Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could you just have one guitar (or how many do you own)

Options
  • 20-10-2014 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Right guys big question, could you deal with just one? Im thinking of downsizing due to possible move of house and general saving on space.
    I own a mim Tele with bareknuckle pups (first proper payday guitar), a 1970's Yamaha lord player (les Paul copy supposedly more Gibson than a Gibson), a Ibanez rg321, which more fun to play than it should be, and finally steel string and nylon string acoustic. (ukulele and Ibanez bass also)

Could you deal with just the one guitar, if so what is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

If I HAD to go down to one it's be a steel string acoustic.

I have 2, and 4 basses, an archtop, 2 electrics (and a variax) a 12 string acoustic, 6 string Banjo, Guitar bodied bouzouki, mandolin and tenor guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Until quite recently I only had the one, a Martin D28, and was fine with that. However one evening I dropped it on the floor and broke a machinehead off it. It took 8 days for a replacement to arrive. Being without it was like being off the fags, a constant ache as I would reach for my guitar but no guitar to play!!:(
    After that I bought a cheap secondhand epiphone and wont be without two again!
    Epiphone is a grand guitar and gets plenty of playing time!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

I've too many (8, I think, plus a banjo), but I just can't see me parting with more than one or two of them, since they all have quite a bit of sentimental value. If I lost them all in a fire or something, I suppose I could live with just replacing the Strat and an acoustic.

And if I had to choose between the two of them, I suppose I'd have to go with the acoustic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have an MIM Tele, a Fender Marauder, a Bass VI and a P-Bass, a crappy Encore steel string acoustic and an acoustic bass. And some ukes and a Loog 3 string electric.

I find the answer to almost every guitar question is "Telecaster".

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

It really depends on whether I'm gigging or not.

I recently moved to London and haven't found a band yet so I make do with just the one guitar for pissing about at home. Once I get myself sorted with a new band I'll be taking the trip home to load up on guitars as I couldn't gig with just the one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭themountainman

I own about 10 (not all great quality I might add). I would struggle to get it down to 1, if I had to it would probably be an acoustic. But the second I buy one I see another that I want even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭zonular

i love the fact most agree, that a tele is the only choice! (I will admit due to work/kids I'm not gigging so there isnt much need aside from a fancy or sentimental reasons)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I don't gig but have five electrics, all with different pickups and features. There is no repetition there.

I could live with just one but that wouldn't be fun and then I'd have to find a new hobby to spend money. What I like about guitars is that if you buy right they hold their value quite well.

I don't plan to go over five permanently. I might hit six but have one for sale so it will eventually balance out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I currently own 4 electrics, and an acoustic. Been seriously itching to add a warmoth strat with f-holes to the collection. Do I need it? Hell no! Do I want it? Damn right!

If I had to get by with just one, I'd keep my Ibanez RG1570 that I installed DiMarzios in. It's probably the first piece of kit I spent any amount of money on, and plays, looks, and sounds beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Currently I have 11. 2 teles, 2 strats, 3 Les Pauls, 1 Homemade Tele-Paul, 1 bass, 2 acoustics
    I've been contemplating for a while knocking it down to 5 or 6, but if it had to be one it would be a 92 standard LP
    I dont think I could ever go back to having just 1 guitar, I'd really have to have a tele and acoustic as well.
    I can only imagine how my GAS will flare up if i actually do it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Many, along with valve-amps, effects, celestions, sub-bins, mics, stands but could live with just the bog standard cheap Ibanez GIO RG270 with DiM'Evo's dropped in.

A LP, Strat or PRS all together still wouldn't be as versatile as the wee RG. The FRTrem offers EVH whammy licks while locked strings mean re-tuning never required. If it ever moves 1/10 off a semi-tone built-in fine tuners quickly resolve.

Even prefer it to the good RG370/550 as it's set up hot n' low, it's one of the fresher cheap Gio Kor models with nice Rosewood instead of the older Wizard (don't like).

For the bass the new Jap import 'headless' unit is de dogs nuts. Both items are light as feathers.
    If the IBZ was made headless too I'd sponsor/adopt a tiger/donkey or something like that - as per all the ads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

4 basses (technically probably 6.5 if you add parts together), and 2 guitars. One of the basses and one of the guitars are for sale. I've already gotten rid of one guitar in the last few months also.

I could live with one bass and one guitar, but it's nice to have options. I'm in the process of whittling down my "collection" to leave the instruments that I pick up and play more often. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

How much space does a guitar really take up?
    I wouldn't have just one if I could help it. I have one acoustic and 4 electric (and a mandolin) and hopefully will have another electric soon. If I had to have just one, I'd keep the Les Paul as I really couldn't justify spending that much again on a guitar. It just sounds and feels epic. The Tele would probably be the wise choice as it's a real workhorse but when the Strat arrives, it may proove most versatile.
    A lot of people are on a quest (not the OP obviously) for their holy grail. The one guitar that does everything or has "their" sound. They latch onto whatever and flog the rest. I think "viva la difference". i like the different sounds, necks etc. Makes you play different and some days you just want to play the LP or the Tele or whatever. I'm glad I have the LP but rather than spend 5k on 2 guitars, I'd rather spend 5k on 1 special guitar and 3 or 4 decent ones. Variety is the spice of life. With diminishing returns after a certain price point, I think the pros outweigh the cons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

I really dont think I could have just one guitar.I have (same as themountainman) not great quality, 11 guitars. All of the do something different, depending omn my mood, I'll grab one of them. Can I have 3? My tele, my LP and my acoustic. Damn If it was a run out the door, you'll get your money back decision, I'd take my squier tele....... and my epi Les Paul, the kids are able to look after themselves. Fcuk. I love my Lp but the Tele is versitile and light. Ok.... The Tele wins it, now where did I leave it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I need my steel string the most because I play it everyday . Then my fender and my classical guitar .
    I could live without my ukulele because I don't use it much anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I have eight. Five electrics (one of them a travel guitar), an acoustic, a semi acoustic and a 12 string acoustic. And a Uke.

I could live without any of them. Except the LP, Strat, Ibanez and the acoustic. And the Uke.

I couldn't have just one, but I finally have all the bases covered. Except, funnily enough an actual bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I finally have all the bases covered. Except, funnily enough an actual bass.

LOL

Advertisement