Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oneplus one announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Alot of resellers have it now so there is a way to buy it without an invite. Slightly higher price mind you but still a great phone even at that price.

Its the chinese version so there is some difference with the software and bands.

http://www.spemall.com/OnePlus-One-Smartphone-WCDMA-4G-LTE-13MP-Camera-Bluetooth-NFC-5-5-Inch-Full-HD-1920-x-1080-pixels-IPS-Screen-Android-4-4-OS-2-5GHz-Quad-Core-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-801-MSM8974AC-3G-Ram_g.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

seannash wrote: »
    Alot of resellers have it now so there is a way to buy it without an invite. Slightly higher price mind you but still a great phone even at that price.

Its the chinese version so there is some difference with the software and bands.

http://www.spemall.com/OnePlus-One-Smartphone-WCDMA-4G-LTE-13MP-Camera-Bluetooth-NFC-5-5-Inch-Full-HD-1920-x-1080-pixels-IPS-Screen-Android-4-4-OS-2-5GHz-Quad-Core-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-801-MSM8974AC-3G-Ram_g.html

Yes in China you can buy their version without an invite. Aside from that being only the 16GB version, see here some more reasons why you shouldn't go near these:
    http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/5-reasons-to-not-buy-the-oneplus-one-from-scalpers.35689/

BTW if you were buying these from a Chinese reseller, you'll most likely also be hit with 23% VAT, the OnePlus prices include VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Anyone know if the bands on the European edition will be compatible with our 4G offerings?

I know that EE and Vodafone in the UK won't work with it for example, but haven't seen it mentioned here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

daRobot wrote: »
    Anyone know if the bands on the European edition will be compatible with our 4G offerings?

Depends what bands your provider uses!

These are the phone's LTE Bands 1/3/4/7/17/38/40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Need a new phone within a couple of weeks. Any realistic hope of being able to get the OnePlusOne within that timeframe?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Need a new phone within a couple of weeks. Any realistic hope of being able to get the OnePlusOne within that timeframe?

Short answer, no. Perhaps take a look at the Find 7 if you're in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Blade wrote: »
    Short answer, no. Perhaps take a look at the Find 7 if you're in a hurry.

In the process of researching the 7A ;)

I'd say you'll have a good chance of getting a OnePlus One before the end of July, if you can wait that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

So the winners of the "Storm" will be announced today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I have seen this thread floating around but have mostly ignored it until today.
    This looks like an amazing phone, the true successor to the Neuxs 4.

Does anyone know if there is plans for a slightly smaller version?
    I like the 5" size and don't really want to go much bigger.

(I know we all say that every time a new phone comes along and in the end we cave and evolve to love the bigger size .. but surely we have come to the limit of phone screen sizes at 5 inches??? Surely?)

• Advertisement

I doubt it they cant properly supply the main one without complicating things with a second version.

I agree size has really gone to its limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Depends what bands your provider uses!

These are the phone's LTE Bands 1/3/4/7/17/38/40

Ireland's bands are:
      - Band 3 (1800MHz)
      - Band 9 (900MHz)
      - Band 20 (800MHz)

The lower the frequency the stronger the signal the further you are from a signal tower. So, 800MHz is better than 1800MHz if you don't live right next door to a signal tower - 1800MHz suits someone in a city. In my opinion, if you think that for whatever reason, you will venture into a semi-rural or rural area, go for 800MHz.
    Will the numbers add up for 4G?
    ComReg, Ireland’s telecoms regulator, awarded Eircom (Meteor), Telefónica and Vodafone lots in the 800MHz, 900MHz and 1,800 MHz frequency bands, while Hutchison 3G Ireland received the 900MHz and 1,800MHz frequency bands.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32545-will-the-numbers-add-up-for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

fionny wrote: »
    So the winners of the "Storm" will be announced today.

Any winners surfaced yet?

Apparently the winners are in the process of being contacted... im feeling this is a no go for me again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Have decided on getting this one. However seems hard to get. Would anyone take a guess as to when it would be possible to buy without waiting on an invite? ALso this band 20 thing for Ireland, would ye reckon it will be corrected on future version for Ireland?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Apparently the winners are in the process of being contacted... im feeling this is a no go for me again :(

you're in a big club at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

ALso this band 20 thing for Ireland, would ye reckon it will be corrected on future version for Ireland?

No, its a hardware issue.
    You can't change it afterwards .

No, its a hardware issue.
    You can't change it afterwards .

I'm referring to a future production batch of phones from the factory.

