Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Hey, the elderly are people too! :)
    Just because many are a captive audience who, as pointed out, will watch pretty much anything, that doesn't mean they like it. As the older generations become more DVD/Streaming savvy, we'll see this show fade unless it picks up.
    With changing hosts there is always hope, but using the ever changing, never be the same again, world as a reasoning for the shows quality decline is baloney. There are still amazing interviews and documentaries happening. The Internet means we get news fast but generally sound bite driven snippets. Although this is enough for some people who skim the main points, some are interested in the story. That's, sadly, what the LLS fails to deliver. It gives no more insight then you can get from Wikipedia or any random youtube search. That's bad production and presentation, not because of the times. Its not even necessarily due to lack of Hollywood talent as guests. Even back in the days of Gay the shine wore off if there wasn't a good anecdote teased out of them. The only entertaining thing about having a Hollywood A-lister on the LLS would be waiting on Ryan's gaffe.
    He plain sucks and there seems to be no talent in the production department.
    "You're sick, tell us about it" "Your famous, what's that like?"
    Riveting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

For Reals wrote: »
    Hey, the elderly are people too! :)
    Just because many are a captive audience who, as pointed out, will watch pretty much anything, that doesn't mean they like it. As the older generations become more DVD/Streaming savvy, we'll see this show fade unless it picks up.
    With changing hosts there is always hope, but using the ever changing, never be the same again, world as a reasoning for the shows quality decline is baloney. There are still amazing interviews and documentaries happening. The Internet means we get news fast but generally sound bite driven snippets. Although this is enough for some people who skim the main points, some are interested in the story. That's, sadly, what the LLS fails to deliver. It gives no more insight then you can get from Wikipedia or any random youtube search. That's bad production and presentation, not because of the times. Its not even necessarily due to lack of Hollywood talent as guests. Even back in the days of Gay the shine wore off if there wasn't a good anecdote teased out of them. The only entertaining thing about having a Hollywood A-lister on the LLS would be waiting on Ryan's gaffe.
    He plain sucks and there seems to be no talent in the production department.
    "You're sick, tell us about it" "Your famous, what's that like?"
    Riveting.

Tubridy's show offers nothing to older or younger audiences. I am aware of people of all ages who view it as poor. Young or old alike can sit back and pop in a DVD of their favourite action film, western, TV series, comedy, concert, etc. instead or they can switch to Graham Norton, the TNG western, or even the BBC news if they prefer.

Tubridy has a lot of competition and it is far more entertaining. But Tubridy does not even seem to care: he continues on as always. He is one of the poorest chatshow around at present. It seems to have no audience in mind or either does it satisfy the 'something for everybody' philosophy'. Something for nobody would be more of a description!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

While I agree whole heartedly with the multi disciplined tradesman above, I think this whole discussion is pointless. The problem with the show is hugely down to the presenter, and RTE will not fire Tubridy, it simply will not happen..

Watching his ex colleague Oliver Callan the other night, it is clear to me that Oliver Callan is the only person in Montrose who is prepared to cast a critical eye on Tubridy and his dreadful tenure of The Late Late Show. They've stood by him through his interviews with Juliette Binnoche, Ronan Keating, Cuba Gooding Junior, The Anchormen etc etc.... it's been apparent from very early on that the only thing the man is proficient in is bootlicking..

RTE can see that Graham Norton is THE most popular talk show, so why do they have the ANTI - Graham Norton, self confessed nerd Tubridy, presenting their flagship alternative.. I'm sure Tubridy is a nice guy, but my accountant is a nice guy and I wouldnt give have him presenting a TV show..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Watching his ex colleague Oliver Callan the other night, it is clear to me that Oliver Callan is the only person in Montrose who is prepared to cast a critical eye on Tubridy and his dreadful tenure of The Late Late Show. They've stood by him through his interviews with Juliette Binnoche, Ronan Keating, Cuba Gooding Junior, The Anchormen etc etc.... it's been apparent from very early on that the only thing the man is proficient in is bootlicking..

Callan either reads the LLS thread or maybe it is apparent to all that Tubs is a bumbling presenter and can only operate (badly) off the cue cards.

Tubridy needs to be pulled from the LLS and given a quiz show where he can read questions off cards to his little hearts content.

A new presenter is needed.....urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If RTE coughed up our money for GN would more people watch the show?? I think personally they would but the older generation wouldnt get him but would still watch out of loyalty!

FFS they even watch Brendan O'Connor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Mc Love wrote: »
    If RTE coughed up our money for GN would more people watch the show?? I think personally they would but the older generation wouldnt get him but would still watch out of loyalty!

Graham Norton is about as likely to quit the BBC for the Late Late Show, as Bryan Dobson is to leave RTE to join the Tuam Herald.

He has the best job in British TV. And the LLS has a ridiculous format which is at least 20 years out of date. No matter who was presenting it, people would be on here whinging about the host

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dingy2

Late Late Show is well past it's due date and should be gotten rid off

Callan either reads the LLS thread or maybe it is apparent to all that Tubs is a bumbling presenter and can only operate (badly) off the cue cards.

Tubridy needs to be pulled from the LLS and given a quiz show where he can read questions off cards to his little hearts content.

A new presenter is needed.....urgently.

Tubridy's tenure as host has indeed seen this show go downhill completely. Poor interviewing and focus on the wrong issues has made many a guest seem boring. A typical Tubridy set of questions:

So, you have some Irish blood in you?
    What part of Ireland do your anscestors comes from?
    Do you like being in Ireland?
    What do you like best about Ireland?
    How is your newborn baby?
    Can you show me a photo of your new baby?

etc., etc. That is the talent of the Tubridy!

There is a tradition to watching the LLS, specifically the Toy Show, not unlike very lapsed religious folk attending midnight mass.
    Gaybo himself heralded Tubbs as the chosen one set to make the LLS more like the David Letterman style of entertainment talk show he had wanted it to be, which it currently fails to do miserably, (the banter with the house band, occasional wink to camera).
    The Irish heritage fixation stems back to the pre-internet, early days of U2 when the chance of a famous person having any Irish connection was a national win. Of all things carried over from those days, they select and flog the deadest of horses. As with the misery corner, these were only ever aired if there was an unusual angle, as sadly we all know somebody or of somebody with an illness, why just interview somebody because they are sick?
    We don't need to make comparisons to others hosts or show budgets. Gay went up against Parkinson. Norton is a babbling court Jester compared to Parkinson, just sayin'.
    Tubbs is a below par presenter who was handed a plumb job by birthright. He didn't earn it through talent or fight his way into and upward in broadcasting. That's why he has no edge or bite to him. And I feel the producers, who could pull something together from all this, are either following Tubb's lead, or simply not capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Graham Norton earns 2.6m pounds a year.

RTE could never afford that nor would the public allow them to pay someone that highly.

Also even if Norton did come here he still wouldn't get the A list guests that he gets on BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Graham Norton earns 2.6m pounds a year.

RTE could never afford that nor would the public allow them to pay someone that highly.

Also even if Norton did come here he still wouldn't get the A list guests that he gets on BBC.

He still had A listers on his Channel 4 show! RTE should have approached him before that ended!

What Ireland needs on a friday night is an entertainment much like what Tubridy tonight used to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He still had A listers on his Channel 4 show! RTE should have approached him before that ended!

And the common denominator of both his BBC and Channel 4 shows?

London.

We don't get the same calibre of A-listers coming through Dublin on a regular basis unfortunately.

They probably should have approached him but to be honest RTE are not renowned for their vision are they? They tend to try and force the square pegs already in Montrose into the round holes that they want to fill instead of shopping around for newer pegs with rounder edges.

What Ireland needs on a friday night is an entertainment much like what Tubridy tonight used to be!

For some strange reason, Tubridy was quite good on this show and even his first year doing the LLS. It is in the last 3 years or so he has totally lost his knack for presenting chatshows.

I think he suited the light, not taken too serious, show he had prior to the LLS. He hasn't the depth or charisma to carry off any form of solid interview other than what we get off him, "Hollywood!, sure that's great for you. And you're sure you're not Irish?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Some might enjoy the hatchet-job review of Tubridy's Christmas book, The Irish Are Coming, which appeared in the most recent issue of Phoenix magazine. I include some quotes for your delectation:

For context, the book "consists of short pen portraits of forty or so Irish personalities who 'made a significant impact on British life'".

"What becomes immediately evident is that the most important celebrity story of all is that of the author himself. Tubs chips in regularly with some well-worn words of wisdom ... This results in a lot of showbiz gossip dressed up as serious analysis.

"Ryan is desperately eager to please, of course, and can only find integrity wherever he looks. Actor Chris O'Dowd is a 'good guy with a big heart'. Jonathan Swift ("the godfather of satire") might well have been a handful, but 'inside his works is the beating heart of humanity'. Even (Michael O'Leary) has 'a big heart in there despite all the bluster'.

"Oblivious to the dangers of over-simplification, he is quite content to cram the life and career of George Bernard Shaw into a page or two.

"Tubs's heavy-handed writing is rather too partial to the cliche. Irish people emigrate 'in their droves', comedians 'strut their stuff', while rock bands 'burst on to the scene'. Fortunately, the Irish love nothing more than being out 'enjoying the craic'.

