Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S Tab

Options
  • 13-07-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking about getting one of these. Has anyone purchased one already and what are your thoughts on the device? Also, are there any stores in Dublin with demo devices which we can try out? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hi

I'm thinking about getting one of these. Has anyone purchased one already and what are your thoughts on the device? Also, are there any stores in Dublin with demo devices which we can try out? Thanks

Bump. Wondering where I could buy one of these.

Hi

Soneone on another thread says they saw one in the Samsung shop (i.e. ex Carphone Warhouse) in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭droidman123

I,m nearly certain they are available in pc world. check their website.

I,m nearly certain they are available in pc world. check their website.

It says available for pre-order, and available from 07/07, which makes me guess that they didn't arrive in on that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭droidman123

Cheapest I have seen fir the 10.5, not sure if they have the 8.4., and its free shipping!

wowcamera.net/computers/tablets/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-S-8.4-T800-16GB-WiFi-Tablet-PCs?utm_source=amazon-pads&on-amazon=on-amazon&utm_medium=cpc&amazon=SM-T800NTSAXAR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I have an 8.4 for the last 2 weeks. Got it while I was in the US. Don't know where you would get one here.
    For the last 2+ years, I have used a Motorola Xoom.

In all honesty, I don't notice a huge difference. Yeah, it is quicker, but not really enough that I really notice it.
    I had my Xoom in an hardshell case all the time, so size wise, the Tab S is radically different. I got the Samsung book cover case and it is very good. Very neat little tablet.

I was holding out for a next-gen Nexus but that was not announced at Google IO, and all reviews of this are excellent.

What I really don't like is the amount of software Samsung put on the device. Loads of "goodies" that are mainly just junk. I get pop ups on the lock screen for Flipboard, another every morning for NYTimes stories. Haven't figured out how to turn them off (not looked very hard).

As it is so new to the market, there is still very little development happening on it, so I will eventually root and get rid of all the crap.

Honestly though, I don't see a huge difference in terms of performance compared to a pretty old Xoom, but my use is movies, browsing, basic games, photos etc. etc.

You might want to hold off for a while. I read an android authority article about overheating under load. Can't link as using phone but it states:
    Hi-Tech.Mail.Ru is reporting that the Galaxy Tab S’ Exynos 5420 processor, which also powers the Galaxy Note 3, is heating up quite substantially during heavy load. Whilst warm temperatures aren’t completely unusual for mobile devices, the Tab S is heating up so much that it is deforming the back cover of the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

More on the overheating here:

https://bgr.com/2014/07/17/galaxy-tab-s-overheating-damage/

You might want to hold off for a while. I read an android authority article about overheating under load. Can't link as using phone but it states:
    Hi-Tech.Mail.Ru is reporting that the Galaxy Tab S’ Exynos 5420 processor, which also powers the Galaxy Note 3, is heating up quite substantially during heavy load. Whilst warm temperatures aren’t completely unusual for mobile devices, the Tab S is heating up so much that it is deforming the back cover of the tablet.

Presumably it could be an issue if you're watching TV or movies.

Has anyone purchased one of these devices? How have they found it?
    vienne86 wrote: »
    Presumably it could be an issue if you're watching TV or movies.

• Advertisement

Also, has anyone installed any good roms on the device? Would be good to get rid of all the Samsung bloats and get it running stock Android 4.4
    Has anyone purchased one of these devices? How have they found it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

I saw one in curry's the other day amazing device!

I ended up going for the portable factor and got the galaxy tab 4 7.0. The bezels on these devices have made them so portable. The 7.0 looks more like an oversized galaxy note 3 than a small galaxy tab

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Hi Guys

I recently purchased a tab s 8.4. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a light warping issue with the back panel ? I've attached an image of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Anyone have the 10.5" model?

Still waiting on the OTA update to Lollipop while it appears the rest of the world have had it for over a month.

Advertisement