Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

I just saw that Hill and Tatum interview. It is humiliating. Would it be possible to set up a petition calling for the removal of Tubridy?

I think that people are being very harsh on Tubbs over that interview. Hill was very rude to RT and in fairness Tubbs didn't do too bad when he said "I saw the movie earlier and I'm just trying to get my act together for you."

As an example of how awkward a character Hill can be look at this article from today.

Actor Jonah Hill has been filmed hitting out at a photographer with a highly offensive homophobic slur.

The 30-year-old can be heard insulting a man who comments on his shorts in a video obtained by TMZ.

Jonah, who is currently starring in 22 Jump Street, appears to become frustrated after being mocked for his floral board shorts and retorts: ‘Suck my d***, you f*****!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2647118/Jonah-Hill-hits-using-homophobic-slur-photographer-mocks-floral-shorts.html#ixzz33bMAH2pu
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

ghiertal wrote: »
    I think that people are being very harsh on Tubbs over that interview. Hill was very rude to RT and in fairness Tubbs didn't do too bad when he said "I saw the movie earlier and I'm just trying to get my act together for you."

As an example of how awkward a character Hill can be look at this article from today.

Actor Jonah Hill has been filmed hitting out at a photographer with a highly offensive homophobic slur.

The 30-year-old can be heard insulting a man who comments on his shorts in a video obtained by TMZ.

Jonah, who is currently starring in 22 Jump Street, appears to become frustrated after being mocked for his floral board shorts and retorts: ‘Suck my d***, you f*****!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2647118/Jonah-Hill-hits-using-homophobic-slur-photographer-mocks-floral-shorts.html#ixzz33bMAH2pu

Speaking personally, when I've felt vulnerable, I've sometimes said things - which were entirely unreflective of my opinions - purely because I wanted to cause offence.

This is a quote from an article on the Independent website:

"In the past Jonah has been a very vocal campaigner for gay rights. Last year he tweeted his opposition to Russia's fierce new anti-gay laws, later talking to E! Online about why he had to speak out.

'I have tons of gay friends, gay family members. It's like saying, why do you think people should breathe?' he stated. 'I support anybody doing whatever they want to do to be who they are.'"

Regardless of whether Hill was rude (I'd probably only go as far as to say that he misjudged), two things remain: Tubridy is, that I'm aware, the only high-profile interviewer Hill has said such a thing to; and that Tubridy, though he may be deserving of our sympathy, handled the rest of the interview poorly - did you watch it? He said "I was sh!tting myself".

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Even during Byrne's final few months, he still had some memorable moments. The Padraig Flynn and Terry Keane interviews. I struggle to think of anything memorable from this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Skyrim wrote: »
    Even during Byrne's final few months, he still had some memorable moments. The Padraig Flynn and Terry Keane interviews. I struggle to think of anything memorable from this season.

Sadly, I'll remember for a while the time when the presenter of Ireland's premier chat show was asked by a guest if he was nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It was rude but he said what people were thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭briany

kneemos wrote: »
    It was rude but he said what people were thinking.

Whether rude or not, if a host can't handle one slightly snarky question from a guest in a way that doesn't make him look like a bag of nerves, his ability as host should be called into question.

Tubridy has fronted 'The Late Late Show' for five years and feels it is time to "reflect" on his progression as a presenter while exploring different ways to improve his hosting technique."I had a very, very long and informative meal with Gay two weeks ago," Tubridy told the Irish Independent. "He's a member of that tiny club of 'Late Late Show' presenters and I wanted to ask him for tips

"I've done five years of the 'The Late Late Show' and felt it was time to reflect."Tubridy plans on studying interview techniques in a bid to "up his game" come autumn. "I've got a lot of work to do this summer on honing my act. I'm going to watch interviews down through the years. I just want to up my game for the next season."Byrne previously offered Tubridy hosting advice when he presented the 2003 Rose of Tralee."I've gone to him before for advice – his knowledge and understanding of broadcasting is immense," Tubridy said.Tubridy will head over to the BBC in the coming months to fill in for Simon Mayo. "I'm going back over and the thing I like about it is no one knows who I am – which is refreshing." http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/ryan-turns-to-gaybo-for-chat-show-advice-30367040.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭squonk

Sounds like he's having long chats with Uncle Gaybo, getting some good advice and then forgetting it all the minute the 'On Air' light comes on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"I've done five years of the 'The Late Late Show' and felt it was time to reflect."Tubridy plans on studying interview techniques in a bid to "up his game" come autumn.

Should RTE not have waited for him to finish his training before paying him 700 grand a year... He's had his go at presenting the Late Late, and he has been poor.. Move over Tubridy and give somebody else a go... Lords knows ANYBODY will be a better presenter than him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

You'd think he was born into it and has no escape, like some Royal born from hundreds of years ago, loath of the life but with no other options. How the ****.. I mean the money he's on. It requires a literary savant to describe accurately this mans gombeen circumstances and how poorly he dwells in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Tubridy's show is not a patch on Gaybo's show. Gaybo had much better guests, was always in control and was able to successfully blend the funny with the sad. Gaybo would not allow guests to mock him as a rule (Sinead O'Connor singing Our Father over and over being the only time) whereas with Tubridy, many have exploited his weakness. With politicians, he comes on too falsely aggressive. With misery stories, he is condescending and somehow fake. With celebs, he is too overawed. With children, he is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I don't think RTE will change him unless ratings plummet. But right now it's a safe show that gets the ratings in.
    As bad as Tubirdy is, I think the main problem is the guests. They should shorten the show and that will allow them to be more selective.

When he first took over he kept saying he wanted it to be similar to Conan or the Tonight show. If he wanted that he wouldn't have misery guests on. He would also get the guests involved in either a skit, game or some fun interaction. E.g. Kimmels: Celebs reading mean tweets.

I love how he calls out internet folk criticizing him as hiding away. I would gladly say all of this to his face. PM me for a chat Ryan :)

EyeSight wrote: »
    I don't think RTE will change him unless ratings plummet. But right now it's a safe show that gets the ratings in.
    As bad as Tubirdy is, I think the main problem is the guests. They should shorten the show and that will allow them to be more selective.

When he first took over he kept saying he wanted it to be similar to Conan or the Tonight show. If he wanted that he wouldn't have misery guests on. He would also get the guests involved in either a skit, game or some fun interaction. E.g. Kimmels: Celebs reading mean tweets.

I love how he calls out internet folk criticizing him as hiding away. I would gladly say all of this to his face. PM me for a chat Ryan :)

True, the guests tend to be either poor, inappropriate or on too often. I think everyone agrees that the show is way too long. Even Tubridy admiited that.

Today and Conan work in the USA but I doubt if Tubridy would have the guests or the material to pull it off here! Again, that's the problem: Ireland does not have the guests or material to go around. The Saturday Night Show seems way better at coping with varied topics leaving the Tubridy Show to be one sprawling mess.

It is hard to know what to do with the show. Yes, probably 65% at least comprises of older people. Hey Presto! Get Daniel O'Donnell on every week, sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

"I've done five years of the 'The Late Late Show' and felt it was time to reflect."Tubridy plans on studying interview techniques in a bid to "up his game" come autumn. "I've got a lot of work to do this summer on honing my act. I'm going to watch interviews down through the years. I just want to up my game for the next season."Byrne previously offered Tubridy hosting advice when he presented the 2003 Rose of Tralee."I've gone to him before for advice – his knowledge and understanding of broadcasting is immense," Tubridy said.Tubridy will head over to the BBC in the coming months to fill in for Simon Mayo. "I'm going back over and the thing I like about it is no one knows who I am – which is refreshing." http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/ryan-turns-to-gaybo-for-chat-show-advice-30367040.html

The annual "up my game" Tubridy interview. No link to the 2013 one but its referenced here - http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/rte-chief-outlines-new-bid-to-revive-flagship-late-late-show-29525950.html

2013 - "Earlier this month, presenter Ryan Tubridy admitted he had to "up my game" in order to stem flagging viewership figures."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Here are the last few years of those pronouncements ...