Actually Blade seems to have said it should be corrected in future versions, hopefully that will be the case.
    There is as already pointed out the issue with it not having band 20 but that shouldn't affect me on the Three network. I'm told you'll be able to send the phone off to the UK to have it modified for band 20 if you really want it. This should only affect the first run of phones and is expected to be fixed in the next./quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

There is as already pointed out the issue with it not having band 20 but that shouldn't affect me on the Three network. I'm told you'll be able to send the phone off to the UK to have it modified for band 20 if you really want it. This should only affect the first run of phones and is expected to be fixed in the next./quote]

Tbh it's probably not going to be an issue for most people. 4g is a nice to have for most. If it's something you want & you're not on Three, you're better off waiting. But you'll likely be waiting a long time, & there's going to be a lot of phones released between now & general availability of the OPO. Sending off the phone to have it modified sounds like a fantasy tbh.

I'll wait tbh probably. Am in no real rush and it's the price factor that appeals too.

How long a wait would you reckon before or after Xmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

I'll wait tbh probably. Am in no real rush and it's the price factor that appeals too.

How long a wait would you reckon before or after Xmas?

Before I would hope! It will be well out of date by then. The next generation of phones will be out in October, so unless they make a name for themselves soon, the OPO will be all but forgotten by Christmas.

Got my hands on one yesterday, first impression is that it's big! Not so much the width but the height. Not easy to use with one hand, but then again I never did anyway. I'll find out more about the band 20 issue soon and post it here. Oh and there's no "yellow" issues with the screen on this either. This was only on the earlier batches.

Here's the speedtest result from it on Three's 4G network in Co. Dublin:

873998757.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Got my hands on one yesterday, first impression is that it's big! Not so much the width but the height. Not easy to use with one hand, but then again I never did anyway. I'll find out more about the band 20 issue soon and post it here. Oh and there's no "yellow" issues with the screen on this either. This was only on the earlier batches.

Here's the speedtest result from it on Three's 4G network in Co. Dublin:

873998757.png

How you snag one of them?

Development or review device or something?

Fieldog wrote: »
    How you snag one of them?

Development or review device or something?

Something along those lines yes. I won't be keeping this one, but getting another for myself hopefully soon. Can mess around with it for a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Something along those lines yes. I won't be keeping this one, but getting another for myself hopefully soon. Can mess around with it for a while though.

Excellent,

Post a few thoughts of how your finding it after a few days if you don't mind, (and if your not tied to NDA) particularly interested to know about battery life etc....

Thinking of shifting the Nexus 5 eventually for one of these...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

Good to hear a boardsie managed to snag one. Keep us posted on updates. Hopefully more of us who want it can actually get it soon.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Post a few thoughts of how your finding it after a few days if you don't mind, (and if your not tied to NDA) particularly interested to know about battery life etc...

Tied to NDA but I'll say what I can say. Hammering the battery tonight with GPS/Bluetooth/wifi on constant, 2 hours solid playing HD video and the remainder other normal constant usage, the battery down to 50% after 6.5 hours. This is on it's first charge, optimisation is supposed to be after the 3rd charge. Also after 1 hour solid of playing HD video the device was only slightly warmer than normal, I believe the Samsung S5 gets very hot after 30 mins.

Not happy about photos taken tonight in low light, a bit blurry but the issue is apparently being addressed by CM. I'm assuming/hoping it is software because when you hold the phone up to take a pic the view is very sharp but when you take the actual pic the resulting photo is a bit blurry. We'll see...

Oh and Antutu score of 38k, top of the list above the S5 etc. and that wasn't from a fresh reboot, so lots of stuff running during the battery test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

So it's got a similar size screen and battery to a Samsung Note 2 which is my current phone. Is this an upgrade over the N2 in terms of screen resolution? Internal memory? CPU?

Does it have a removable battery and a micro SD slot?

Ben

There is an NDA on a phone they are selling openly albeit in tiny tiny amounts? Seems stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

There is an NDA on a phone they are selling openly albeit in tiny tiny amounts? Seems stupid.

And that has already been allowed for review weeks ago? Bizarre.

Blade if you get a chance can you give google maps a go, I was watching a couple of reviews and they said the phone seemed to drop the lock on their location at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lots of these popping up on AliExpress. Tempted to take a punt.

Of course the NDA is no longer relevant as regards the phone in it's current form (as it's already been released) or any other information that's already been made public. But for anything else going on behind the scenes, distribution and future plans etc. I'd need to get an OK. I'll hint or say what I can if it's relevant to Irish buyers.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Lots of these popping up on AliExpress. Tempted to take a punt.

Don't buy a Chinese model from China, the issues already discussed earlier on this thread.

Blade if you get a chance can you give google maps a go, I was watching a couple of reviews and they said the phone seemed to drop the lock on their location at times?

Haven't had time for that but it locks on quickly and seems to have an energy saving mode for GPS where it uses less satellites, maybe in this mode it would be more likely to drop the lock on location. If I get a chance I'll let you know.

• Advertisement

Don't buy a Chinese model from China, the issues already discussed earlier on this thread.

Reviews from guys in UK and they said it was ok.