"Ryan's own vibe is slight entertainment and The Irish Are Coming manages to be entirely trite, with too many hackneyed anecdotes and giddy hyperbole. His natural comfort zone is inane gossip about Bond movies and boy bands. Like so many celeb books aimed at the Christmas market, this one gets duller and more tiresome as it goes on.

"Readers will learn nothing new from Tubs's latest exercise in self-indulgence - other than the blindingly obvious fact that a minority of Irish emigrants has found success in Britain."

Younger Audience: It is perceived as uncool by younger audiences. Kids are into these boybands but are probably getting to see them elsewhere. No 15 year old is going to admit to watching Tubridy are they!!

Stupid fillerinner games with the audience. The stupid modern pop songs played by the band when guests make their way from the back to the studio. Etc, etc.

I wonder what percentage of the audience, when One Direction appeared, was under 20! Maybe ~10%? The problem is that any seriousness to the show will make it uncool/uninteresting to younger viewers.

Chuckle! Those audience interactions are horrendous, aren't they?! It's cringe-inducing watching the nervous participants play a pointless game.

For Reals wrote: »
    Norton is a babbling court Jester compared to Parkinson, just sayin'.

Tubbs … didn't earn it through talent or fight his way into and upward in broadcasting. That's why he has no edge or bite to him. And I feel the producers, who could pull something together from all this, are either following Tubb's lead, or simply not capable.

I disagree on the first. I think it takes a great amount of skill to interview several people at the same time, as Norton does. He conducts the show effortlessly.

Tubrudy earned it because of his performance on Saturdays. Remarkably, there have been three producers over the course of Tubridy’s tenure.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

As I said earlier, RTE has a policy of not paying an appearance fee to guests who are plugging something. So, it must be incredibly difficult to fill a two-hour show on a weekly basis.

I'm not sure I agree. We each have our own idea of what constitutes entertainment! The old LLS used to work because it combined a lot of those. I think Graham Norton is excellent, but I only watch it if there is a particularly appealing (to me) guest being interviewd.

For some strange reason, Tubridy was quite good (during) his first year doing the LLS. It is in the last 3 years or so he has totally lost his knack for presenting chatshows.

I don't agree: his debut serious interview with Cowen was a disaster.

A general point: the LLS, as it is, requires a very rare breed of presenter: one who can do serious debate, human interest interviews, and entertaining celebrity-chats. If the LLS were broken into its constituent parts, up-and-coming unknowns could be tried. For instance, Eoghan McDermott may be able to do the celeb interviewing well, but he could NEVER be considered for the LLS because of the other requirements. I agree with someone’s suggestion above that Sean Moncrief could be very good.

Tubridy's book, The Irish Are Coming, is awful. I looked through it and it is Friday nights in print form basically! Louis Walsh and One Direction feature bigtime. I can't understand is obsession with these (I always assumed Tubridy was more of a Frank Sinatra man back in the Tubridy Tonight days?????).

Tubridy's debut interview with Brian Cowen was a disaster for sure (a hint of things to come). Tubridy is not good at dealing with serious issues at all for sure. His show is supposed to be entertaining but instead it is lightweight and silly overall. Typically, it followings:

Section 1: some b-celeb plugs their whatever it is they do. Tubridy talks babies and being Irish to them.
    Section 2: some sports star comes on and the interview conducted the same as section 1.
    Section 3: the misery slot with Tubridy coming across as condescending.
    Section 4: the best guest will usually be last and Tubridy will not engage with them. Back to the babbies!

The making of a good show is the right host and good guests. With Tubridy's LLS, you often have neither. Every year, he promises he will change and 'make the show his own'. But, Tubridy will continue to be a very poor host it seems.

Prior to Tubridy, Pat Kenny hosted the show from 1999 to 2009. He was often called unfit for light entertainment by his critics but he was a way better presenter of the show than Tubridy. He had a better interviewing technique and while he had his poor shows, Kenny was never one to grovel to the likes of Louis Walsh.

Kenny succeeded Gaybo who is the show really. Gaybo was a great host and had good guests. But, Gaybo was doing the show in a different time when more came to Ireland and more were alive that were very interesting guests. The music and entertainment world back then was filled with real legends and not just plasticy boy bands and dance acts. During his tenure, Gaybo had Hollywood icons, founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, top world comedians, top soccer stars, and plenty of good debates on his show. I know Tubridy cannot compete with this but still he does not make an effort to improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

During his tenure, Gaybo had Hollywood icons, founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, top world comedians, top soccer stars.

you must have watched a different LLS under GB that I saw. It was always sh!t to me. Awful interviews and guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Some might enjoy the hatchet-job review of Tubridy's Christmas book,

^ I did enjoy it, thanks.. :D

Tubridy said earlier this year that he had a two book deal. The JFK book was his own idea (surprise surprise) but that he had to basically look around for an idea for the second book. Hardly a great pretext for writing a masterpiece.. The publisher and himself basically cashed in on his celebrity.. You couldnt imagine a proper broadcaster like Pat Kenny doing something like that..

