Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Copyright Debate. Sean Sherlock and others (including me!). Tuesday 3rd.

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And I intend to make that very point tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://twitter.com/seansherlocktd/status/186903911804837888
    @seansherlocktd: Change of heart. Happy to have simon mcgarr on panel amarach. If he'll accept. Time to make amends. @Tupp_Ed @sean_nicholls @naoisen

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bah. Scooped. Damn you new media!!! *shakes fist*

Gosh, politics is FUN, its all cutty and thrusty and daggery. With added cloak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

How can one politician so successfully and repeatedly continue to put his own foot in his mouth? Is the man a master of Bikram or something?

Words fail me on the brazen arrogance, sheer incompetence & absolute lack of political acumen on display. A welcome roll-back on the demand from his office most certainly, but all the same ... what appalling carry-on from someone who should frankly know a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

DeVore wrote: »
    Bah. Scooped. Damn you new media!!! *shakes fist*

If only there was some sort of instrument to prevent this sort of thing, wouldn't the world be a much better place! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Parawind wrote: »
    If only there was some sort of instrument to prevent this sort of thing, wouldn't the world be a much better place! :rolleyes:

hey, before you start something like that, I think we need to debate it.

(since nobody will get this joke, hi, I'm the *other* Sean. the one organising the DRF)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Might be of interest to people around these parts

Interview with maverick GNU creator Richard Stallman - "Steve Jobs was an evil genius"

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/17822/richard-stallman-gnulas-s20e10/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

allanb49 wrote: »

not working for me. Did Sherlock have it sopa'd? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Roar wrote: »
    not working for me. Did Sherlock have it sopa'd? :pac:

Just about to say the same. Probably a "condition" on the minister taking part.

any live tweets going of this?

video isn't working for me either

"waffle waffle waffle"

I think that's the jist of what he's saying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

For those who can't see the Science Gallery link, you can see it here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was late tuning in. Will this be put up on YouTube later on?

I had to take a call at the end of that so wasn't giving it my full attention, was Sherlock babbling on about everyone being a keyboard warrior at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I was late tuning in. Will this be put up on YouTube later on?

Dav was recording as much of it as he could. Also said it might be recorded by the Science Gallery too. I guess it'll go online if it was.
    Roar wrote: »
    I had to take a call at the end of that so wasn't giving it my full attention, was Sherlock babbling on about everyone being a keyboard warrior at the end?

My stream lagged but something like having to endure big egos behind computer screens who were nice in real life etc. Basically called us all trolls

From what I saw, Tom played a blinder there. So many quoteables and plenty of passion to boot, fair play!

"EMI SUED A COUNTRY!"

Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Devore was utterly outstanding in that. We need to make a highlights reel of what he said and get it on broadsheet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Overall a poor debate...why was nobody representing artists/copyright holders invited onto panel to give a fuller representation of the various different perspectives? We're not really good at debating issues in this country...far too much emotive subjective ****e spewed whenever these public fora type meetings take place.

While SS comes across as well-intentioned, the main problem is that it will be his officials and those in the AG's Office who ultimatley will decide on the shape and content of any legislation that might follow the copyright consultation process......and spare me the arguments about the role of the Oireachtas...most of those guys would struggle to switch on a pc let alone have sufficient knowledge and awareness to contribute to a proper debate on this complex subject during the legislative process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Anyone got a link thats not in uStream?

Its blocked here, ironically.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Very nicely handled by everyone. Tom especially. "Don't make me put it up again" :D
    You're so right though Tom, we won't be listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Thank you DeVore, for taking the time(sadly out of necessity) to show what the effect of this SI would be, and for showing that the public is no longer receptive to the smoke and mirrors that would have passed a couple of governments ago.

Might I ask, what is the next stage in this battle against bottom-feeders and incompetence?

Thanks to all for support. I'm actually generally a nice and happy person but sometimes I go all Hulk Smash. :)

That was all fun and comedy gold but the truth is that the next steps are much more boring and labourious. We need to counter weigh the lobbyists and keep the spotlight on the needs of society as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Well done DeVore. I was appalled by the manner that the minister took on several occasions however I believe his failings were highlighted rather well by yourself and the other panelists.

Kudos. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

DeV, thanks, you did fantastic.

Again Mr Sherlock managed to come across as an illinformed nitwit with no respect for the other views presented. It seems shouting the same point 4 times while someone else is trying to make counter arguements is how he gets his point across. I really really dislike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

"Cocked gun at Ireland's head" - stunning finish to your three minutes.

Very powerfully done.

One tweet nailed a good piece of advice (not aimed at you Tom but the audience I think) "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake".

Sherlock foot-in-mouthed a couple of times and was immediately interrupted. More effective to let him speak and then repeat what he said.

Other than that I think the commitment to change his mind if the people demand it and the fact that the AG didn't see the alternative wording will bite him later down the line.

It is redundant for me to say "Keep up the fight!!" - what would be most helpful now for us to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I was there, rousing debate alright.
    Tom was spot on, from the get go.
    His arguments were solid, the fact that it wouldn't even work was a particularly good one that was not responded to.
    Owned the jr minister on a number of points, and true to form went off on a couple of salient yet succinct rants!

The Rep from the ISPs didn't bring a huge amount to the table, except to add a degree of legitimacy to the panel. (dev, is regarded as a wild radical around many circles)

The beatnik lawyer fellow was absolutely correct in what he was saying but not, I think, in the way he said it. This also would apply to what sounds like his campaign of spam to the Oireachtas!

Btw I think that a lot of people believed the junior minister was in Japan, I know I've read that reported online anyways.
    Fair play to him for showing up, but remember who he is and what he stands for.

He is not an expert at anything, he doesn't represent us (unless you're from his constituency), and he had that permasmile and glazed over look common among his species.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Is there a youtube link to this? (can't view the ustream thing here)

Advertisement