Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers that are not gassy HELP

Options
  • 15-10-2014 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hi

I tend to stay away from alcohol when i can . I have problems with my stomach the last few years . However i have a stag coming up and it will be impossible not to have a few.

Can anyone recommend what i could drink that isnt full of gas and wont make me too bloated ( viokently ill ) the next day ( when i have to go back on it again )

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

TheNap wrote: »
    Hi

I tend to stay away from alcohol when i can . I have problems with my stomach the last few years . However i have a stag coming up and it will be impossible not to have a few.

Can anyone recommend what i could drink that isnt full of gas and wont make me too bloated ( viokently ill ) the next day ( when i have to go back on it again )

thanks

do not drink bottled beer. it gives you more gas. Budweiser isn't too bad, Coors light is the worst for gas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I would doubt its the actual gas level that is causing the bloating more an intolerance to whest or alcohol. Try cider maybe? Or spirits? Or alcohol free beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm intolerant to the Whest.

Feckin culchies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

You can get gluten free beer. (Might need to ask though!). I know the Bull & Castle stock it.

http://bull-and-castle.fxbuckley.ie/menus
    Gluten Free
    Hambleton Ale 500ml/4.8%/€6.50
    Hambleton Lager 500ml/5.2%/€6.50

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you can confine the stag do decent beer bars, cask beer has little to no gas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Beans arent full of gas but they can make people feel bloated and make them produce ample gas just like beer ;) i really doubt its the actual carbonation level he should be worried about!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sounds like the OP should consult with a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

TheNap wrote: »
    Hi

thanks

Is it just beer that gets your stomach riled up? Could be a gluten intolerance or something like that, Is cider any better? if so give the GlutenFree beers a go.
    I know a lad that gets very bad IBS and is very limited to what he can eat/drink altogether. He tried Ginger beer recently and had no problems (he was delighted!), so if you're not gluten intolerant, give that a go - I think Ginger is a natural stomach remedy.

And if it's really down to the bubbles, maybe try some nitro based drinks like Guinness/Beamish,
    Plain Porter/ Oyster Stout/ Red in the Porterhouse on Draught
    Galway Hooker stout
    Kilkenny :pac:

The only grounds I have for that one is a conversation i had in the pub with someone that only drinks Guinness "cos it's smooth" but I have a bad feeling someone on this forum is about to debunk that theory

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Sounds like irritable bowel syndrome Dr.
    Do you concur?
    Yes nurse.... have him move to cider and see if this helps. If it does it could be a gluten /wheat intolerance problem. If cider does the same he may have to quite drinking pints altogether. Is a shame nurse but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Advise the OP on non-gassy beers as per the original query. Your lay men's diagnoses are against site rules on giving medical advice.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

If you can confine the stag do decent beer bars, cask beer has little to no gas.

+1 to this

further more this might help, I got it from a Homebrew site that gives style guidelines on how the beer should be carbonated. British style ales and Porters/Stouts woudl be low, Fruit/Wheat beers would be gassy

Carbonation Guidelines by Style
    British Style Ales 1.5 - 2.0 volumes
    Belgian Ales 1.9 - 2.4 volumes
    American Ales and Lager 2.2 - 2.7 volumes
    Fruit Lambic 3.0 - 4.5 volumes
    Porter, Stout 1.7 - 2.3 volumes
    European Lagers 2.2 - 2.7 volumes
    Lambic 2.4 - 2.8 volumes
    German Wheat Beer 3.3 - 4.5 volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Personally, if I was served a cask beer with no gas I'd be sending it back.

Also, too mich cask beer gives me a dodgy stomach!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You can get gluten free beer. (Might need to ask though!). I know the Bull & Castle stock it.

http://bull-and-castle.fxbuckley.ie/menus

The Galway Bay Brewery pubs (Against the Grain etc) usually have 2-3 GF bottled beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lk67 wrote: »
    Personally, if I was served a cask beer with no gas I'd be sending it back.

Also, too mich cask beer gives me a dodgy stomach!
    no one said that cask had no gas.

little to none, means there's some.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

no one said that cask had no gas.

little to none, means there's some.

Eh? Little to none means exactly that... little (a little) TO none (none, nada, zilch), therefore cask beer COULD be flat!

(There is a phrase 'little OR no' but even that is open to interpretation or misinterpretation and is not a very clear descriptor IMO.)

I can appreciate now - I think - what what was meant by the phrase but the issue I have is that it perpetuates one of the myths about cask beer.

Apologies if I misinterpreted the wording but as I say, that's the problem with such a phrase. :(

Thanks for clarifying what was meant, if that is the case.

Ha! mich = much :)

Advertisement