Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway FC

• 30-11-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

At last, we have a football club in Galway to support. Following the demise of Galway United FC, a new club has emerged from the ashes. Galway Football Club ( www.galwayfc.ie ) is almost up and running and will be officially launched on Monday 2 December in the Connacht Hotel.

Bring it on....!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Great news. Hopefully it will be successful like Sligo, where the town seems to have got a nice positive boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

What happenin with Mervue and Salthill?

They going down to junior again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Paddyfield wrote: »
    At last, we have a football club in Galway to support. Following the demise of Galway United FC, a new club has emerged from the ashes. Galway Football Club ( www.galwayfc.ie ) is almost up and running and will be officially launched on Monday 2 December in the Connacht Hotel.

Bring it on....!

We had SD Galway to support but nobody did:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I still have a pile of programs from late 90s early 00s. I contacted GUFC supporters through fbook but no reply. Anyone here want them before they go in the bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Tugboats wrote: »
    We had SD Galway to support but nobody did:confused:
    That was Salthill Devon. Why would anybody not affiliated with Salthill Devon support them? Just because they wore maroon and played in Terryland didn't make them a club representing all of Galway, and thankfully the Galway public saw through it.

The current situation is also very questionable, especially considering nobody knows if a co-op structure will be set up. Going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    That was Salthill Devon. Why would anybody not affiliated with Salthill Devon support them? Just because they wore maroon and played in Terryland didn't make them a club representing all of Galway, and thankfully the Galway public saw through it.

Will galway Utd supporters have any problem with players affiliated with SD playing for the new team and will they have any problem with the new team training in Drum?

Will galway Utd supporters have any problem with players affiliated with SD playing for the new team

You mean hold it against them that they played for someone else while there was (and continues to be) no team representing Galway in the LOI?

Don't be daft.
    and will they have any problem with the new team training in Drum?

I didn't hear that is was actually decided this would be happening, but I would have a big problem with it IF Salthill wanted to charge for it, which was suggested a few months ago, among other things.

If they are truly behind Galway FC, they won't be taking every opportunity to route the Comer sponsorship money out of Galway FC.

If GUST wanted to charge Galway FC for providing a facility/service, there would be war.

I keep hearing the word "merger" in relation to Galway FC. That implies resources being pooled. I can't see Salthill sharing anything without something substantial in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Will galway Utd supporters have any problem with players affiliated with SD playing for the new team and will they have any problem with the new team training in Drum?
    Of course not.

The best players from Galway should be signed, affiliation/allegiances are irrelevant. At then end of the day, these players want to make a few bob and play for a decent club, where else can they go realistically? Sligo/Limerick won't sign them. Athlone will more than likely be training in Dublin. Finn Harps is too far away and would probably offer less wages than Galway.

I'd imagine Galway F.C. will hoover up the best players from last years Mervue/Devon squads and add a few experienced players like Alan Murphy/Derek O'Brien/Vinny Faherty. Should be competitive.

Interviews from the launch yesterday evening.

Galway FC chairman makes powerful speech - Audio

- Bernie O'Connell, Chairman Galway FC

Galway FC launch interviews - Audio

- Tommy Dunne, team manager

- Declan McDonnell, Mervue United

- Ollie Daniels, Salthill Devon

- Tommy Lally, GUST

- Bernie O'Connell, Galway FC chairman

- John Delaney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Heard a clip from an interview with John Delaney at the event. He is a serious <less of this please>
    A question was asked about the vacant team place in div 1 and his reply was effectively how great he is and his love from Kerry. Worth every cent of his €430k salary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Heard a clip from an interview with John Delaney at the event. He is a serious <less of this please>
    A question was asked about the vacant team place in div 1 and his reply was effectively how great he is and his love from Kerry. Worth every cent of his €430k salary!

Hes also one of the primary reasons for the club now forming so hes doing something right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

jamesdiver wrote: »
    I still have a pile of programs from late 90s early 00s. I contacted GUFC supporters through fbook but no reply. Anyone here want them before they go in the bin?

Why bin them? Maybe the local historical society in the area would take them?

Don't bin them, some Galway fan would happily take them

Good luck to Galway, they always had great hardcore supporters and Terryland is a nice pitch

Hope Salthill and Mervue keep triving in some existence as both have great set ups (well, Salthill, facility wise) and both clubs have an excellent history at underage level

Hope Salthill and Mervue keep triving in some existence as both have great set ups (well, Salthill, facility wise) and both clubs have an excellent history at underage level

Their senior LOI presence was only a small part of their clubs and I understand that they are retaining their FAI U19 League squads for 5 years, with no underage structure attached to Galway FC whatsoever. They will have enjoyed being in it while they were there, but as far as I know, there is no appetite among their membership to be in the LOI. It just costs too much to compete for clubs like them. Huge clubs, but wouldn't have the means to keep it up long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jamesdiver wrote: »

You should ask some people on the GUST forum:

http://galwayunitedfc.net/forum/3-gust-chat/

I am sure there are people on there who would love to get them; one mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Someone just contacted me through here about them.

Match Report: Galway FC 2-1 Dundalk

Fans forum

24 players signed up. Maybe another one or two more.

Goalkeepers:
    Ronan Forde, Connor Gleeson, Ger Hanley, James Keane

Defenders:
    Martin Conneely, Mike Elwood, Cian Fadden, Colm Horgan, Ross Kenny, James O'Donnell, Marty Owens, Paul Sinnott (Capt.), Stephen Walsh

Midfielders:
    Ronan Conlon, Ryan Connolly, Sean Gavin, Marc Ludden, Alan Murphy, Gary Shanahan, Noel Varley,

Forwards:
    Vinny Faherty, Jake Keegan, Ryan Manning, Jason Molloy.

4zY153t.jpg

• Advertisement

Two good additions made today - http://galwayfc.ie/index.php/obrien-byrne-join-galway-fc/

Derek O'Brien, who most Galway football fans will know well has signed. Alex Byrne has also signed, a very promising youngster who captained Devon's u19s and featured for them in the First Division last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Timmy Byrne?! I think it's Alex you mean.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Timmy Byrne?! I think it's Alex you mean.
    Sorry, that's his nickname.

I don't even know why I said that. Post edited, cheers.

Galway FC 1-0 Athlone Town, full time result.

Stephen Walsh the scorer.

Match report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

They seem to be doing well. Anyone been to any of the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭baldshin

Was at the limerick game. Lost one nil but was impressed, looked a tidy enough outfit happy to play football on the ground, unlike the hoofball of the Galway United era. Downfall may be the lack of a composed finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

baldshin wrote: »
    Was at the limerick game. Lost one nil but was impressed, looked a tidy enough outfit happy to play football on the ground, unlike the hoofball of the Galway United era. Downfall may be the lack of a composed finisher.

you must not have gone to many games. There was great football played under Jeff Kenna Ian foster and the first year of Blackie.

A manager of a First Division team that was at one of the friendlies basically said that Galway were way ahead of his own side in fitness terms. Could have been a fib, but I doubt it.

You can't read anything into the scorelines of these games, but in terms of performances, it seems promising.

Dunne won't be aiming for anything other than promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I was at the Athlone friendly last Saturday night and to be honest you would think it was Galway who were the Premier Division side and not Athlone. They played them off the park for large periods of the game and could have been 4 up at halftime. Theres a guy in the centre of midfield who looks quality,is it Ryan Connolly his name is? They played it on the ground and the passing and moving style was attractive to watch. A few defensive lapses though nearly cost them the win (they won 1-0) and lack of quality striker might hinder them but overall I was impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

A manager of a First Division team that was at one of the friendlies basically said that Galway were way ahead of his own side in fitness terms.

Uh oh.

Aiel wrote: »
    lack of quality striker might hinder them but overall I was impressed.

I don't think Dunne needs to worry about strikers. Faherty is too good for the First Division and Ryan Manning has been playing a lot so isn't playing as much in pre-season. He is a real talent.

Jake Keegan, the American striker could score a fair few goals in the division. Not signed to make up the numbers.

Could have done with another quality centre-mid and centre half. Left-back could be problem now too.

Alan Murphy coming back from injury next month will be like a new signing. He will be a huge player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Alan Murphy coming back from injury next month will be like a new signing. He will be a huge player.

not sure how you meant that but im sure he will lose the weight with some training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭baldshin

you must not have gone to many games. There was great football played under Jeff Kenna Ian foster and the first year of Blackie.

Season ticket holder for many a year!! Though I will concede they played some decent stuff under Foster. Agree with the posters above about Ryan Connolly, looks a great player! Was also impressed by the right winger, Shanahan I think his name was??

Off to Australia in April so unfortunately will only get in one or two games in before I leave, so this thread will be well watched by me!

Galway are playing their last pre-season game today against UCD at 3pm in Drom.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the first game tomorrow, hope there is a decent attendance and performance to go with it.

Only 2 hours left until the big kickoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

How much is it in to night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

degzs wrote: »
    How much is it in to night?

Tenner for adults, 7 for students/OAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Tenner for adults, 7 for students/OAP

Good value.

€7 for unwaged too. It's nice to see that sign on the wall after a few PFO's during the week!

Civis, were you wearing a greyish jacket and black jeans and glasses? I think that was you sitting to the right of me and then behind me a little in to the second half.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Civis, were you wearing a greyish jacket and black jeans and glasses? I think that was you sitting to the right of me and then behind me a little in to the second half.

Yes Inspector. Sure I met you before like...

I know you did, I was thinking that's how I recognised you! I wasn't 100% sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobwoodward11

What was attendance for game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

What was attendance for game?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭abcdef1

Manning and O'Brien will be massive this year for Galway ! Anyone know what the attendance was for the Mayo League game ?

Attendance was about 150 from what I read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement