Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brick laying

Options
  • 27-07-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I have searched high and low with no luck, this is my last hope. I am a big DIY enthusiast and I want to build an extension, I want to learn how to do all the foundations and block laying and have looked for courses on line with no luck, I am willing to work with a builder on the weekends for free to Learn.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Your in plasters

Gareth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

gb1908 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have searched high and low with no luck, this is my last hope. I am a big DIY enthusiast and I want to build an extension, I want to learn how to do all the foundations and block laying and have looked for courses on line with no luck, I am willing to work with a builder on the weekends for free to Learn.

Your in plasters

Gareth

Why not buy that bricky tool for diyers. It also comes with a detailed DVD on everything from the foundation to the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gb1908

I actually bought it a few years back, great for walls and BBQ's but not for a build, not great tbh as it doesn't create a vacuum between the brick so no very string. I need to know about where to pull the pipes for sewage through, knocking down existing walls and joining etc, but thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi all,

Your in plasters

Gareth
    ....and who will certify the founds and any other structural works you intend to do? Yes, certs will be needed - possibly in relation to planning but most certainly in relation to building regulations.

Honestly you shouldnt undertake things you appear to have no knowledge of.

muffler wrote: »
    ....and who will certify the founds and any other structural works you intend to do? Yes, certs will be needed - possibly in relation to planning but most certainly in relation to building regulations.

Honestly you shouldnt undertake things you appear to have no knowledge of.

Hence why I am looking for experience, I will get all the certs required and will get an architect to do the plans, I just want to learn, sure half the buildings in the boom Where signed off in a pub over a few pints, my little extension should concern you. But I appreciate your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hence why I am looking for experience, I will get all the certs required and will get an architect to do the plans, I just want to learn, sure half the buildings in the boom Where signed off in a pub over a few pints, my little extension should concern you. But I appreciate your input.
    I was going to offer some more words of advice and give you some ideas as to how far things have moved along in the building industry in recent times especially in relation to statutory obligations but you seem to have all the answers already.

Over and out dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Big job really, you really want to make sure the extension is structurally sound. The last thing you want to do is realise half way through is the bond is all wrong and you forgot wall ties!

Assuming the prior ground work etc is done then you will want experience to do this and if you willing to work for free maybe you call all the block/brick layers in the area and explain your situation. They might have you laboring though to see how things work, its hard for someone to jump straight on the trowel without gaining some knowledge (assuming you know little or nothing already) of the trade.

Once you have gained experience it is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Homebond used to have some good publications and when I was in and out of sites during the boom there was a blue book of theirs that I saw on many a site foreman's office desk😄so they must have been doing something right.
    Seriously though I don't know what area you are living in but with the cost of building tradesmen gone through the floor in some areas you would be mad to take all of that on flying solo. You would spend more time repairing cock ups than getting it right first go and if you think any block layer is honestly going to give away his trade secrets and methods over just for some free labour unless he is a good mate...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I actually bought it a few years back, great for walls and BBQ's but not for a build, not great tbh as it doesn't create a vacuum between the brick so no very string. I need to know about where to pull the pipes for sewage through, knocking down existing walls and joining etc, but thanks for the input

Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean, what vacuum should be between bricks and how does it make it strong? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Although no longer in the building trade, I know from past experience what having the home owner "helping/learning" can mean.
    I would prefer to work a man short than have inexperienced "help". If I knew the home owner wanted to be involved in that way, I would have either declined to quote at all or doubled the labour charge of the work.

This is aside from the regulations you now have to comply with. @muffler is probably right in declining to say more.

Thanks for the advise, muffler I appreciate it, maybe I will get the cheap labour that is going around, I didn't think it was going to be this difficult.

@ slim Jim I don't know if this is 100% correct but when you put a bed of mortar on a layer of brick you create a type of valley out of the mortar then rest the brick onto it create a small vacuum. This is from an experienced brick layer my friend who has moved to Australia for work, another reason for doing it myself, otherwise I would have him doing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement