Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apps for temporaily locking internet access

• 29-07-2014 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've to do a lot of work on a computer over the next few weeks and I keep distracting myself with the internet. I'm getting that Freedom software for my laptop to disable it on the laptop but I was just wondering whether anyone could tell me what the best options are for Android that would disable all means of accessing the internet for a set period of time but still allow calls and texts.

I know there's a version of Freedom available on Android but, like the PC version, it can be disabled on a reboot and that would pretty much render it useless because I'm always having to reboot my phone anyway.

My phone's rooted, by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An app? Really,Just turn off your wifi and Mobile data during the periods you are working?
    Other than that, you can use Tasker or similar Apps to restrict data and wifi connectivity during specified periods.
    Seriously though,that said if you can't control the urge to connect/browse and focus on a necessary task you have a bigger issue than needing an app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just turn off wifi and mobile data. No need to get an app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I have huge attention span issues, like. I'll get the work done regardless, always do, but it'd be nice to be a bit more time-efficient about it. Was just gonna buy a super cheap second phone but I figured there'd be some cheaper/free alternatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I have huge attention span issues, like. I'll get the work done regardless, always do, but it'd be nice to be a bit more time-efficient about it. Was just gonna buy a super cheap second phone but I figured there'd be some cheaper/free alternatives.

Give your phone to someone you trust or better yet get someone in your house to change your WiFi password while you're working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Freedom - http://freedomforandroid.com

Edit: Sorry, saw you mentioned that in the OP. I don't think any solution can survive a reboot. Freedom + Willpower is your best bet (or just turn the flippin' thing off!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Mr E wrote: »
    Freedom - http://freedomforandroid.com

Edit: Sorry, saw you mentioned that in the OP. I don't think any solution can survive a reboot. Freedom + Willpower is your best bet (or just turn the flippin' thing off!)
    Hah! I checked the play store for Willpower!

Getting rid of the smartphone seems like the solution anyways. I haven't had broadband at home the last while so I needed a mobile plan to compensate and it's been a bit of a disaster overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm in the same boat as you. When I was writing my thesis a couple of months ago I found myself struggling to go 10 minutes without distracting myself on my phone.

It just so happened that my gf had to send her phone away for repair and got a 20 euro Blokia to tide her over. I decided to give her my smartphone and take the Blokia and it really helped. I know it seems ridiculous but if that's what you need to do I'd recommend getting one!

Advertisement