Sep 2011
    This is the year I hope to make the show my own. With two seasons under my belt, I'm looking forward to getting the show on the road.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/ (that 3 year old quote is still viewable at that Late Late Show website :rolleyes: )

May 2012
    2011 was not a good year for me. If I was marking my own card it would have read 'could have done better'. I think I had a lapse in concentration. I can't identify one thing but it was a year that I'd like to have done again and done properly.
    http://m.rte.ie/ten/2012/0529/tubridy.html

August 2013
    It’s a fascinating beast and I am honoured to present it,” he said, adding that he was looking forward to ringing a “new buzz” to the much-criticised Friday night talk show.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ryan-tubrid...28252-Aug2013/

June 2014
    Tubridy plans on studying interview techniques in a bid to "up his game" come autumn. "I've got a lot of work to do this summer on honing my act. I'm going to watch interviews down through the years. I just want to up my game for the next season." - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/entertainm....R686ufw0.dpuf
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=158

Tubridy's show is not a patch on Gaybo's show. Gaybo had much better guests, was always in control and was able to successfully blend the funny with the sad. Gaybo would not allow guests to mock him as a rule (Sinead O'Connor singing Our Father over and over being the only time) whereas with Tubridy, many have exploited his weakness. With politicians, he comes on too falsely aggressive. With misery stories, he is condescending and somehow fake. With celebs, he is too overawed. With children, he is perfect.

I could not be convinced of the higher weekly quality of Byrne's guest unless I saw some sort of week to week guest list from his heyday. Too easy to remember only the highlights of 35 or so years and believe that's how it was all the time. Byrne, though, was (and still is) a quality interviewer.

Byrne was also lucky (?) enough to be standing on the fault line between old Catholic Ireland and the modern day and that friction really fed his show. A lot of his 'good' guests were things that would barely raise an eyebrow today, like a newly divorced woman with a new sexual lease of life, an edgy comedian, or a controversial politician.

Actually ,the second two of these wouldn't raise an eyebrow because they probably wouldn't even get on. We seem to live in very bland and homogenized times where having anyone on who would do or say anything untoward is deemed an unacceptable risk by TV producers. A bit of disagreement is good, it generates tension. Anything that shakes guests and hosts out of that complacent trance they're always in is good, but if the old taboos have been broken and you're afraid to touch the new ones out of fear of causing offense (ironic), what are you left with? The answer : not much.

One thing is certain; Tubridy will never admit to being the problem. He has lost over 100,000 listeners on the 2fm's anchor programme and he comes out with comments like this.

He also said the sea change that has happened in 2fm over the past six months was substantial, with lots of presenters being replaced.
    Describing himself as the “last man standing”, he said the station needed an overhaul and said there is now “a nice buzz inside”.

http://www.herald.ie/news/nobody-knows-who-i-am-in-uk-its-lovely-tubridy-30366657.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Science found a replacement
    Computer AI passes Turing test in 'world first'.

briany wrote: »
    I could not be convinced of the higher weekly quality of Byrne's guest unless I saw some sort of week to week guest list from his heyday. Too easy to remember only the highlights of 35 or so years and believe that's how it was all the time. Byrne, though, was (and still is) a quality interviewer.

Byrne was also lucky (?) enough to be standing on the fault line between old Catholic Ireland and the modern day and that friction really fed his show. A lot of his 'good' guests were things that would barely raise an eyebrow today, like a newly divorced woman with a new sexual lease of life, an edgy comedian, or a controversial politician.

Actually ,the second two of these wouldn't raise an eyebrow because they probably wouldn't even get on. We seem to live in very bland and homogenized times where having anyone on who would do or say anything untoward is deemed an unacceptable risk by TV producers. A bit of disagreement is good, it generates tension. Anything that shakes guests and hosts out of that complacent trance they're always in is good, but if the old taboos have been broken and you're afraid to touch the new ones out of fear of causing offense (ironic), what are you left with? The answer : not much.

This is all very true. Gaybo was a great and still is a great interviewer. However, some of the then wild topics as you say would be tame today. But the guest quality was far higher with true legends of music, comedy and film on as well as quality debates and discussions.

Pat Kenny's 10 year tenure had its ups and downs and the quality of guests was slipping too. But Kenny always proved to be an able and professional interviewer.

Tubridy's tenure is by far the weakest. Why is this the case? First off, he relies on second rate guests often and/or guests we have seen way too many times. True, we may look at the guest list of a 1993 or 1994 Gaybo show and see it to be quite similar! But that's the problem. For 20 years or so, the Late Late Show has relied on Louis Walsh and other standbys too often. The guest material often admittedly isn't there anymore. Gaybo was lucky to have a quality stream of guests for almost every show whereas it may only be once every 6 weeks for Tubridy's. The big names often don't come to Ireland anymore, preferences being Eastern Europe, Middle East and China instead. Then, there's the issue of budgets: RTE don't have the cash to pay guests to appear hence everyone who is willing to appear for free to promote their book get on.

