Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple PowerMac G5 (w/ 17" Flat Panel, Apple Keyboard & Mouse-Refurb) - €370 delivered

Options
  • 06-01-2011 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,785 ✭✭✭✭

Heard about these today in work... they're cracking value really!

They're old models and they're refurbs, but they'd make a perfect server if anything else. Specs are below, and RAM can be upgraded up to 8GB's!

Unsure how much Screenway charge for delivery, though they are reliable. (they charge €20 nationwide delivery.. updated thread title!)

Apple%20PowerMac%20G5%20-%20Refurb.png
    Buy it @ Screenway
    Apple G5 PowerPC 2.3GHz Dual-core
    2GB SDRAM
    2x250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (500GB total)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM
    16x SuperDrive double-layer
    Firewire & USB Ports
    Apple Keyboard & Mouse
    17" Flat Panel Display with speakers
    Dual 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports
    Software: iLife, iChat AV, Mac OS X
    Built-in stereo speakers and mic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's that graphics card like?

Christ i'm tempted.

edit:
    kind of turned off now, seems the video won't be able for what I want without upgrading the graphics card and the OS can't be upgraded to snow lepoard.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=999717

Still a cracking piece of kit for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Bought one of these a few months back, great machine! All I needed it for was Logic8 and Photoshop, which both run flawlessly! Oh and I believe they are refurb units from Tralee IT.

How would that machine get on with Creative Suite 4 or 5 would it even load on, i'm still tempted:o might see will they do a deal without the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

When I used to work for an Apple repair place, we'd be replacing power supplies in these things on a daily basis!

Decent machine other than that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,785 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What's that graphics card like?

Christ i'm tempted.

edit:
    kind of turned off now, seems the video won't be able for what I want without upgrading the graphics card and the OS can't be upgraded to snow lepoard.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=999717

Still a cracking piece of kit for small money.
    It can run Leopard though.. which is sufficient enough.

At the end of the day, it's almost a 5 year old model. And you're getting a Apple Keyboard, Mouse and 17" monitor with it! :D

I'd pick it up if I didn't already have a Mac Mini sitting in the drawer practially unused.

I think my copy of cs4 runs on lepoard i'm nearly sure as it used to work on my old powerbook, I just need the tower, have old cinema display, mouse, keyboard, wouldn't mind just keeping my mac book for work/play and use the G5 just for photshop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭randombar

You're evil!!!

Dont need one cause like yourself the Mac Mini is a dust gatherer but still a nice price!!!!

TEMPTED!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

basquille wrote: »
    It can run Leopard though.. which is sufficient enough.

At the end of the day, it's almost a 5 year old model. And you're getting a Apple Keyboard, Mouse and 17" monitor with it! :D

I'd pick it up if I didn't already have a Mac Mini sitting in the drawer practially unused.

How much you want for the mac mini?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Any of you guys with the mac minis gathering dust interested in selling?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Likewise, my 3yo sony vaio shafted me and now am screwed for college

Not selling the Mac Mini unfortunately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not selling the Mac Mini unfortunately.

tease!

If these are available next month I will be getting one for a server

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I used to have one of these....about 5 years ago. Best looking computer case ever, but who wants a G5?

stimpson wrote: »
    .. but who wants a G5?
    Why not? :confused:

Why not? :confused:

You could get a second hand Intel mac mini dual core for that kind of bread.

If it was 100 notes I'd buy one, gut it and use it as a home server or something.

You could get a second hand Intel mac mini dual core for that kind of bread.
    I've personally never seen one nearly that low.. especially not from Apple.

Plus people should factor in the 17" screen and Apple mouse and keyboard with this.

I've personally never seen one nearly that low.. especially not from Apple.

Plus people should factor in the 17" screen and Apple mouse and keyboard with this.

Ta-dah!!!

http://www.adverts.ie/mac/new-mac-mini/211049

Does it come with a 17" monitor, apple keyboard and mouse?

;)

Plus it's the little things - e.g those Mac Mini's only allow 2GB's RAM max AFAIK.

Does it come with a 17" monitor, apple keyboard and mouse?

;)

Plus it's the little things - e.g those Mac Mini's only allow 2GB's RAM max AFAIK.

A 17 inch monitor is tiny. I saw a new 21 inch wide screen monitor recently for €150. Keyboards and mice can be got for very little (and you don't want the apple mouse from that era if it's the round hockey puck one). If you're upgrading from a PC then you'll already have all those anyway.

Those Mac Minis will take 4GB Ram - I have an upgraded 2GHz one myself. It's the older ones that are limited to 2 GB's. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that a 2 gig Mac Mini would eat any G5 for breakfast.

• Advertisement

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that a 2 gig Mac Mini would eat any G5 for breakfast.
    No doubt.. I have one of those Mac Mini's.

But as I said above, this is perfect as a server.

No doubt.. I have one of those Mac Mini's.

But as I said above, this is perfect as a server.

Agreed, but not for 350 eurons. This would be more like it:

http://www.adverts.ie/peripherals/eircom-3-and-vodaphone-routers/306977

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭karlyk1

(and you don't want the apple mouse from that era if it's the round hockey puck one). .

Can't agree there! I have one of those mice, great feel to it and it's lasted me two years with everyday use in work.
    I think it's a great deal for the price, have to say. My bro is buying one tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

g5's are not very good for cs5 imo, used them, grand as a server... cept power supplies can be trouble, and after 5 years use...mneh

Advertisement