Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just two weeks to go!! [it's over]

Options
  • 14-07-2014 2:18pm

The excitement is already building, this day two weeks and the best week of the year is back again...Race week!

I'll be up in Ballybrit the 7 days as always with plenty of nights on the streets of Galway thrown in too, let the fun begin :D:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Rag week with cheap suits and 1euro e/w bets on horses by people pretending to be big shots:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

It's terrible Joe, they're drinking in the streets and congregating outside Superma.....

.... Oh wait, they're not students. It's okay so!

:cool: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

ciano1 wrote: »
    It's terrible Joe, they're drinking in the streets and congregating outside Superma.....

.... Oh wait, they're not students. It's okay so!

:cool: :rolleyes:

Joe, the students are having trouble eating their supermacs! All the chips seem to be on their shoulders!

Race week is just the grown up version of Rag Week - no difference whatsoever except professionals have more disposible cash and therefore the drinking tends to be much worse. Doesn't stop the students and dole recipients from splashing big on €30 penney's suits anyway and heading off with cans shoved into every available suit pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I dont think I'm a lone Galway resident who feels a bit uneasy at the thought of Race Week.

I saw some things last year I hope I never have to see again in my life. Meanwhile trying to have a normal life during traffic gridlock is a nightmare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Tugboats wrote: »
    Rag week with cheap suits and 1euro e/w bets on horses by people pretending to be big shots:o

I was going to say "In Before the Begrudgery", but you got there first. Kudos ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

The double standard is worth pointing out, but in reality both race week and rag week are good craic just for different ages. I'm too old to bother with Rag Week any more but I certain don't get all bitter about younger people having fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't mind the cheap suits tbh. That's very low on the things that are annoying for Race Week.

Salthill is usual a great spot. However it gets very busy though in places like Oslo.

The vast majority of race goers and people who are out after racing are there for a good time (and are well dressed also, contrary to the "cheap suit" suggestions).

It really is a fantastic week though, you have the craic and the gambling at the course and then the unbeatable atmosphere and craic on quay/cross street and in the pubs around there. You won't get anything like it anywhere in the world. Its hard on the pocket and the liver but well worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Awh. This will be my first Race Week in Galway.
    Don't be putting me off it! :(

Its hard on the pocket and the liver but well worth it ;)

So it can clean out your finances and help destroy your liver but it's worth it???
    Okayyyy - personally i prefer to live a long life and not have to worry about finances, i find that's good craic too. ;)

Each to their own though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Let's hope it's not raining ladies day it ruined it last year and it was my first ladies day :(

puma90 wrote: »
    Let's hope it's not raining ladies day it ruined it last year and it was my first ladies day :(

Yeah, nothing worse that scantily dressed ladies running around completely wet and drunk ;)

Larianne wrote: »

Don't be listening to the small minority that don't like it. You will have a fantastic time, people don't travel here from all over Ireland and abroad for nothing.
    zarquon wrote: »
    So it can clean out your finances and help destroy your liver but it's worth it???
    Okayyyy - personally i prefer to live a long life and not have to worry about finances, i find that's good craic too. ;)

Each to their own though!

You probably spend a nice chunk of money going abroad for a holiday though, race week is my main holiday every year. I'd much much rather spend the money on betting and beer than flights and accommodation somewhere else (I might go abroad too, but if I had to choose between the two its the races every single time).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Larianne wrote: »

You working? If you're working just avoid in and around town, both just before the races and after the races each day.

If you're not working, go and enjoy yourself. Though, it's not for everyone. You need to be well on it to enjoy it. If you're anyways sober being surrounded by thousands of people bumping into you, shouting at the top of their lungs and that awful smell of some guy who shat himself or gal who puked all over herself seems much more noticeable while sober.

The people who are begrudging, aren't likely just negative kill joys. They've likely had to live and work in town during the week. I'd imagine for people who live outside of the town, it's alright. Though, when I was growing up. I lived about 20 minutes outside the town and that week was always the week you had to be on your guard. Certain types of people would come around the week before the races and then leave the village again just before the end of them...with a few places robbed along the way.

If you're into Prostitutes, you'll have a ball :pac:

It use to be a dance with death outside of town too...always seemed like local law enforcement tended to be very lenient on drink driving. The amount of swerving cars out on the roads was diabolical.

Personally, I'd have loved it more if I didn't have to live in it!...it's like that saying, don't sh1t where you eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Not looking forward to thousands of people descending on the city to shout, vomit, litter, and make the city centre into the drunken Hunger Games is begrudgery now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

FFS such OTT whinging and moaning going on here. :mad:

Any other town or city on this island (including Dublin) would give anything for a small fraction of the feelgood atmosphere generated in Galway every summer.

Nowhere else does fun like we do, and we are the envy of the rest of the country for it. Every town witnesses the problems associated with exessive drinking every weekend. It's not unique to Galway. But at least we have something to show for it. Something which attracts positive publicity, generates millions for the local economy and provides employment for hundreds of people directly and indirectly.

Race week is the highlight of the Irish annual social calendar and is preceeded by an arts festival that is bigger than the Cork Jazz Festival, Waterford Spraoi Festival and Kilkenny Comedy Festival combined.

And yet the annual local begrudgery continues. Don't be so quick to knock Race Week. You'd miss it if we didn't have it.

Bring it on and lighten up a bit !

Not looking forward to thousands of people descending on the city to shout, vomit, litter, and make the city centre into the drunken Hunger Games is begrudgery now?

Sure that's all part of the show as the man says.

I've been out in town most night after racing for years (usually do 5 nights in a row wed to sun), the atmosphere in town is unbeatable that week, just wall to wall craic! I've had friends from abroad come once and they keep coming back, they think it's epic!

If I was given a free holiday anywhere in the world I'd say no if it clashed with race week.

Lapin wrote: »

Any other town or city on this island (including Dublin) would give anything for a small fraction of the feelgood atmosphere generated in Galway every summer.

Nowhere else does fun like we do, and we are the envy of the rest of the country for it. Every town witnesses the problems associated with exessive drinking every weekend. It's not unique to Galway. But at least we have something to show for it. Something which attracts positive publicity, generates millions for the local economy and provides employment for hundreds of people directly and indirectly.

Race week is the highlight of the Irish annual social calendar and is preceeded by an arts festival that is bigger than the Cork Jazz Festival, Waterford Spraoi Festival and Kilkenny Comedy Festival combined.

And yet the annual local begrudgery continues. Don't be so quick to knock Race Week. You'd miss it if we didn't have it.

Jesus Christ, say anything negative about anything and people just dismiss it as begrudgery. Race week is a massive inconvenience and unpleasant experience for a lot of local people. It attracts positive publicity but it's just RAG week in a suit.

Go and work race week in housekeeping, barwork, transport, emergency services or security and see how much you feel like lightening up then. It's a necessary evil but that doesn't mean people have to just ignore the many, many negatives of it.

Sure that's all part of the show as the man says.

I've been out in town most night after racing for years (usually do 5 nights in a row wed to sun), the atmosphere in town is unbeatable that week, just wall to wall craic! I've had friends from abroad come once and they keep coming back, they think it's epic!

If I was given a free holiday anywhere in the world I'd say no if it clashed with race week.

Erra look, glad you enjoy it and have had such positive experiences of it. I'm not trying to turn anyone off it, just saying it is very, very far from my favourite week of the year and I avoid town during it if I can at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It attracts positive publicity but it's just RAG week in a suit.

Lazy comparison used by people simply because both events occur in the same city. Those who try to excuse the drunken behaviour of a few Donegal students during RAG week often point to Race Week for comparisons too. But where is the multi million euro sporting event associated with RAG week and the addiotional employment spin offs that come with it ?
    Go and work race week in housekeeping, barwork, transport, emergency services or security and see how much you feel like lightening up then.

I have done, many times. And I enjoyed every minute of it. The Galway Races are a fun event with very little trouble. The vast majority of those who attend are in a positive mood and the event generates a good natured feeling around the city.

I have also worked at various other major events throughout Europe where there has been tension in the build up due to a small minority of troublemakers. Galway has none of that. Everyone is into having a good time. (Apart from a few begrudging locals who can't see the value it brings to the city and surrounds).
    It's a necessary evil but that doesn't mean people have to just ignore the many, many negatives of it.

There's nothing evil about it. And whatever little negatives that may exist are far outweighed by the countless positives it brings. We'd be a lot worse off without it.

People just need to lighten up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Right, I think you're getting clouded with the idea that everyone here hates Race Week, I dont think anyone would want to see it removed or gone.

As for the positive atmosphere. I have obviously partaken in Race Week festivities but last year I got off a GoBus at 2am on the night of Ladies Day, so I got a good sober look at what was going on.

It was a jungle, the 'highlight' was a guy throwing another to the ground and taking a run a kicking him full force in the head. The poor guy went out like a light, I thought he was dead but luckily he came around about 90 seconds later. I think the stand off started because one lad fell into the other.

I have to disagree with you when you say there's very little trouble.

Lazy comparison used by people simply because both events occur in the same city. Those who try to excuse the drunken behaviour of a few Donegal students during RAG week often point to Race Week for comparisons too. But where is the multi million euro sporting event associated with RAG week and the addiotional employment spin offs that come with it ?

No, it's used because they're both glorified city wide drinking sessions.
    I have done, many times. And I enjoyed every minute of it. The Galway Races are a fun event with very little trouble. The vast majority of those who attend are in a positive mood and the event generates a good natured feeling around the city.