One thing is certain; Tubridy will never admit to being the problem. He has lost over 100,000 listeners on the 2fm's anchor programme and he comes out with comments like this.

He also said the sea change that has happened in 2fm over the past six months was substantial, with lots of presenters being replaced.
    Describing himself as the “last man standing”, he said the station needed an overhaul and said there is now “a nice buzz inside”.

http://www.herald.ie/news/nobody-knows-who-i-am-in-uk-its-lovely-tubridy-30366657.html

To be kind, Tubridy is perhaps not the only problem. There's a genuine lack of availability of guests, funding issues, etc. But he is at the same time a big part of the problem along with these issues.

Evidence for Tubridy being the problem is where he has a good guest and messes the interview up. Like the Tom Cruise interview. Or anywhere he asks any guest about babbies. He can't handle serious discussions on any topic and does not have enough ability to be able to talk to various musicians about their music and influences or to the cast of Love/Hate about that show. He appears condescending and fake with 'misery slot' guests and is too fakely aggressive with politicians. He is trying too hard to act a role whereas with Gaybo and Pat Kenny and Brendan O'Connor too it was them being themselves and much more natural.

• Advertisement

To be kind, Tubridy is perhaps not the only problem. There's a genuine lack of availability of guests, funding issues, etc. But he is at the same time a big part of the problem along with these issues.

Evidence for Tubridy being the problem is where he has a good guest and messes the interview up. Like the Tom Cruise interview. Or anywhere he asks any guest about babbies. He can't handle serious discussions on any topic and does not have enough ability to be able to talk to various musicians about their music and influences or to the cast of Love/Hate about that show. He appears condescending and fake with 'misery slot' guests and is too fakely aggressive with politicians. He is trying too hard to act a role whereas with Gaybo and Pat Kenny and Brendan O'Connor too it was them being themselves and much more natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-4wWTEa554

Yes he can definitely be fake and condescending. He seems to be enjoy being a celebrity. Watch the way he treats this young journalist at the IFTAs. He treats the whole thing as a joke. By the way, he has been hosting a chat show on RTE for ten years now. He was given Tubridy Tonight when he was thirty one so he has plenty of experience and shouldn't need to hone his act. You have either got it or not.

Gay got some stick for being condescending as well, although it always seemed to me that Gay's brand of condescension was more that of a sarcastic uncle who still offers their nephew 10p to buy sweets, even though the nephew is 15.

*Just as John Cleese is about to walk on set*

"Do your funny walk, John Cleese. Come on, come on. Let's do the funny walk. Get it over with." (saying it in the tone of a master talking to his dog. Cleese comes out goose-stepping like a champ.)

Tubridy's not really built for serious discussion. Tubridy's angle is he wants his chat show to have a very 'American' flavour. The dapper host, the upbeat band etc. It's very rare you'll see a serious discussion or a confessional type of interview on any typical late night American chat show. It's got to be "Hey! Light and breezy". Of course, there is also that legacy of the misery slot, which makes for quite a jarring contrast.

briany wrote: »
    Gay got some stick for being condescending as well, although it always seemed to me that Gay's brand of condescension was more that of a sarcastic uncle who still offers their nephew 10p to buy sweets, even though the nephew is 15.

*Just as John Cleese is about to walk on set*

"Do your funny walk, John Cleese. Come on, come on. Let's do the funny walk. Get it over with." (saying it in the tone of a master talking to his dog. Cleese comes out goose-stepping like a champ.)

Tubridy's not really built for serious discussion. Tubridy's angle is he wants his chat show to have a very 'American' flavour. The dapper host, the upbeat band etc. It's very rare you'll see a serious discussion or a confessional type of interview on any typical late night American chat show. It's got to be "Hey! Light and breezy". Of course, there is also that legacy of the misery slot, which makes for quite a jarring contrast.

"I was on Twitter for three years or thereabouts and I was totally into it, too much so I'd say," he revealed.
    "And walking away from Twitter, with no drama - I didn't hate it, in fact I really enjoyed it - but leaving it, having uploaded the stuff I'm criticising everyone else for, doing but doing too much of it, I realised it was just too much, and sharing too much, and looking for too much attention I suppose, and walking away from it was one of the most liberating things I ever did.
    "It's wonderful. You don't have to worry about what anyone thinks anymore. People that matter will be close and that's all that matters."
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/i-was-looking-for-too-much-attention-i-suppose-tubridy-says-he-shared-too-much-on-twitter-30376440.html

First of all he created a big drama when he left twitter and has given contradictory reasons for his departure from Twitter in the last few years.

Secondly I don't remember him sharing too much. In fact he never posted anything about his family life online and he usually tweeted once or twice a day. He never interacted with anyone on it so I don't know how it took over his life. He was following very few people on twitter and he mainly used it to promote his media work.

"No, I'm still a gob****e," he admits, "the barking seal looking for a fish - that's me. I think most people on TV have a vast ego and ferocious vanity. I think I'm a man who knows his mind and is a creature of habit, and with that in mind, you'd need the patience of Job and his extended family to live with me." Now heading into his sixth season on the Late Late Show, Ryan says that while he is well-served by his team, he believes he needs to execute what he has been given a little better. He has a very dark sense of humour, totally unlike his television persona, and feels the time has come to break out. The show's legacy intimidated him in the past, and the worry of living up to the people who went before him made him feel "a bit strait-jacketed".

"I'd love to be more myself because I'm much more easygoing in real life," he says. "I want to loosen up a little bit, lighten up and become more conversational. That doesn't mean I'm going to take it less seriously. I'm actually going to do it more seriously, but I'll do it with a smile on my face rather than with worry on my brow. Presenting the show is an honour, and I think we give the viewers good shows, but I could do better. it's a fact."

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-features/i-needed-a-kick-in-the-pants-but-people-were-too-polite-to-do-it-ryan-tubridy-30471955.html

"I'd love to be more myself because I'm much more easygoing in real life,"
    "I want to loosen up a little bit, lighten up and become more conversational."
    "I'm going to take it less seriously."
    "I'm actually going to do it more seriously, but"
    "I'll do it with a smile on my face rather than with worry on my brow. "
    "Ithink we give the viewers good shows, but "
    "I could do better. it's a fact."

I.. I.. I... Why does he even have an opinion in this.. RTE own The Late Late Show, not Ryan Tubridy... It's up to the bosses in RTE WHO presents the show and in what fashion.. It's not up to Tubirdy to decide if needs to improve or not, everybody can see that he is simply not good enough.... But nobody in RTE has the b*lls to pull the trigger... The simple fact is that Brendan O'Connor makes a far more entertaining show with a smaller budget and lesser guests..i.e. what a presenter should be able to do..

But I'm waiting for Groundhog Day again in early September 2014.. Tubridy smiling on the front of the RTE Guide, "immensely looking forward to the new season". Further down in the article you will read that he feels "like it's the first day of school again" and he is "going to have to pull up his socks"... And I'll still be there hammering my head off the wall..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE could put have a banana presenting the LLS and some people in Ireland will still watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I can say, hand on heart, I wouldn't bother watching the LLS except for the boards thread. I've said it before, but here goes...the night of the 50th anniversary show, (total car crash tv at times), Gaybo and Pat Kenny wiped the floor with Tubs without even trying.
    Tubs has to stick with his cue cards, he is unable to empathise with guests, his listening skills are dreadful. That night, he was speaking to various people in the audience, and despite one guest saying something heartfelt, and requiring follow up, no, Tubs cards obviously said...'go to next guest'. Pat Kenny picked up the ball for him there, and focused on the previous person, and drew them out further, which is what Tubs should have done.
    Brendan O Connor's show hadn't the best season, this year, in my opinion, but as a presenter, he is streets ahead, because he is what he is. He isn't putting on an act. I recall him interviewing the mother of the conjoined twins, (Angie Benhaffaf), and he said something about parents wishing for the best for their kids (I can't remember the exact words), but he had tears in his eyes.
    I heard that same lady, very articulate, great interviewee, being interviewed by Tubs, on his radio programme, and he just did not get it.
    It's appalling to think that all these years on, he is still getting away with such a poor performance, and getting paid such a salary for it.

But Tubridy admits his views have changed.
    "The attacks of 9/11 and the rise of Islamic fundamentalism makes me more comfortable being a Catholic."
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tubridy-rediscovers-his-catholic-faith-26212388.html

This is from an old article but why would 9/11 make anyone become more comfortable in their religion. It just sounds like utter nonsense and it looks like he is trying to win over conservative, middle Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I remember the Tom Cruise interview and how Olga Kurylenko was hardly even looked at by Tubs (is he even heterosexual)? :p

Dean Norris was a great treat last year and a genuine surprise/catch.

But those interviews were great in spite of Tubridy.

You couldn't get much more enthusiastic than Cruise and Norris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Put some classic films on in this time slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Look at how George Stromobo (Canadian CBC) interviews our "boring" Irish celebrities and how you learn stuff about Williams that you never knew, look how engaged they are, look how engaged they ALL are.

They respect him and that's a subtle but powerful thing.
    The content is light years ahead.

Yes, this man (I couldn't believe he still existed, surreal to see him)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Watching his ex colleague Oliver Callan the other night, it is clear to me that Oliver Callan is the only person in Montrose who is prepared to cast a critical eye on Tubridy and his dreadful tenure of The Late Late Show. They've stood by him through his interviews with Juliette Binnoche, Ronan Keating, Cuba Gooding Junior, The Anchormen etc etc.... it's been apparent from very early on that the only thing the man is proficient in is bootlicking..

Tubridy's tenure as host has indeed seen this show go downhill completely. Poor interviewing and focus on the wrong issues has made many a guest seem boring. A typical Tubridy set of questions:

So, you have some Irish blood in you?
    What part of Ireland do your anscestors comes from?
    Do you like being in Ireland?
    What do you like best about Ireland?
    How is your newborn baby?
    Can you show me a photo of your new baby?

etc., etc. That is the talent of the Tubridy!

And the bit where he interupts the guest to show them a picture of themselves from 1982 on the monitor and haha what mad hair you had back then.

darkdubh wrote: »
    And the bit where he interupts the guest to show them a picture of themselves from 1982 on the monitor and haha what mad hair you had back then.

"How does it feel looking at that?" *gestures toward the screen with hand*

"How does it feel looking at that?" *gestures toward the screen with hand*

And it doesn't matter what they say in their reply cos he won't listen anyway.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    And it doesn't matter what they say in their reply cos he won't listen anyway.

But did you not read his latest interview where he said that he is going to become "more conversational"? Just what has he been thinking for the last ten years, rushing through interviews, ticking off a list of questions from a cue-card. Why didn't anyone in RTE take him up on this before or do they just not care. It's incredible to think that RTE would appoint someone to that role who is not conversational and has basically spent the last ten years learning(very slowly it seems) on the job.

I'm posting a link to this video again to show the absolute contempt which he shows to a young reporter at the IFTAs. Yet he thinks that he deserves respect from his guests and treats RTE with disdain by hopping over and back to the BBC while RTE has to get someone to cover his show.

Ryan Tubridy IFTA Red Carpet Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-4wWTEa554

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It wouldn't be so enraging if they were on 100k a year but 400 grand for the sh1t they put out? Absolutely disgusting, RTE needs clearing out from the top down, its just a corrupt little clique, see Jerry Ryans daughter being marched straight into a job with zero qualifications when other people who have bankrupted themselves doing 4-5 years of study and free internships abroad are passed over.

The boards threads on Friday and Saturday night can be seriously entertaining though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

I'm posting a link to this video again to show the absolute contempt which he shows to a young reporter at the IFTAs. Yet he thinks that he deserves respect from his guests and treats RTE with disdain by hopping over and back to the BBC while RTE has to get someone to cover his show.

Ryan Tubridy IFTA Red Carpet Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-4wWTEa554

Wow, that's excruciating. The way he started conversing with "Darren Kennedy" was obviously very rude, but what I most take from that clip is how unappealing a character he is. Not that he's obnoxious, or anything; just that he's entirely average and unexceptional. He was forty years old in that clip, yet he looked like a nervous teenage girl. I thought it hilarious when he espoused the importance of "nerds" ("Nerd Time...Nerdamentary") and then, when asked which documentary he expected to win, patently didn't know any nominees! Also, was any of his gags funny?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

He seems (a bit of pop psychology) to resent guests who have achieved something through talent and hard work. As for saving the LLS, it would be a good thing to get rid of Tubridy as he is beyond a joke at this stage and is losing viewers. In any major TV market, he would be unlikely to get a prime time show as his face is so asymmetrical and he is unable to connect with many guests unless it is as some kind of doom and gloom vampire feeding off their misery.

Regards...jmcc

he Late Late Show shared a link. 8 hours ago
    Would you and your friends/family like to be part of the LIVE studio audience for The Late Late Show this season?
    Applications are now open and tickets are free of charge. Just visit http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/tickets.html to complete o...ur online application form.
    Once submitted please scroll up to view confirmation of receipt.
    Please note due to high demand for tickets we cannot contact every applicant. In the interest of fairness, tickets are allocated at random, only successful applicants will be contacted.
    Please note that Late Late Toy Show ticket applications will open in October. General Late Late Show applications will not be considered for Toy Show tickets and vice versa.
    Best of luck!
    https://www.facebook.com/thelatelateshow

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

I always thought it was a bit much bringing that band from Tubridy tonight to the late late show..it's just so tacky and really, what was the need?? I wonder if he requested it. At the end of the day the late late show is the longest running chat show in the world which has to count for something. They should restore some of its originality and make it great again!

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    He seems (a bit of pop psychology) to resent guests who have achieved something through talent and hard work. As for saving the LLS, it would be a good thing to get rid of Tubridy as he is beyond a joke at this stage and is losing viewers. In any major TV market, he would be unlikely to get a prime time show as his face is so asymmetrical and he is unable to connect with many guests unless it is as some kind of doom and gloom vampire feeding off their misery.

Regards...jmcc

You might make the same argument if he had a lisp yet Wossie has a big slot hosting a chat show in Britain. Tubbers was voted one of the sexiest men in Ireland a few years back so women seem to find him attractive plus he has bagged Aoibhinn ni Shuilleabhain. The thing that gets me is that even though he has an asymmetrical face he seems to enjoy mocking other people over their facial features.

He told us in advance that the father of the Perth Rose, Rachel Rogan, looked like an owl, and later made us check out the owlishness for ourselves. Shades of Jerry Springer, but not as honest. Many of the contestants must have found it hard not to clench their fists and hammer Tubridy into the stage like a tack.
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/timespleaser-tubridy-a-turnoff-in-tralee-26234653.html

...he seems to enjoy mocking other people over their facial features.

Begins at about 00:50

Laura Slattery in the Irish Times: In defence of Tubridy, host of the 26th-ranked radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

She is spot-on...put him back on RTE Radio 1, 9 till 10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

They should put him in Derek Mooney's slot (ah come on, there's no need for that. You know perfectly well what I mean). Give him full editorial control over the content of the show and allow him to be himself. He's a nice guy, and a very good broadcaster - he's just permanently out of his comfort-zone.

I've liked poor old Tubs ever since he presented The Full Irish on 2FM. The whole tone of that show was just perfect for breakfast radio.

But why does a space HAVE to be found for him.... How many goes does having your grandfather in the organisation entitle you to? Get rid of him, for the sake of the payroll more than anything else, and give somebody else a chance.. He's a contractor, so just dont renew his contract. Let's see how eager the BBC are to take him on full time.

Seems to me that the renewal of his last few golden contracts with RTE had more to do with somebody in RTE management being afraid that Tubridy would leave and become a success somewhere else, rather than valuing what he actually brings to the organisation..

But why does a space HAVE to be found for him.... How many goes does having your grandfather in the organisation entitle you to? Get rid of him, for the sake of the payroll more than anything else, and give somebody else a chance.. He's a contractor, so just dont renew his contract. Let's see how eager the BBC are to take him on full time.

Seems to me that the renewal of his last few golden contracts with RTE had more to do with somebody in RTE management being afraid that Tubridy would leave and become a success somewhere else, rather than valuing what he actually brings to the organisation..

Agreed.
    From that article 'RTÉ’s highest-paid presenter should be freed from 2fm duties and returned to Radio 1'
    Oh FFS, 'freed from 2fm duties', give me a break! RTE should set him free alright.

It had been suggested that Tubridy's falling JNLR figures for his 2fm morning show were prompting Montrose chiefs to mastermind a move.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/rte-deny-reports-ryan-tubridy-is-moving-to-ronan-collins-slot-on-rte-radio-one-30492556.html

A 16 year old Ryan Tubridy appears on the programme 'Scratch Saturday' to review the latest offerings of U2 books.
    • Title Ryan Tubridy on Scratch Saturday
    • 1st Broadcast 18/11/1989
    • Contributor Andy Ruane (Presenter)
      Ryan Tubridy (Reviewer)
    • Clip Duration 00:02:27
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1862-before-fame/471941-ryan-tubridy-on-scratch-saturday/

• Advertisement
Advertisement