MidlandsM wrote: »
    you must have watched a different LLS under GB that I saw. It was always sh!t to me. Awful interviews and guests.

Yes, Gaybo had his poor shows too!! Gaybo was also to blame for originally promoting the likes of Louis Walsh, Twink and all the other 'traditions' we have seen ever since! Maureen Potter of course was all too often on as well back in those days.

But Gaybo often did have top world reknowned guests as well. And unlike Tubridy, he could interview them properly. Gaybo's show was far from perfect (I don't know if it is possible to present a show for 30 weeks of the year or so and please everyone all the time) but you could always see he was in control and tried his best. You get the feeling with Tubridy that he is just going through the motions.

Yes, Gaybo had his poor shows too!! Gaybo was also to blame for originally promoting the likes of Louis Walsh, Twink and all the other 'traditions' we have seen ever since! Maureen Potter of course was all too often on as well back in those days.

But Gaybo often did have top world reknowned guests as well. And unlike Tubridy, he could interview them properly. Gaybo's show was far from perfect (I don't know if it is possible to present a show for 30 weeks of the year or so and please everyone all the time) but you could always see he was in control and tried his best. You get the feeling with Tubridy that he is just going through the motions.

yep, I do agree that Tubs looks like to be going thru' the motions...that he does'nt want to be there anymore.....that its a real chore. Maybe he wants to head to London for good?

• Advertisement

^ I did enjoy it, thanks.. :D

Tubridy said earlier this year that he had a two book deal. The JFK book was his own idea (surprise surprise) but that he had to basically look around for an idea for the second book. Hardly a great pretext for writing a masterpiece.. The publisher and himself basically cashed in on his celebrity.. You couldnt imagine a proper broadcaster like Pat Kenny doing something like that..

So, he decided to write a book to capture his Friday nights in print form unfortunately! In fairness, the JFK book was well written and interesting but the second book is the usual licking the boots of the mediocre we have come to expect from him. We have come to see Tubridy's efforts getting poorer and poorer every year.

The show he does is tedious, overlong and becoming more uncool by the week. I read that he is now writing a children's book, which is his forte to be honest. He is 100% a children's TV host and the toy show proves this: it is the only show he looks 100% comfortable on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Viewing figures - week ending 15, Dec:

Late Late Show - 517k
    Room to Improve - 493k

Aertel TV Ratings

Late Late Show - 517k
    Room to Improve - 493k

Aertel TV Ratings

it's not great when an oul "do up yer house" prog has near the same ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've never been a fan but caught a clip on Republic of telly of the Anchorman guys interview. Holy **** a transition year student could do a better job than Tubridy.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    it's not great when an oul "do up yer house" prog has near the same ratings?

At least Room to Improve is presented professionally, is less than an hour long, does not go on all year, and there is no big mystery about what will be one it. With RTI, you get what you expect.

With Tubridy, you get worse than expected. The show is presented by a buffoon, and it goes on way too long over and night and over the year!

sweetie wrote: »
    I've never been a fan but caught a clip on Republic of telly of the Anchorman guys interview. Holy **** a transition year student could do a better job than Tubridy.

I gave up watching the show because of interviews like that. It is worse than bad! It is the single worst programme on TV in recent times.

There is not even a thread created for tomorrow night's show!! No one is even interested in saying bad things about it let alone good. It is therefore totally irrelevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

There is not even a thread created for tomorrow night's show!! No one is even interested in saying bad things about it let alone good. It is therefore totally irrelevent.

A lot of sweeping statements there BP!

Best wait until tomorrow night and have a read of a very enjoyable thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,779 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

A lot of sweeping statements there BP!

Best wait until tomorrow night and have a read of a very enjoyable thread...

Kittehs!
    Puppehs!
    Kian Egan! Whoops, should have kept that quiet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Late Late Show - 517k
    Room to Improve - 493k

Aertel TV Ratings

The real question there is what happened to the Saturday Night Show's ratings that week? It crashed out of the Top 10, and it is usually very close to the LLS. If the usual weekend viewers were out at pre-Christmas festivities, then the LLS did very well to stay at no.1 and maintain most of its audience.
    Is it too late to save The Saturday Night Show? :rolleyes:

Oh dear.

latelate.jpg

Advertisement