As have I, and hated every minute of it. As have many of my friends, who also hated every minute of it. People being in a positive mood doesn't really mean diddly squat when they're out of their skull drunk, causing gridlock, making restaurants and bars packed beyond the point where they're any fun etc etc.
    I have also worked at various other major events throughout Europe where there has been tension in the build up due to a small minority of troublemakers. Galway has none of that. Everyone is into having a good time. (Apart from a few begrudging locals who can't see the value it brings to the city and surrounds).

I'm not saying that people are arriving with crow-bars hidden under their ladies day hats, determined to cause trouble and behave anti-socially. I'm saying- I'm going to put this as simply as I can, because you seem to be either having trouble or determined to misunderstand - that that amount of people, drinking that amount of alcohol, in a city as small as Galway is going to be majorly inconvenient or unpleasant for many of the locals. There is no way around it. For people who don't drink, who live or work in the city centre or who don't see the kind of stuff that goes on during race week (gambling, packed bars, lots of drinking) as fun, the likelihood of it being a bad experience goes up and up.
    There's nothing evil about it. And whatever little negatives that may exist are far outweighed by the countless positives it brings. We'd be a lot worse off without it.

I'm not comparing it to Satan. The fact that I described it as a necessary evil might have tipped you off to the fact that I'm well aware that on a city-wide level the positives outweigh the negatives. On a personal level, it's entirely a negative experience for me. But whatever, keep telling the "begrudgers" to "lighten up", it's a super argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ladies don't wear fake tan.

Begrudgery? No, just calling it as I see it.

I'm delighted that the Arts Festival has started though, and that we've got a Fringe as well.

That's pretty damn insulting, I don't know any ladies that don't wear it from time to time for big events such as the races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

That's pretty damn insulting, I don't know any ladies that don't wear it from time to time for big events such as the races.

Lots of women never wear fake tan, no matter what the occasion. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I will be praying to the rain gods this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nah, in fairness I'd compare it to RAG Week and Arthurs Day from the perspective of living and working in the city. Where the focus is having 'the craic'...but that is getting very, very drunk. Where as the first Volvo Ocean Race was full of enthusiasts and people just out about having the craic. Even though it was right in the city, the crowd it attracted were into the event, it was a great vibe.

Haven't felt the good nature around the city to be honest. When working in retail in the city, sales were down. The money is all being brought in for hotels and pubs and to a lesser extent some of the restaurants. Even then, I've known a lot of people working in the pubs and nightclubs during the week. They don't feel the good nature.

It was nice working outside the city, when people were going to the village bookies and everybody was talking about tips and you'd have people stopping in on their way in. But living in the city for years during it was brutal. The closest to the Square that I lived was Lough Atalia one year..the only two weeks I heard any rambling outside was RAG week and Race week.

In the outlying areas around the city, there's some tension when the 'vehicles' arrive the week before. The people working in security and behind the bars, certainly feel a tension. My previous housemate got to witness a bartender in CPs have a break down during RAG week.

I find there's a bit of a sinister nature about it...I'm a little cynical. I see the majority of investment and focus by local representatives are geared at making business for hotels, restaurants and pubs...I'm not sure what the make up is of that Industry now but before I left Galway, a handful of wealthy guys owned the majority of the pubs and hotels. So in essence the majority of the revenue and profit generated for the 'local economy' was going to end up just lining the pockets of those few wealthy people.

Sure, the people working for them also make money but it's a drop in the ocean. Particularly when the likes of the Radisson bring in contractors for one week, ditto the catering companies and the people at the Tote in the race track itself.

Another angle, I've never been comfortable with is the fact that that mult-million euro race track which part of it at least, is a pretty state of the art facility is barely used. Other than the two race meetings and being used for some of the colleges exams. Those buildings sit idle all year, gathering dust.

They really should look at holding a festival over there a few weeks after the races. I'm sure there's all sorts of red tape surrounding that but still, if the collective country gets up in arms about 5 fk'in Garth Brooks gigs being cancelled then such an event should be lucrative enough to break through that red tape. Also, I worked right by the track for almost five years and never saw them schooling horses on the track, couldn't they rent it out for schooling horses. I might have just missed it when they do it but I haven't seen them out on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I am not a race goer but I love the atmosphere in Galway during Race Week, most especially at the weekend. The buzz is electric. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Of course there's going to be trouble when there's so many people around the city for the week, but it's nothing you wouldn't see outside Supermacs at 2.30am during any college night out. More people = more trouble naturally.

Galway would be a lesser city without it. Brilliant week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Begrudgery? No, just calling it as I see it.

I'm delighted that the Arts Festival has started though, and that we've got a Fringe as well.

Next you'll be telling us Yanks are thin and intelligent! :rolleyes:

As for Wompa and retail sales, its one of our biggest weeks of the year for sales given the amount of people off work and in and around town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement