Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon frame respray.

• 09-11-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to get a carbon frame resprayed, must be top notch, not a halfords tin special, any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

big mce wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to get a carbon frame resprayed, must be top notch, not a halfords tin special, any recommendations?

Thanks.

What would this cost? Ballpark!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Idleater wrote: »

Can you powder coat carbon? Doesn't it have to be metal?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

http://argoscycles.com/

Much better than anyone over here- they do way more work so it only makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

CarbonTec do carbon repairs and full resprays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Chris Custom Design up north in Craigavon do fantastic work, amazing attention to detail. Very reasonable too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No easy way to do a carbon frame. They have to be hand sanded and painted. Argos Cycles and Atlantic Boulevard in the UK are well known and well respected. But between postage etc... expect to budget at least 400 euro for a simple, more or less single colour paint scheme and decals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    No easy way to do a carbon frame. They have to be hand sanded and painted. Argos Cycles and Atlantic Boulevard in the UK are well known and well respected. But between postage etc... expect to budget at least 400 euro for a simple, more or less single colour paint scheme and decals.

How much do Argos charge? I can't see a carbon specific price on their site.

How much do Argos charge? I can't see a carbon specific price on their site.

Repainting a trek mad one cost me 440 with shipping costs... that was one colour only and they provided the decals too.

pricey. But the work is top class. Atlantic were a similar price. Work was almost as good.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I won't be shipping it so trying to get an idea of price for spray alone. €240 or so seems standard. You stripped yours yourself?

Thanks. I won't be shipping it so trying to get an idea of price for spray alone. €240 or so seems standard. You stripped yours yourself?

if by stripped you mean removed the parts then yes. I just sent the frame and fork.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    if by stripped you mean removed the parts then yes. I just sent the frame and fork.

Ok, thanks, I meant paint, but still answers my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

This guy did a phenomenal job on 2 frames for a friend of mine, really restored them to factory shape. An amazing job on the steel frame which looks like it just rolled of the production line...about 25 years ago. He did a carbon cyclocross bike also.

Dont let the hells angel style work put you off, he will do whatever style you are looking for.

http://www.madclowndesign.com/

Hes in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    This guy did a phenomenal job on 2 frames for a friend of mine, really restored them to factory shape. An amazing job on the steel frame which looks like it just rolled of the production line...about 25 years ago. He did a carbon cyclocross bike also.

Dont let the hells angel style work put you off, he will do whatever style you are looking for.

http://www.madclowndesign.com/

Hes in Limerick.

plus one on this guy really good painter, got friends that he has done work for though they were on motorbikes heres his FB page and some carbon frames that he has painted https://www.facebook.com/madclownairbrush/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

zindicato wrote: »
    plus one on this guy really good painter, got friends that he has done work for though they were on motorbikes heres his FB page and some carbon frames that he has painted https://www.facebook.com/madclownairbrush/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

Thats my friends concorde in that collection, paintwork was seriously tranished and the detail he was able to reproduce was incredible. Talented fellow.

Does he do the decals himself or pain logos on?

You will have to source your own decals but ebay is your friend. All can be got there.

Any idea on costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Any idea on costs?

I got a set of reproduction colnago super decals on ebay for about 30 quid I think. Ill look it up later and send it on to you.

• Advertisement

You will have to speak to him for a quote I guess. Ironically I thought a clubmate was on a new bike at the weekend but it was a frame that had taken some damage, been repaired and was re-sprayed by...the mad clown.

I really did think it was a new bike.

these are the ones I got. They look well, but I haven't put them on the bike yet... :)

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    You will have to speak to him for a quote I guess. Ironically I thought a clubmate was on a new bike at the weekend but it was a frame that had taken some damage, been repaired and was re-sprayed by...the mad clown.

I really did think it was a new bike.

Yep, quote received and very favourable. Looks like a winner.
    lennymc wrote: »
    these are the ones I got. They look well, but I haven't put them on the bike yet... :)

Thanks LEnny, but I'll be rebranding this as my own and have logo and font designed for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Brian? wrote: »
    Can you powder coat carbon? Doesn't it have to be metal?
    i assume so - because you've got to apply a charge to the item to be powder coated, and carbon is an insulator.
    plus, the paint has to be baked on - not sure what this might do to a carbon frame?

Thanks LEnny, but I'll be rebranding this as my own and have logo and font designed for it.

I'd call it a cornetto (for the Italian sound) and go with this if I was you....

2095458724_a094bb0163.jpg

It's already done. Has Irish hipster theme.

Still haven;'t managed to get the dough together for this, but someone mentioned that CarCraft down on Anglsea Rd are doing bikes now. Have mailed them but no reply. Anyone hear similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeycav

Guys, is there anywhere in Dublin that I can get a carbon frame checked for cracks/damage?
    thanks

Advertisement