place in my heart, the puzzles were amazing, and it was such a long game.

I remember not being too impressed with the playstation until the day I discovered Resident evil, a game that scared that crap out of me, this was the day I became obsessed with computer games, it's over a decade since resident evil 2 was released and my mates still give me stick for talking about the game every day for 6 montrhs, my favourite game series

As anybody who has completed it will tell you, Final fantasy 7 is an experience like nothing else that you'll experience in life, quite simply it's the greatest story that's ever been told, no film or book comes close

I'm playing the original Metal Gear Solid again, their are no words to describe how breathtakingly amazing this game is!

I loved many games from this generation like Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2 and dead space, its just a pity this current generation is saturated with lots of FPS trash like the riddiculously overratted Call of duty/MWarfare

P.S I rang into work sick today so I could play plants v zombies, what a fantastic game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

The last ninja 1 and 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Rud wrote: »
    F-Zero on the SNES.Good times

Indeed. F-Zero: high speeds & funky music = :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Ah the NES :D

I actually saw a guy selling reproduction carts of classic NES games on gumtree. Something like 25 euro a cart.
    Kinda stupid knowing you can just emulate the games on any pc. But then again, if you're the type of guy who likes to play with a controller and on tv. Not bad I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Defender on Atari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Pokemon??? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Music is ridiclously addictive

For such a simple game required an incredible amount of skill

I swear this job kept people in employment, paid mortgages and put kids through college......if you worked for a joystick manufacturer
    I must have broken one every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Flimbo's Quest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Xpsgamer

Hiding from preists as a kid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭CapriSunFun

Off the top of my head;
    Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3
    Resident Evil 2
    Doom on SNES
    Donkey Kong Country on SNES
    Super Mario World on SNES
    Medal of Honour
    Silent Hill
    Spyro
    Crash Bandicoot
    Overboard
    GTA 3

And I know it's not a game really, but I loved Demo 1 on the Playstation. All the little demo games like Kurushi(which used to scare the sh*t out of me as a kid) and those weird Manta Ray and Dinosaur animations that you could control, hours of fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Xpsgamer wrote: »
    Hiding from preists as a kid :(

What happens when you got caught?
    Game Bend Over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Ikari warriors and asteroids on the Atari, Street Fighter 2 in the arcade, Time Lord and Mario 1 on the NES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Metroid Prime. Having never played a Metroid game before I was completely blown away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The game i probably played the most was street fighter 2 on my sega mega drive. My friends would come over to my place and we'ld play it for hours.

But the one i remember the most was Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit cuz I loved to play it so damn much! It was an awesome game and too bad my 64bit win 7 can't play either that or NFS Hot Pursuit 2 either. Two of my favorite NFS games which i enkoyed playing the most. The new NFS Hot Pursuit was a heap of crap and a disgrace to the original Hot Pursuit games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Even though I was a 90's kid, I still think I deserve to celebrate some of the classics! It was great to see some names of those that I had forgotten!

NoDice wrote: »
    Zork, Monkey Island & Sam & Max! :)

Then moved onto the first GTA, Doom and Quake.

Was delighted when Monkey Island & Sam & Max came onto Xbox Live. :D

Sam & Max was an absolutely unreal game! Hours and hours of comic fun!
    Didn't get a chance until late in life but Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 3:Nemesis. Beaten them both more times than I can remember.

Resident Evil is a classic. Still remember the original. By God it scared the bejaysus out of me!:D
    weedhead wrote: »
    1.Golden Axe
    2.Gods (brilliant!!!)
    3.Dungeon Keeper
    4.Carmageddon

Still love all the old school stuff, no amount of better graphics can change that.

CARMAGEDDON! Epicness beyond all reason! Loved this game so so so so much! could not get enough of it!

Crash Team Racing on the PS1 :D
    Fifa 98-Road to the World Cup-N64
    Commandos on the PC..

Commandos was a fantastic game. Especially the first 2. The later ones were the death of it!:(
    Road Rash!

Great game!
    Hands up who remembers Granny's Garden? It was my first experience of a computer game a long, long time ago

Remember playing this non-stop in primary school on the apple computers in the "seomra riomahaire" (sp)

watna wrote: »
    I was always more of a fan of PC games more than anything else. My favourite were thw Quest games - Police Quest, Space Quest and King's Quest - made by the same people as Leisure Suit Larry - which was also awesome! The first two or three of each series were the best, you had to type in what you wanted to do, like "'open door"" etc. They don't make em like that any more.

