Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Meat Smoker Build

• 14-07-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm planning on building a meat smoker.
    The main idea is brick for the sides and back, recycle an oven door or two for the front, run a gas supply in at the bottom to a burner, cast iron pan is heated by the gas, throw wood chippings on pan for smoke, some sort of a roof with chimney.

Any input would be appreciated.
    I guess I'll need an opening at the bottom for air intake.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Colin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭h.bolla

I saw someone else with one of these and then made one myself and it worked out quite well.

Get one of these:

w w w . watsonhire. i e/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Garden-Incinerator_large.jpg

You can get them in any garden centre for about 30euro

Get a food grade wooden barrel again pick these up for about 30 euro.

And connect the two of them via a flue (I just know its not spelled that way :P ) you will get one of these in any decent plumbing place.

Heres what Im talking about here:

ww w . you tube . com/watch?v=W2rwEzI5Blo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

h.bolla wrote: »
    Heres what Im talking about here:

ww w . you tube . com/watch?v=W2rwEzI5Blo

cant seee ur link, but would it be easier to go with some form of metal barrels or drums rather than bricks

GY A1 wrote: »
    cant seee ur link, but would it be easier to go with some form of metal barrels or drums rather than bricks

Yeh sorry about that. Im not allowed to post links.... emm go to youtube and do a search for

p38 irl cold smoking fish

and it should be the first video there. Let me know if you still cant get it and I'll email you or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I was thinking of something like this

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Build-a-Brick-BBQ-Smoker

with better brickwork

• Advertisement

I was thinking of something like this

with better brickwork

Im sure something like that would work great. Personally I just wanted something functional, cheap and easy to build and no need for a permenant structure of any kind. But yeh, Im sure something like that would work great.

Im sure something like that would work great. Personally I just wanted something functional, cheap and easy to build and no need for a permenant structure of any kind. But yeh, Im sure something like that would work great.

Any pics of your one?? Do you use it often??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Yeh sorry about that. Im not allowed to post links.... emm go to youtube and do a search for

p38 irl cold smoking fish

and it should be the first video there. Let me know if you still cant get it and I'll email you or something.

Interesting

Thanks Maphisto thats the video.

Any pics of your one?? Do you use it often??

No sorry I have no pics on hand but its pretty much identical to the video posted above.

Emm yeh I use it every couple of months. I prefer to smoke as much food as possible in one go instead of making up little bits every other week. I know some people get really into it and use different types of wood for different flavours and get really experimental but Im not that crazy into it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Hi,

''A picture is worth a thousand words''

w w w .google . i e /search?q=w%C4%99dzarnia&client=opera&hs=8sn&channel=suggest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7p7GU_6pIojT7Aa6g4CABw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1333&bih=602

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

how long do u smoke for

Hi,

I smoke meat (pork steak, ham, bacon) and sausages for about 2h, plus about 1h on start for drying (with no smoke).

Can't add any picture because have less then 50 posts (!).

GY A1 wrote: »
    how long do u smoke for

How long is a piece of string...!

Are we talking fish? Cheese? Salami? How thick is it? Do you want to just smoke it to put some flavour or smoke to cook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Don't waste your time with this dustbin, flue, whiskey barrel tomfoolery.

Get yourself on to Amazon buy a bbq smoker box/ bbq smoker for about £10, soak woodchips in water for at least an hour, pop them in the smoker box, pop the smoker box into your gas bbq and bobs your uncle.

I sit the smoker box the right hand gas element(?), on the left hand side under the grills I put a roasting tin with some water in it and on the grill above the water I put my pork/ brisket or whatever you like. Only have the right hand side lit and you can't really go wrong.

If you want some ideas or how to go about it BBQ Pit Boys are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Unfortunately this is only suitable for smallish cuts of meat or fish, and will only hot smoke not cold smoke.
    Nice for stuff like fresh mackerel and the like but as far as longer smoke times you will find the product to be very smoky and almost unedible.
    Great for Camping and fishing trips away though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is only suitable for smallish cuts of meat or fish, and will only hot smoke not cold smoke.
    Nice for stuff like fresh mackerel and the like but as far as longer smoke times you will find the product to be very smoky and almost unedible.
    Great for Camping and fishing trips away though.

I regularly do brisket and pork shoulder this way and it turns out really nice and not overpowering.

I tend to smoke for myself, the missus doesn't like it so while 8lbs of meat is fantastic I don't think I could manage eating a whole cow in 3 days. :D

How's your smoker? Any progress?

Tom75 wrote: »
    How's your smoker? Any progress?

I was going to do a new build but I realised I'm broke so had to change plans a bit. I decided to use the bottom of an existing BBQ as the smoke house. I had an old oven lying around which I stripped for parts. I need to get a gas burner next. I'm thinking of stripping one from an old gas hob (if I can find one).

I also got some meat rabbits a few days back. I had to build a hutch for them (total cost €0) so that took up a lot of my time.

Check my idea, build from barrel, pipe, gas cylinder, stool and few more bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Tom75 wrote: »
    Check my idea, build from barrel, pipe, gas cylinder, stool and few more bits.

Could you give a few more close up pics if possible to show how it works ... it looks right class by the way .

Could you give a few more close up pics if possible to show how it works ... it looks right class by the way .

No problem.

Check other ideas.

My favorite, is smoker from metal locker:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=wedzarnia+z+szafki&client=opera&hs=ScO&channel=suggest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4RvWU9SgCa2y7Abwj4HgBg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=991&bih=655

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHmCKtzDaQ

or barrel:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=wedzarnia+z+beczki&client=opera&hs=LSj&channel=suggest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=cR7WU5mzEKSM7Qbfq4CgCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=991&bih=655

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3ySbm4qzo

And here little bit more sophisticated:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dboy7EtLoOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSXIOIMHe9w

This is my last job:
    Bacon, chicken, pork steak, turkey breast, sausage.
    But this is SMOKED MEAT and smokers (warm or hot smoked), not grilled or bbq. They can bu used as a cold smokers with smoke generator (also home made) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frSrfMjjC3M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Hi, I'm planning on building a meat smoker.
    The main idea is brick for the sides and back, recycle an oven door or two for the front, run a gas supply in at the bottom to a burner, cast iron pan is heated by the gas, throw wood chippings on pan for smoke, some sort of a roof with chimney.

Any input would be appreciated.
    I guess I'll need an opening at the bottom for air intake.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Colin

hi mate can i ask you what prompted you to build one in the first place? my 2 neighbours on both sides of me are building one each. are the popular all of a sudden? and if so do they require planning permission?

tonyheaney wrote: »
    hi mate can i ask you what prompted you to build one in the first place? my 2 neighbours on both sides of me are building one each. are the popular all of a sudden? and if so do they require planning permission?

I think smoking meat is starting to get a little more popular alright. My mate has a smoker and the food is delicious. It's a great way to spend a few hours, tending to the meat/fire/fuel. No permission required, unless you plan to move a few people into it:)

I think smoking meat is starting to get a little more popular alright. My mate has a smoker and the food is delicious. It's a great way to spend a few hours, tending to the meat/fire/fuel. No permission required, unless you plan to move a few people into it:)

hope your not offended by my next question are you polish? my 2 neighbours are polish and im Irish and my wife is Chinese. she wants me to build a small one for her but mine would have all the hall marks of the Titanic if you know what i mean hahaha

tonyheaney wrote: »
    hope your not offended by my next question are you polish? my 2 neighbours are polish and im Irish and my wife is Chinese. she wants me to build a small one for her but mine would have all the hall marks of the Titanic if you know what i mean hahaha

I am offended by that, no wait, no I'm not. I'm Irish, the Polish are big into smoking alright, almost unheard of here. I haven't done much on mine as I've been busy, gonna get it finished soon

I am offended by that, no wait, no I'm not. I'm Irish, the Polish are big into smoking alright, almost unheard of here. I haven't done much on mine as I've been busy, gonna get it finished soon

LOl thats what i mean it is almost unheard of here, post some pics when your done :D

Guys can i ask what is the regulation for having a meat smoker in your garden?? My polish neighbours on both sides have built one and im constantly got some blowing both directions. the pic below in my direct neighbour. Its built under a lot of hedge growth and the smoke waffs in to my 3 yea old bed room. we have tired closing the window but the vents do leave a lot in to the room and house. My wife who is Chinese (im irish) doesn't mind the smell but some times our washing also smalls smoky.

11u7n90.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Have a chat with the neighbour first, a friendly settlement is usually best.
    If that doesn't work then check with your local authority if there is a possible breach of bye-laws.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Smoker is kind of bbq with bigger amount of smoke.
    Ask them, if they can mount chimneys for a smoker (3m pipe is just 10eur), as current situation is very uncomfortable, and you can't get yours windows open (mention child, washing).Maybe they can smoke in different hours (night time), with stronger wind (I start smoking at 5am and smoke is finish max. by 9am), but my neighbors actually waiting when I'll smoke.
    Where are you based? Maybe I know them, and can help you.

Ask - ''Hi lads, what are you doing with this smoke?'', and expect samples ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 smartgardener

Interesting project

Advertisement