I'll probably wait a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

This company have lost thousands of potential customers with their absolutely ridiculous "marketing" of a phone which you cannot buy, every day on their Facebook page they are praising this phone to the high heavens, and every day they are getting lashed out of it by angry people who can't buy it.

Farcical stuff

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The question that entered my mind upon reading your post, have they gained more "potential customers" than they've lost?

With demand far outweighing supply I can't see lost "potential customers" as being anything more than temporary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

well i have been hanging around their forums for the last month, and have no clue about how long id be waiting.

even if they drop the damn invites farce and allow yourself to go on a numbered waiting list then if you were number 100,000 then youd know you might have to wait 3/4 months. at least you'd know!

edit....heres an interesting voice of dissent, hes from xda i think.

http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/why-i-will-no-longer-support-oneplus-warning-very-long.45332/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Meh I remember a lot of similar complaints around the first iPhone, really you just expect this sort of thing out of a new smartphone brand launch and I don't get the surprise around it. Some of it reeks a bit of hipsterism. If you're that worried you'll get a bad device, just skip the first open production generation or pay your €300 more for a new Samsung/HTC/Apple device who have multiple generations of the same device under their belt.

• Advertisement

Meh I remember a lot of similar complaints around the first iPhone, really you just expect this sort of thing out of a new smartphone brand launch and I don't get the surprise around it. Some of it reeks a bit of hipsterism. If you're that worried you'll get a bad device, just skip the first open production generation or pay your €300 more for a new Samsung/HTC/Apple device who have multiple generations of the same device under their belt.

I'm not sure about "hipsterism", but I definitely get a whiff of entitled, spoilt brattiness from some of those complaining about not being able to get one, the faux outrage over how much of a failure the launch has been yet those same outraged people are still waiting, vocally, to get one instead of buying a competitors phone, really clinches the hypocrisy cup for me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

They can shove it where the sun don't shine at this stage cringeworthy and embarrassing are just two words I'd describe them as instead of being upfront and honest and saying due to production issues or whatever this phone won't be available until a specific date instead of praising it to the high heavens every day on Facebook, who ever runs their Facebook page is either deluded, arrogant or both surely they can see the amount of abuse they are getting yet they continue with the daily praise of a phone which the vast majority can't purchase.

By the time you can purchase it other phones will be introduced and they won't sell anywhere what they expect.

HTC released the M8 days after it was launched this is how it should be done.

Some of the comments I've read across different sites suggest this was their plan all along. Create a great phone at a great price point but don't actually make it available for general purchase but get the hype machine going so people know the brand and then later announce a new more expensive phone readily available.

I don't know if I believe this was their plan but it does make sense. Who would be taking about OnePlus if they released a high-end phone in the same price bracket as other known manufacturers? No one.

If that's their game I'd just go with the new Nexus or Silver whichever their pushing now.

The low price for the specs was my main draw, just don't want to be paying €500-€600 for a phone at the moment. So am happy to stick with my 4s for now and see what happens.

Oh I totally agree the release system is a complete joke, think they underestimated the demand and failed to have a plan in place if demand exceed production.

I think I'm lucky compared to most as I had originally planned on waiting for a 6s this time next year and only discovered the one plus one like a week ago so my wait hasn't been as agonising :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If that's their game I'd just go with the new Nexus or Silver whichever their pushing now.

The low price for the specs was my main draw, just don't want to be paying €500-€600 for a phone at the moment. So am happy to stick with my 4s for now and see what happens.

Have you checked out the LG G2?

Has greats specs which is up there with the best of phones and is available on groupon for 300 euro with free delivery!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

emo72 wrote: »
    well i have been hanging around their forums for the last month, and have no clue about how long id be waiting.

even if they drop the damn invites farce and allow yourself to go on a numbered waiting list then if you were number 100,000 then youd know you might have to wait 3/4 months. at least you'd know!

edit....heres an interesting voice of dissent, hes from xda i think.

http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/why-i-will-no-longer-support-oneplus-warning-very-long.45332/

That's a very interesting post from Patrick Hill in that thread emo!

To be honest, I was totally put off by this phone from the initial marketing attempt of smashing your phone. I never really gave it a second thought after that, but checked this thread every now and again when it appeared on the front page of the forum to see how it was progressing.

I realise it's just taking the word of one person on the web to heart, rather than taking the word of others to heart, but I feel Patrick has a few good points and I'm really glad I wasn't ever too invested in this phone, as I can feel my rage growing just thinking about it :D

At the same time, I do love all things tech and I hope those who want this phone can get their hands on it asap :)

Guy from Ireland has got one over on xda .

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=53707699&postcount=62
    Hi. I bought from aliexpress. This seller. Fast shipping, lte is working in 3 Ireland, not working in Vodafone as they use channel 20.everuthing fast and smooth. Have 16gb version. Cm was pre-installed and ota received.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...837432245.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement