Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitchell 'exonerated' over Mahon

• 10-05-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

In a statement released tonight the party said having considered the tribunal’s findings against Olivia Mitchell TD she should be “exonerated of any complaint”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0510/breaking44.html

It said while “it was inappropriate in light of what we now know for the then-councillor Mitchell to accept the donation in question, her actions have not brought the party into disrepute.

Can anyone explain to me how accepting an inappropriate donation does not bring a party into disrepute, kinda speechless

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

FG afraid of a by-election in Dublin South and are unwilling to call Mitchell's bluff.

A shame that this came in the way of doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

rodento wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how accepting an inappropriate donation does not bring a party into disrepute, kinda speechless

This is Irish politics we're talking about, in context it was only a few hundred on the side sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

What about the two by four club.?

The threat of a resignation by Deputy Mitchell and a by-election never crossed the minds of the committee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

They should not be acting as defense attorney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

FG afraid of a by-election in Dublin South and are unwilling to call Mitchell's bluff.

A shame that this came in the way of doing the right thing.

What have they to be afraid of though?

Judging from the polls, they'd walk it.

Unless they have no other decent candidate in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

thebman wrote: »
    What have they to be afraid of though?

Judging from the polls, they'd walk it.

Unless they have no other decent candidate in that area.

National polling is not all that useful when it comes to predicting by-elections.

Just look at the Dublin-West by-election last year for example. FG were polling on 40% and their candidate received a mere 14% of the vote.

The issue would also be compounded within Dublin South for Fine Gael as the departure of Olivia Mitchell would destroy the parties organisation within the constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQddQa7bt0awnCBjBdgzbVgqD3a8YaxfXPOeaVWp4LWVSZWX893CaoswDYv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

In a statement released tonight the party said having considered the tribunal’s findings against Olivia Mitchell TD she should be “exonerated of any complaint”.

It said while “it was inappropriate in light of what we now know for the then-councillor Mitchell to accept the donation in question, her actions have not brought the party into disrepute.

This is shocking........ in my view she should have been expelled immediately .

If this was a FF TD there would be uproar.

Disgraceful !!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

"..........exonerated of any complaint" What kind of statement is that? Is she exonerated of any wrongdoing though?

+ She's still held in 'high standing' within the party. That says a lot about FG then. Sure, you can dodgily take money from developers now and there's nothing wrong with that - probably because they're all at it anyway.

What about the investigation into planning that has been shelved by Big Phil (one of the areas is his own Constituency, where he was actually a Councillor at one stage). Couple that with what's coming out in Dungarvan (not through political investigations mind you, but by a whistleblower in the form of a spouse). Other councillors are now saying that they thought there was something wrong at the time........

FG = FF (Didn't Micheal Martin and Simon Coveney make a lovely couple on TV during a
    debate on the Treaty?)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

raymon wrote: »

This is shocking........ in my view she should have been expelled immediately .

If this was a FF TD there would be uproar.

Disgraceful !!

Raymon, given your opinion on this decision, I think it's the right time for you to start a thread on what FG & it's grassroots stand for?

I'm not surprised by this decision. At first I thought FG would make an example of Mitchell but FG don't want a by-election, do they?

• Advertisement

Wider Road wrote: »
    Raymon, given your opinion on this decision, I think it's the right time for you to start a thread on what FG & it's grassroots stand for?

I'm not surprised by this decision. At first I thought FG would make an example of Mitchell but FG don't want a by-election, do they?

Wider road

The fact that there are a few bad apples in FG doesn't make the FF barrell any less rotten.

This Mitchell affair is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

Wider road

The fact that there are a few bad apples in FG doesn't make the FF barrell any less rotten.

The problem is that there is so many more cases that's not been addressed. Does anyone believe that the only corruption took place in Dublin, yet no inquiries are currently taken place. Why?
    I know of a case a few miles from me, where land was sold at a huge price during the boom for housing. The problem was there were 3 other building estates taking place in the same village! First one was completed, second one was nearly there, third one was just starting. Yet people saw fit to grant permission for a fourth estate, mainly thanks to the landowner having a close relationship with Councillors and indeed a TD. The third estate still is unfinished & thankfully the fourth one never started. The problem is that the land is now resting in NAMA & the word around the area is that the original landowner will eventually buy back the land at a fraction of the price that he paid for it.
    This is one story in one village that in all probability will never be investigated, yet it happened before our eyes.

The problem is that there is so many more cases that's not been addressed. Does anyone believe that the only corruption took place in Dublin, yet no inquiries are currently taken place. Why?
    I know of a case a few miles from me, where land was sold at a huge price during the boom for housing. The problem was there were 3 other building estates taking place in the same village! First one was completed, second one was nearly there, third one was just starting. Yet people saw fit to grant permission for a fourth estate, mainly thanks to the landowner having a close relationship with Councillors and indeed a TD. The third estate still is unfinished & thankfully the fourth one never started. The problem is that the land is now resting in NAMA & the word around the area is that the original landowner will eventually buy back the land at a fraction of the price that he paid for it.
    This is one story in one village that in all probability will never be investigated, yet it happened before our eyes.

I agree , I think we are both on the same side in this debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the local paper reported on the local draft development plan a local village with an empty estate and plenty of sites /development land has had its residential zone extended !!!!!

anyway as far as FG go ssem to be part of the problem not part of the solution (this just copper fastens my opinion of FG)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

the local paper reported on the local draft development plan a local village with an empty estate and plenty of sites /development land has had its residential zone extended !!!!!

anyway as far as FG go ssem to be part of the problem not part of the solution (this just copper fastens my opinion of FG)

Meanwhile Donegal Co Co scream blue murder about the An Taisce report on planning.

Reform is an absolute priority. Ireland is fked without sensible planning decisions being made free of political influence .

I agree - FG themselves admit that the payment was inappropriate, but absolutely no disciplinary action has been taken due to the fact that Olivia Mitchell is a prominent member of FG and accordingly the rules do not seemingly apply to her.

Be careful FG. Your failure to disicipline your members who have acted inappropriately will ultimately ensure that corruption will creep into the party over time. Learn from the mistakes that FF made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Be careful FG. Your failure to disicipline your members who have acted inappropriately will ultimately ensure that corruption will creep into the party over time. Learn from the mistakes that FF made.

no they wont - sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

no they wont - sadly

Its all cool though, that is what elections are for :cool:

I look forward to rewarding their stupidity :P

Makes my treat them like dogs way of looking at politicians seem ever more reasonable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thebman wrote: »
    Its all cool though, that is what elections are for :cool:

I look forward to rewarding their stupidity :P

Makes my treat them like dogs way of looking at politicians seem ever more reasonable :)

The thing is, i really really honestly dont thing they even care. Once they have the minister seat secured they are quite happy to ride out what ever time they are given. Then its pensions time Wooo Hoooo party.

Its a bloody disgrace that there is no performance rating required.

Advertisement