Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycle from Havana to Trinidad in Cuba

• 20-11-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,
    Did anyone ever cycle from Havana to Trinidad? Thinking of doing it in February. Its about 320km but I'm trying to figure out the logisitics.
    Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

magpye wrote: »
    Hi,
    Did anyone ever cycle from Havana to Trinidad? Thinking of doing it in February. Its about 320km but I'm trying to figure out the logisitics.
    Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Drove it in 1999. Havana to Bay of Pigs. Bay of Pigs to Trinidad. Road was in absolute sh1t. On the plus side - there wasn't much traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ha, crazy. I am doing this in February also. Joining a guided tour though so it's all taken care of.

Are you bringing your own bike OP?

I believe they lack bike repair shops and the ones that do exist are not exactly fantastic. Roads are not in great shape either but there is less traffic as purple cow said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Sounds like a cool trip. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Did Havana to Pinar del Rio in W about eight years ago. Flew with bike Dublin-Gatwick-Havana with Virgin Atlantic in March. Stayed in casa particulars. Watch your stuff especially in Havana, they'll steal anything you leave around and lots of scams with street money changers and cigar sellers. Beer is good but don't drink unbottled water. Road surfaces can be non-existent in places and watch out for newly laid tar, if you get it on yourself or bike it's nearly impossible to get off.

You should be OK, just be prepared to rough it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

purple cow wrote: »
    Drove it in 1999. Havana to Bay of Pigs. Bay of Pigs to Trinidad. Road was in absolute sh1t. On the plus side - there wasn't much traffic

Spent some time in Cuba in 2004, including in Trinidad de Cuba, the road to there (from Havana) was tarmacadamed but heavily pot-holed, and in generally poor condition. The driving on display was atrocious, and road-markings, where present, were largely ignored, ....the centre of the road being the preferred choice of all drivers, thus resulting in some interesting "chicken" scenarios. There was no road-side lighting, or reflective markings etc., and night falls almost instantly at this latitude, so take care not to be caught out. In fact take care in general, and take out decent travel insurance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 magpye

Ha, crazy. I am doing this in February also. Joining a guided tour though so it's all taken care of.

Are you bringing your own bike OP?

I believe they lack bike repair shops and the ones that do exist are not exactly fantastic. Roads are not in great shape either but there is less traffic as purple cow said.

Hi, yes bringing my own bike. The lack of repair shops is a worry but I know a bit and intend on upskilling as much as possible before hand.
    I did a guided tour in 2007 but on the other side of the island and the roads were ok. Just ok.
    Can I ask who your guided tour is with?

Did Havana to Pinar del Rio in W about eight years ago. Flew with bike Dublin-Gatwick-Havana with Virgin Atlantic in March. Stayed in casa particulars. Watch your stuff especially in Havana, they'll steal anything you leave around and lots of scams with street money changers and cigar sellers. Beer is good but don't drink unbottled water. Road surfaces can be non-existent in places and watch out for newly laid tar, if you get it on yourself or bike it's nearly impossible to get off.

You should be OK, just be prepared to rough it a bit.

I was in Havana in 2007 and yeah there was plenty of scams involving cigars going on. Luckily I had a friend who spent a lot of time there and he advised me to speak Irish to any of the hawkers who came upto me. They didn;t know the language so they just left me alone then.
    Don't mind roughing it, thats part of the adventure. Casas are the way to go, my only concern is bringing enough water, can't imagine I'll pass many garages haha.

Spent some time in Cuba in 2004, including in Trinidad de Cuba, the road to there (from Havana) was tarmacadamed but heavily pot-holed, and in generally poor condition. The driving on display was atrocious, and road-markings, where present, were largely ignored, ....the centre of the road being the preferred choice of all drivers, thus resulting in some interesting "chicken" scenarios. There was no road-side lighting, or reflective markings etc., and night falls almost instantly at this latitude, so take care not to be caught out. In fact take care in general, and take out decent travel insurance too.

Thanks for the info. I intend to be on the road early in the morning 6am - 7am as i'll need to get through as many kms before the hottest part of the day. I'll rest then and get back on the saddle.

Advertisement