Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unseen side effects of using fossil fuels

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think world jump day should fix that problem.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Jump_Day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

paul8f wrote: »
    Hi,

let me know what ye think of this random thought.... (Earth's missing organ):

http://paul8f.wordpress.com/2008/11/27/earth-is-hurt-to-the-core/

Thanks.

Paul, if you want to pimp your blog put a link in your sig :)
    If you want to discuss your thoughts you can do it here but don't use the forum just to pimp specific posts in your blog :)

As for the removal of fossil fuels disturbing the balance of the earth and causing us to whirl off into space or whatever, I don't think that would happen but I don't exactly have any knowledge of geophysics :D

The earth does actually wobble on it's axis, that effect has been well documented. We do have gravitational forces from the other planets in our system, and the sun keeping us in place.

I think this question is good and it's something that perhaps an geophysicist or even an astrophysicist might be able to answer...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hi,

Thanks.

The fossil fuel is being removed, but it's just being moved about, its not disappearing. True it might be changed into different forms, e.g. gas, but its not to any great degree leaving the planet.

The earth is wobbling erratically on its axis anyway due to the effects of the moon and due to the movement of its liquid core and its outer crust.

So not really a problem in my opinion. Interesting thought though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Hi,

Thanks.

Seawater is pumped back into the voids as the oil is withdrawn to maintain oil pressure and prevent the void from collapsing.

Oil is denser than water, but the difference wouldn't be noticeable with regards the rotation of the planet.

Earth's orbit's safe (for now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Svenolsen

Approx. 78,000 Tons of meteorite matter fall on the earth each year.

Solar Mass ejections account for a lot more I would say.

The earth is actually getting heavier.

(The oil is still here as a gas...its mass is the same.)

We humans have reduced the mass of the Earth only by the mass of space probes which we have sent permanently away..Voyager,Mars Rovers etc. etc.

The combined mass of those probes is an unmeasureably small fraction of the mass of the earth.

Atomic reactors and weapons have converted some mass to energy as well, but the amounts are trivial .

Not to worry !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Oil is denser than water...

ORLY? :eek:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    ORLY? :eek:

. Cunnins4 is denser than Pherekydes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

If something as innocuous as wind-currents on the Earth's surface can affect the rotation of the planet (speeding it up or slowing it down (ever so slowly though)), then why shouldn't this also affect it? I have seriously been thinking about this issue for a long time and think that factors such as air-pressure decreasing in these unground caverns should be considered too.

Kevster wrote: »
    If something as innocuous as wind-currents on the Earth's surface can affect the rotation of the planet

There is nothing innocuous about air movements.

Remember what Hurricane Katrina did !

The mass of the atmosphere is about 5 quadrillion metric tons or 1/1,200,000 the mass of Earth.

Five Quadrillion Tons is a LOT of air.

Gas and oil are just a drop in the ocean by comparison.

Proven reserves of natural gas on Earth total 130 billion tons.
    There are 190 billion tons of proved oil reserves.
    All VERY approx. figures mind you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Also this argument would be much more compelling if oil and gas were actually trapped in giant underground resevoirs.

The fact that the vast majority of deposits are actually trapped in tiny pores in sandstone rock is completely ignored by all these sensationalist 'void' theories. Usually underground water fills the pores naturally over time.

Of course in those few deposits that are close to the surface some subsidence is possible much like what happens with mining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Whoops, never proof read that.

If a mod would care to fix my post to the obvious I'd be much obliged.

Svenolsen: with 17 posts, you can fúck off with comments like that.

Cheers though.

Advertisement