Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Indiepop/Twee Pop/C86 Appreciation Thread

• 06-07-2014 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Because sometimes wimps make great music :)

Some essential albums:
    Dolly Mixture - Demonstration Tapes
    Various Artists - NME C86
    The Flatmates - Potpourri (Hits, Mixes and Demos 85-89)
    Talulah Gosh - Backwash
    The Pastels - Sittin' Pretty
    The Field Mice - Snowball
    The Vaselines - The Way of the Vaselines: A Complete History
    Beat Happening - You Turn Me On
    Tiger Trap - s/t
    Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
    Camera Obscura - Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi
    The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - s/t
    Allo Darlin' - s/t

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

These guys were a bit twee I think. Wrote some great tunes over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anything by Mice Parade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

For me, the essential album of the original era is The June Brides - There Are Eight Million Stories. But their immediate predecessors (and influences) are equally worth spending time on, particularly Television Personalities and Subway Sect.

I find a lot of the more modern/revivalist twee stuff to be basically pastiche - and often misses the politics of the original indiepop movement - but, if you do have a spare two weeks and you haven't already, you could do worse than immersing yourself in the noughties' output of Swedish labels like Labrador (esp. Radio Dept. + SKWBN), Hybris (esp. Montt Mardié) and Service (esp. Embassy + The Tough Alliance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Sacksian wrote: »
    For me, the essential album of the original era is The June Brides - There Are Eight Million Stories. But their immediate predecessors (and influences) are equally worth spending time on, particularly Television Personalities and Subway Sect.

I find a lot of the more modern/revivalist twee stuff to be basically pastiche - and often misses the politics of the original indiepop movement - but, if you do have a spare two weeks and you haven't already, you could do worse than immersing yourself in the noughties' output of Swedish labels like Labrador (esp. Radio Dept. + SKWBN), Hybris (esp. Montt Mardié) and Service (esp. Embassy + The Tough Alliance).

I'd forgotten The June Brides! - 'Every Converation' was a big favourite of mine. Just Youtubed it and it sounds as good as ever.

I wouldn't consider TV Personalities as twee but can see where you're coming from. A consistently stunningly brilliant band both lyrically and acoustically. They should be mandatory listening! It's almost an injustice to pick out one track but hey:

A couple of albums worth checking out that have a twee feel but don't really qualify. Probably helped spawn the genre in the same way as the TV personalities:

The Raincoats' 'Odyshape'
    Young Marble Giants 'Colossal Youth'

Primal Scream up to and including 1st Album 'Sonic Flower Groove', a jangly twee fest if ever there was one. I couldn't figure out what the hell Bobby Gilespie was doing given his JAMC background. 'Velocity Girl' a highlight of that PS period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Newish Jangle / twee guitar band. Weird Dreams. They put out their debut about 2 years ago. Really good record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ-KB1gqqMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiELYz4jbMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Marine Girls were one of the earliest twee pop bands, featuring Tracy Thorn who would go on to front Everything But the Girl

Something closer to home, Belfast's Language of Flowers. They only released one album called Songs About You in 2004 and it's great for some jangly twee goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Tracey Thorn's solo album, A Distant Shore, was pretty amazing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 pamello

Lesser Matters, by The Radio Dept. to me one of the best indie pop albums ever. from the same music label, also Sambassadeur. worth listening also Ballboy, Go Betweens, and Sodastream. last but not least, The Magnetic Fields :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

pamello wrote: »
    Lesser Matters, by The Radio Dept. to me one of the best indie pop albums ever. from the same music label, also Sambassadeur. worth listening also Ballboy, Go Betweens, and Sodastream. last but not least, The Magnetic Fields :)

You see here's where I have an issue with labelling like this. The Go-Betweens twee or indie pop? Bull****. Just because they didn't have commercial success does not mean that they should be lumped in with twee or indie pop or whatever. The Go Betweens were an epic band, a million miles removed from most of the crud that passes for twee pop. Yup, I am a fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 pamello

the term 'indie pop' or 'indie rock' is associated with the Go-Betweens by a number of webzines, blogs, books, etc. i don't think it diminishes the value of the band. not sure why you think it's negative. can't they just be an epic indie pop band? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

pamello wrote: »
    the term 'indie pop' or 'indie rock' is associated with the Go-Betweens by a number of webzines, blogs, books, etc. i don't think it diminishes the value of the band. not sure why you think it's negative. can't they just be an epic indie pop band? :)

I think the entire twee pop, C86 name etc is a really reductive term and doesn't apply to The Go-Betweens any more than it does The Cure. There are certain bands, some listed above who are twee pop to their cuticles, but The Go-Betweens are definitely not among that number.

Advertisement