I'm going to a 30th birthday in a few weeks and the theme is old school video games. I need to think of a costume, any suggestions? My OH is going as Prince of Persia, we're just going to cut up a shirt and get baggy white pants and I was thinking making a slicer out of cardboard and tin foil so we could get him to jump through them and pretend to cut him in half. I don't want to go as something really obvious, like sonic or a tetris brick. I was thinking of going as Cosmo from this game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure which is my all time favourite but can I be bothered making myself that green?

Any suggestions welcome :)

commander keen? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_keen
    markesmith wrote: »
    Gotta be either Pro Evo 6 on the PS2, Age of Empires 3, or Napoleon: Total War.

aww man, AOE 3? No way José! 1 + 2 were way way better!

Some of the classics I remember!

(All PC)

Duck Hunter
    Wacky Wheels
    GTA London
    FIFA 97
    Red Neck Rampage
    Interstate '76
    MechWarrior series
    Carmageddon series
    Age Of Empires 1+2
    Cossacks
    Operation Flashpoint (CWC, Resistance and Red Hammer)
    Commandos 1+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Even though I was a 90's kid, I still think I deserve to celebrate some of the classics! It was great to see some names of those that I had forgotten!

NoDice wrote: »
    Zork, Monkey Island & Sam & Max! :)

Then moved onto the first GTA, Doom and Quake.

Was delighted when Monkey Island & Sam & Max came onto Xbox Live. :D

Sam & Max was an absolutely unreal game! Hours and hours of comic fun!
    Didn't get a chance until late in life but Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 3:Nemesis. Beaten them both more times than I can remember.

Resident Evil is a classic. Still remember the original. By God it scared the bejaysus out of me!:D
    weedhead wrote: »
    1.Golden Axe
    2.Gods (brilliant!!!)
    3.Dungeon Keeper
    4.Carmageddon

Still love all the old school stuff, no amount of better graphics can change that.

CARMAGEDDON! Epicness beyond all reason! Loved this game so so so so much! could not get enough of it!

Crash Team Racing on the PS1 :D
    Fifa 98-Road to the World Cup-N64
    Commandos on the PC..

Commandos was a fantastic game. Especially the first 2. The later ones were the death of it!:(
    Road Rash!

Great game!
    Hands up who remembers Granny's Garden? It was my first experience of a computer game a long, long time ago

Remember playing this non-stop in primary school on the apple computers in the "seomra riomahaire" (sp)

watna wrote: »
    I was always more of a fan of PC games more than anything else. My favourite were thw Quest games - Police Quest, Space Quest and King's Quest - made by the same people as Leisure Suit Larry - which was also awesome! The first two or three of each series were the best, you had to type in what you wanted to do, like "'open door"" etc. They don't make em like that any more.

I'm going to a 30th birthday in a few weeks and the theme is old school video games. I need to think of a costume, any suggestions? My OH is going as Prince of Persia, we're just going to cut up a shirt and get baggy white pants and I was thinking making a slicer out of cardboard and tin foil so we could get him to jump through them and pretend to cut him in half. I don't want to go as something really obvious, like sonic or a tetris brick. I was thinking of going as Cosmo from this game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure which is my all time favourite but can I be bothered making myself that green?

Any suggestions welcome :)

commander keen? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_keen
    markesmith wrote: »
    Gotta be either Pro Evo 6 on the PS2, Age of Empires 3, or Napoleon: Total War.

aww man, AOE 3? No way José! 1 + 2 were way way better!

Some of the classics I remember!

(All PC)

Duck Hunter
    Wacky Wheels
    GTA London
    FIFA 97
    Red Neck Rampage
    Interstate '76
    MechWarrior series
    Carmageddon series
    Age Of Empires 1+2
    Cossacks
    Operation Flashpoint (CWC, Resistance and Red Hammer)
    Commandos 1+2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wolfenstein 3D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭CapriSunFun

The Sims 1 on PC brings back so many memories for me as a child.
    I love listening to the music from it even now, because it just sends me back to being 11 years old, building my little houses and decorating them for hours on end, which was sometimes even better than playing the game itself.
    Definitely the best soundtrack to any game I've ever player.
    From the cheerful and upbeat Buy Mode music...

To the sad and slightly depressing Build Mode music;

Nothing could beat putting your Sim in a small room and removing the door, or taking out the ladder and watching your Sim swim to it's death. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

My uncle used to play hide the hot dog with me, ill never forget that game.

Advertisement