Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

^ I did enjoy it, thanks.. :D

Tubridy said earlier this year that he had a two book deal. The JFK book was his own idea (surprise surprise) but that he had to basically look around for an idea for the second book. Hardly a great pretext for writing a masterpiece.. The publisher and himself basically cashed in on his celebrity.. You couldnt imagine a proper broadcaster like Pat Kenny doing something like that..

So, he decided to write a book to capture his Friday nights in print form unfortunately! In fairness, the JFK book was well written and interesting but the second book is the usual licking the boots of the mediocre we have come to expect from him. We have come to see Tubridy's efforts getting poorer and poorer every year.

The show he does is tedious, overlong and becoming more uncool by the week. I read that he is now writing a children's book, which is his forte to be honest. He is 100% a children's TV host and the toy show proves this: it is the only show he looks 100% comfortable on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Viewing figures - week ending 15, Dec:

Late Late Show - 517k
    Room to Improve - 493k

Aertel TV Ratings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Late Late Show - 517k
    Room to Improve - 493k

Aertel TV Ratings

it's not great when an oul "do up yer house" prog has near the same ratings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've never been a fan but caught a clip on Republic of telly of the Anchorman guys interview. Holy **** a transition year student could do a better job than Tubridy.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    it's not great when an oul "do up yer house" prog has near the same ratings?

At least Room to Improve is presented professionally, is less than an hour long, does not go on all year, and there is no big mystery about what will be one it. With RTI, you get what you expect.

With Tubridy, you get worse than expected. The show is presented by a buffoon, and it goes on way too long over and night and over the year!

sweetie wrote: »
    I've never been a fan but caught a clip on Republic of telly of the Anchorman guys interview. Holy **** a transition year student could do a better job than Tubridy.

I gave up watching the show because of interviews like that. It is worse than bad! It is the single worst programme on TV in recent times.

There is not even a thread created for tomorrow night's show!! No one is even interested in saying bad things about it let alone good. It is therefore totally irrelevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

There is not even a thread created for tomorrow night's show!! No one is even interested in saying bad things about it let alone good. It is therefore totally irrelevent.

A lot of sweeping statements there BP!

Best wait until tomorrow night and have a read of a very enjoyable thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

A lot of sweeping statements there BP!

Best wait until tomorrow night and have a read of a very enjoyable thread...

Kittehs!
    Puppehs!
    Kian Egan! Whoops, should have kept that quiet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Late Late Show - 517k
    Room to Improve - 493k

Aertel TV Ratings

The real question there is what happened to the Saturday Night Show's ratings that week? It crashed out of the Top 10, and it is usually very close to the LLS. If the usual weekend viewers were out at pre-Christmas festivities, then the LLS did very well to stay at no.1 and maintain most of its audience.
    Is it too late to save The Saturday Night Show? :rolleyes:

Oh dear.

latelate.jpg

Skid X wrote: »
    The real question there is what happened to the Saturday Night Show's ratings that week? It crashed out of the Top 10, and it is usually very close to the LLS. If the usual weekend viewers were out at pre-Christmas festivities, then the LLS did very well to stay at no.1 and maintain most of its audience.
    Is it too late to save The Saturday Night Show? :rolleyes:

My OP demonstrated that there has been a prolonged decline of the Late Late Show (in terms of viewing figures). The Saturday Night Show has increased its ratings over that period, and is having its most successful year (average 435 000 per week). Therefore, I don't think that question is legitimate.

My OP demonstrated that there has been a prolonged decline of the Late Late Show (in terms of viewing figures). The Saturday Night Show has increased its ratings over that period, and is having its most successful year (average 435 000 per week). Therefore, I don't think that question is legitimate.

The Saturday Night Show is far superior to Tubridy's show. It can cover more and at a better pace within an hour. Many people have changed their goings out to Friday instead of Saturday (I got into that habit in 2012 with SNS followed by Love/Hate on Saturdays towards the end of the year and I realised it made sense!). Tubridy is a 2 hour plus drag and he is such an annoying presenter as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

The Saturday Night Show is far superior to Tubridy's show. It can cover more and at a better pace within an hour. Many people have changed their goings out to Friday instead of Saturday (I got into that habit in 2012 with SNS followed by Love/Hate on Saturdays towards the end of the year and I realised it made sense!). Tubridy is a 2 hour plus drag and he is such an annoying presenter as well.

One Turd doesn't smell as bad as the other.....
    Neither are quality and one of the Saturday Night show's plus points is it's length. Two twats of differing type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

At least Room to Improve is presented professionally, is less than an hour long, does not go on all year, and there is no big mystery about what will be one it. With RTI, you get what you expect.

With Tubridy, you get worse than expected. The show is presented by a buffoon, and it goes on way too long over and night and over the year!

Uh... when was the last time the LLS aired in July?

:o:o:D:D:D:D;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Would gladly have Sean Moncrieff take over from Turbidy.
    He's intelligent, witty and has the ability to interview people, something which Tubridy clearly lacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

Haven't watched it in over a year I'd say OP.

TV ratings for week ending Jan 12 show Late Late Show averaged 643 000 viewers. That was the week when Joe Schmidt, Kian Egan, and, erm...Chris Hadfield were on.

TV Ratings - week ending Jan 12 | RTE Aertel

Is the ~100k increase a result of it being the first show of the year, or should we coin a phrase - the Hadfield Effect?

TV ratings for week ending Jan 19 show Late Late Show averaged 595 000 viewers.

TV Ratings - week ending Jan 19 | RTE Aertel

Again, it's difficult to say whether this is the norm because Andrew Scott, form Sherlcok, was a guest. However, I suppose, if they can consistantly attract very good guests, maybe it is the norm. Alas, from experience, we know that they can't.

Not sure why, but for third successive week, Saturday Night Show not shown in top ten. I cannot believe that it would be bettered by a Saturday night Winning Streak, or Tuesday night Eastenders, so can only assume something is wrong.

Not sure why, but for third successive week, Saturday Night Show not shown in top ten. I cannot believe that it would be bettered by a Saturday night Winning Streak, or Tuesday night Eastenders, so can only assume something is wrong.

The line-ups for all four SNS episodes in January were remarkably terrible. :(;)

Uh... when was the last time the LLS aired in July?

:o:o:D:D:D:D;);)

196? as an originally intended summer filler inner show. No one then knew this would one day mutate into the Tubridy.

As for now, Tubridy is on long enough from September-December, January-May and for over 2 hours per week. We do not want him in July!!!:D:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is it just me or does Tubridy emphasis (shout) certain words as he's speaking in a very cringey way?

Is he just nervous or totally incompetent? I watched some of last weeks one for the first time in a while..the longer you stay away from it, the more crapper it seems when you watch it again.

Is it just me or does Tubridy emphasis (shout) certain words as he's speaking in a very cringey way?

Is he just nervous or totally incompetent? I watched some of last weeks one for the first time in a while..the longer you stay away from it, the more crapper it seems when you watch it again.

That is how I feel too. Tubridy shouts his intros and often says it so quick and indistinct you don't get to hear what he says. Brendan O'Connor, whatever your view on him (I like him personally), is a better presenter and talks clearer.

I think Tubridy is nervous and incompetent and has a hangup on certain things like boybands, b-rate actors, Irish sports stars, etc. I more or less gave up watching him last year and decided to go to the pub instead on Friday nights. The pub, like the LLS, has also become very poor (and there may be only 1 or 2 in them on Friday nights .. watching guess what? Tubridy!!) over the past 6 monthsor so. Maybe them guys on the one way ticket to Mars have a point afterall ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

Too late to save RTE perhaps ...

Too late to save RTE perhaps ...

Many good shows on RTE. Some poor ones too. Tubridy's show is supposedly the flagship show of RTE, although it is in the viewers' perspective Love/Hate. More Nidge, less Tubs is what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

There are one too many chat shows on RTE at the weekend. Keep both the LLS and the SS and they will keep being filled by Z list RTE 'celebrities'.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    There are one too many chat shows on RTE at the weekend. Keep both the LLS and the SS and they will keep being filled by Z list RTE 'celebrities'.

I agree. Tubridy's show is way too long for starters. Even Tubridy himself admitted this! You get the feeling often he is just trying to fill in the spaces. Brendan O'Connor's show (even if some of the guests are poor) is much shorter and much better pace.

Chat shows on RTE have come and gone. The most dreary of them certainly was Pat Kenny's 2009-2013 The Frontline, which was an attempt to hone in on the discussion aspect of the The Late Late Show (instead, it became a very boring and bad tempered affair bogged down on one topic: the corruption economy and banks). On the other end of the spectrum, you have Tubridy's airhead interviews of celebrities and his by now infamous 'baby talk'. The Saturday Night Show is the best of them at the moment and shows the ideal length and pace of such shows. The daytime shows come and go.

BUT rather than having all of the above, you could have the one show with good guests and inventive discussion/debates (NOT more of the corruption economy negativity as surely there are other things to discuss rather than flogging this dead horse). Likewise, surely there is much more to Ireland than Louis Walsh, boybands and reality TV candidates.

Many good shows on RTE. Some poor ones too. Tubridy's show is supposedly the flagship show of RTE, although it is in the viewers' perspective Love/Hate. More Nidge, less Tubs is what we need.

Too much of a good thing can be bad, y'know... ;)

Chat shows on RTE have come and gone. The most dreary of them certainly was Pat Kenny's 2009-2013 The Frontline, which was an attempt to hone in on the discussion aspect of the The Late Late Show (instead, it became a very boring and bad tempered affair bogged down on one topic: the corruption economy and banks).

Not the Fr*ntl*ne again...

Go on, admit it. You actually liked that show, didn't you? :o:o:D;)

You also appear to be forgetting that it was really just Questions and Answers with a new name, a different presenter and a tougher approach... :o:)

The Saturday Night Show is the best of them at the moment and shows the ideal length and pace of such shows.

But as I've said above, January was an AWFUL month for the SNS. :(

Most of the guests were relatively unknown and dull, and too much time was given to discussing the Voice of Ireland and Operation Transformation.

I don't think all this wouldn't have looked terribly out of place on the LLS... :(

Likewise, surely there is much more to Ireland than Louis Walsh, boybands and reality TV candidates.

No use explaining this to the folks at Montrose, though. They'll more than likely treat you as though you've grown a second head... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Look, they take the path of least resistance. Why? Because thanks to the taxpayer they will get paid anyway and the majority of them were born into the broadcast industry and have no passion for story telling or entertaining. They make up programme ideas on the fly and the talent pool depends on the pot luck DNA of their collective family gene pools.

That's why we've myriad hidden camera shows, unfunny sketch shows, Louis Walsh/boybands, mad Twink etc. on a regular basis. Also why we get saturated with the occasional 'good' show they happen, by chance, to commission; Love Hate, Paths to Freedom etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Chatshows are dead. A-listers have pre-determined questions that they answer by rote. Wannabes are too boring to tolerate. People used to be paid to watch audition tapes - now we pay for the privilege.
    Graham Norton succeeds because he knows this and just brings on a gang of celebs pretending to have fun. He proves his point when he dunks a viewer / audience member off a chair at the end of the night.
    Tubridy fails because he still actually believes in chat shows. He believes he should be in control of the moment (and fails even that with his little notes) - not the guest. This works for disease of the week and the toy show. It is why he could not handle a Ustinov or a Milligan and would steer clear of anybody liable to upset the important men in suits.
    Watch Gaybo fry Pee Flynn for a laugh. Or let Spike go off on one. Peter Sellars showing up with his helmet on is good too. Or throwing that drunk shrink off the set. Ollie Reed jumping some actress doing pushups on live TV is a particular favourite memory.
    None of the above four moments would or could happen in our present day PC climate with our present boy scout host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hsanz114clayton

Hey People.Any word yet on who Tonights guests might be?

Many Thanks : )

Rosenstock; Katie Hopkins (snob from Apprentice - "The only candidate to say 'no' to Sir Alan."

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hsanz114clayton

Ah yes, Thanks for the prompt reply poster .I vaguely remember hearing this morning on the radio about Mario R being the first guest Tubridy has on.Hes always good for a laugh :) I think I remember that Apprentice candidate from the show if she is the one im thinking of...Didnt she appear on the Late Late before?possitbly with Pat:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Science will find a way

00085568-630.jpg

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
    Paul Williams
    John Gilligan
    Tom Vaughn-Lawlor
    The Wolfe Tones

I wish :)

It really is

Mario Rosenstock
    Solo Boyband Mike Denver
    And a snob off The Apprentice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
    Paul Williams
    John Gilligan
    Tom Vaughn-Lawlor
    The Wolfe Tones

I wish :)

Mahmoud vs. Adolf Hitler (resurrected from hell for one night only to debate immigration issues. They discover in the end that they need to set up a new party and look for that FG ones number).

Gilligan v. Williams (both compete to tell lies about each other. Nobody believes either)

Nidge vs. the bloke who looks like him with the posh accent

The Wolfe Tones can audition for Louis Walsh (gotta keep Tubs happy) while the lads are fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The quality of the guests is also shocking and has greatly declined, How many times a season does a real A lister go on the LLS, Tubs of course is terrible he can't cope when things go away from the boring usual cue card questions, he makes even interesting guests boring simply by asking bad questions, The other thing i hate with the LLS is the repeat of guests and the constant fawning over xfactor type celebs from Ireland, i mean WTF he asked the Anchorman cast about One Direction what a waste of a question their sits some major Hollywood Actors and he asks about a ****ing boy band. The seasonally appearance of Louis Walsh and the like is also very tiresome they have nothing new to say of interest, "so Louis back for another season of X Factor, how's Simon doing" i'd say those questions have been asked every season since Tubbs took over. The LLS simply isn't good compared with other chat shows who is going to be watching a host with no charisma or real ability interview C Listers about their Irish connections when you can watch GN week in week out interviewing A list celebs in a funny and interesting way.

The quality of the guests is also shocking and has greatly declined, How many times a season does a real A lister go on the LLS, Tubs of course is terrible he can't cope when things go away from the boring usual cue card questions, he makes even interesting guests boring simply by asking bad questions, The other thing i hate with the LLS is the repeat of guests and the constant fawning over xfactor type celebs from Ireland, i mean WTF he asked the Anchorman cast about One Direction what a waste of a question their sits some major Hollywood Actors and he asks about a ****ing boy band. The seasonally appearance of Louis Walsh and the like is also very tiresome they have nothing new to say of interest, "so Louis back for another season of X Factor, how's Simon doing" i'd say those questions have been asked every season since Tubbs took over. The LLS simply isn't good compared with other chat shows who is going to be watching a host with no charisma or real ability interview C Listers about their Irish connections when you can watch GN week in week out interviewing A list celebs in a funny and interesting way.

I don't know what the obsession with One Direction is. And with Louis and boybands in general. Tubridy is all over them and mentions them everywhere. On the other side of the coin, I can't see why he dropped Jedward so fast. Never seen them on his show since May 2012 I think.

I don't know what the obsession with One Direction is. And with Louis and boybands in general. Tubridy is all over them and mentions them everywhere. On the other side of the coin, I can't see why he dropped Jedward so fast. Never seen them on his show since May 2012 I think.

Around the time that Jedward were doing XFactor, and before they had appeared on his show, I remember Tubridy used to ask every guest what they thought of them, trying to elicit a negative comment. I thought it was really crass that he would seek, on an almost weekly basis, to mock what are effectively kids, on Ireland's most watched TV programme, but, fair enough, he doesn't have to respect them or be a fan. It speaks of the man, therefore, that he had them as guests a few months later, sycophantically laughing at their manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

seamus wrote: »
    Winning Streak I find to be a godawful piece of cringe TV, but some people watch it religiously. I mean, "Get the dinner made or we'll miss Winning Streak", religious. These aren't people who are watching these shows in the absence of something to do, this is a hardcore fanbase who don't miss them. The power of that fanbase can't be written off as "just some aul wans".

The people who watch winning streak don't eat their dinner at 8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

How does Fair City do it? :confused: just like...how? :confused:

I mean success despite being utter sh*t :confused:

Mint Aero wrote: »
    How does Fair City do it? :confused: just like...how? :confused:

I mean success despite being utter sh*t :confused:

I actually think Fair City is quite ok. It is certainly the best Irish soap ever done and when there are drug dealers and hard men in it such as Billy Meehan, Paddy Bishop and the like, it is excellent. Sure, some of the actors can be poor while others are very good in their roles (especially, the criminal characters). Like all soaps, there are silly storylines and filler inner stuff but overall FC is actually better than the modern version of Coronation Street more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

'Saving' the late late show? Does Tubbs want it to be 'hacked up' as he would see it? ' Sure it's grand at the moment' . Yes, to me it sure is a set piece of formulaic sequential nonsense but well, I'm not taking it...gugleguy left the audience in happy television land as gaybo used to say a long long time ago. Just to paraphrase the saying Elvis has left the building, even if I say so myself.

I actually think Fair City is quite ok. It is certainly the best Irish soap ever done

*cough* Ros na Rún *cough*

:o:o:o;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Great thread. The answer is it's not too late. Get rid of the Saturday night show and the RTE Canteen guests and it might have a chance. Oh, and Tubridy. Put him in the band or something.

• Advertisement

This week's figures include the successful four-part showing of Amber. The show ran from Sun-Wed, and all episodes featured in the top 10 (the Sunday episode in last week's figures). For the final two episodes, the show gained 45k viewers per night and, as original as having the four on successive nights is, I wonder would not more interest have built-up had they been shown weekly.

The success of Amber, and continuing popularity of The Voice of Ireland, relegated the Late Late Show to fifth position, with 545k. That figure fits what seemed like the trend of a few weeks ago. The previous two weeks' shows had star attractions in the form of astronaut, Chris Hadfield, and Sherlock villain, Moriarty Andrew Scott, respectively. This week's was less exciting, with rugby-laying brothers, Rob and David Kearney, and Philomena Lee.

I have posted every published top 10 since Nov 17. Inexplicably, for a period during December, they weren't published. I'll list the viewerships of the LLS since I began this tradition: 511k, 537k, 542k, 517k, 643k, 595k, 543k - an average of 555k.

TV Ratings - week ending Jan 26 | RTE Aertel

Fair City continues its impressive streak of having had three episodes in the top 10 for five of the last six weeks.

Ratings just in: 565k for a show with Mario Rosenstock and some snob who was on the apprentice. Pretty impressive.

TV Ratings - week ending Jan 26 | RTE Aertel

Saturday Night Show back in the Top 10 for only the third time in the last seven weeks. There viewership looks to have remained static, but that the viewership of others has increased They may be disappointed that, despite the huge media attention surrounding Panti-gate, the resulting formal debate only yielded 475k viewers. Perhaps the disaster that was the Pussy Riot interview caused people to switch off.

Yet again, I am amazed by the Irish Viewer: three Fair Citys, two Opperation Transformations, and a Winning Streak, in the Top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

1623327_644410552260684_1546878151_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

yes

I'm calling an end to my involvement in this thread! Latest ratings are in: for the episode that had David Norris, Samantha Mumba, Eddie Reader, a discussion on the Facebook craze "Neknomination", Lisa Cannon (TV3's Xpose), a Garth Brooks tribute act, and Aled Jones...638 000 viewers!! I just don't understand it!! In my opinion, the LLS is dead, but that hasn't stopped people tuning in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement