Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering to vote

Options
  • 16-07-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I turned 18 last month and I want to put my name on the Register of Electors. I've gone onto the website to get the application form but I'm a bit confused because I'm not sure which form to use. The RFA one seems to be for a whole household but my parents are already on the Register. Do I use this one? Or the RFA2 one - this seems to be a lot more detailed and I think it might only be for application after a certain date or something? Or the RFA1 and use the 'Additions' section?

Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You should complete an RFA form

HOWEVER 😆if there is election or referendum before february 15th you wont be registered. In that case you also need to fill out an RFA2 form to go onto the supplementary register.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HelenAnn

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

I think RFA2 covers both registers. It's the only one I ever filled out.

jrmb wrote: »
    I think RFA2 covers both registers. It's the only one I ever filled out.

Yes but was there an election or referendum before feb 15th when you registered?

CI site confirms it is rfa form

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Yes but was there an election or referendum before feb 15th when you registered?

CI site confirms it is rfa form

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

No, I did it a few weeks after I turned 18. There was no election for over a year.

• Advertisement

jrmb wrote: »
    No, I did it a few weeks after I turned 18. There was no election for over a year.

Exactly. Therefore RFA2 was not relevant to you.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

If you live in Dublin South West do the RFA2 and to be honest I'd do it anyway who knows when this government could fall

Yeah Dublin South West and Roscommon bye elections have to be before November so if you are voting there and not registered you would need to fill out an rfa2 form to go onto the 2014/2015 supplement

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HelenAnn

Do I need to include my parents on the RFA form if they are already on the register? It says to include everyone at the address that is eligible to vote, but is that just if no one is registered in the household anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Why did they bring out RFA3 if ya can change name / edit entry on RFA1? I don't know which Form to send in now. RFA1 mentions about making Claims and going to Court! :eek::pac:

From CheckTheRegister" Site;
    "Correction of Details
    If you are on the draft Register of Electors but your details are incorrect you may claim to have a correction made by completing an application form RFA1."

But shure isn't everyone on the original Draft until February 01st until they move house or get married or divorced etc. So, people moving house and getting married and divorced are i.m.o. seemingly-obviously going to have to fill out RFA1 Form aren't they?!? If the change to details is after November 25th you fill out Form RFA2. So I don't see where RFA3 comes in.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

just about 2 weeks ago the the guy for south dublin was doing is rounds on checking about the register. So this time of year they will be knocking at houses.

Advertisement