Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your dog speak?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

I really want her to speak on command but I've no idea how to do it. How did you teach your dog to do it? Ideally as her name is "Rua" (Yes, I know... :rolleyes:) it might be easy enough for her to say, but that might be moving to quickly. Advice greatly appreciated! :)

Here she is anyway ;)

[IMG]http://mtb_kng.webs.com/WP_000002.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

sorry, no advice for you, but just wanted to say that I love your signature:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Speak as in actually say 'Rua'? :confused: Or bark on command? If you actually get her to do the former please please video it and post it here! :D But I think the latter might be a little easier for her to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Speak as in actually say 'Rua'? :confused: Or bark on command? If you actually get her to do the former please please video it and post it here! :D But I think the latter might be a little easier for her to do.
    I can sort of get her to growl, but I have to make "claws" with my hands. I want her to say anything, just do it when I say so. I could work from there I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

mtb_kng wrote: »
    her name is "Rua" (Yes, I know... :rolleyes:) it might be easy enough for her to say,

Looks like you want her to actually say her name....have you been watching the Miska videos, you know the "ow I Luv oooo"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Looks like you want her to actually say her name....have you been watching the Miska videos, you know the "ow I Luv oooo"

Might have seen one... or two.... or all of them :D

She says "Rua" after she growls though so maybe it won't be too hard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Our dog can say a pretty legitimate "Yeah!" when we ask her if she wants a treat, this kind of came from teaching her to SPEAK! (loud) on command, which means to bark loud and then we taught her to speak(whisper), which makes her growl/low muffled bark. Somewhere between the two she found this third sound to use when asked a question that she wants to answer in the affirmative :) We're planning to record her doing some stuff tomorrow so might be able to show you this instead of explain it badly here :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My neighbours dog only responds to Polish, Very cool dog though, Another guy nearby brings two Pit Bulls to the garden and commands them in Russian, I think only the cat understands English here..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes my dog "speaks" or barks on command, hes brill at it, i must video him and post it up.

I just used to get him all excited and encourage him to bark and when he did id say the word "speak" and reward him immediately when he did it. Cooper is highly food motivated so he copped on pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two speak on command, if I say speak loud I get a bark, if I say it quietly I get a quiet "aoowoww" sound. There is some in between depending on how loud we say speak, and a whisper that you can hardly hear.
    Unfortunately my boy gets excited with the loud barks and won't shut up, he's not that food motivated so hard to get him to shut up:o Thats where the whisper and quiet speak came in.
    My daughter is currently trying to teach the little one to say hello, very funny the noises she makes, must video it when my daughter gets home next week.
    We use a hand signal, make a closed hand and hold it up palm out, get the dog a bit excited or catch him in a barky mood, when you say speak open the hand to show the palm, then close it as they stop barking.
    Hard to explain, but they get the idea quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I taught my guy to do it buy holding a treat until barked for it, once he barked I clicked and rewarded and repeated a few times then added 'speak!' when he barked and just kept practicing it. Find whatever makes your dog bark, click and reward. His friend for example will bark if you stand on his toy so he can't get it another friend will bark if you're petting her and stop lol. I'll try and get a video of him doing it later and upload it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My setter tries her hardest but can't form words. She will make noises with her mouth closed so it sounds like "mmmrrrnmrnrnrmrr!!!"

She usually does it when she is annoyed that she can't get down the hall due to the door being closed. (she can do most handles but the door opens inwards) so she paces up and down the kitchen giving out and then when we come in the door she trots up and gives it her best attempt. We have it translated as "ye feckers, you left me in here on my own":D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Neither of mine speak on command, but Rani makes the greatest noises when she's having a good scratch on the carpet. Kind of "WarrrrrrRrraaaaangNgraaaaaaarrrrwwww"

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Mine speaks on command and go quiet when i say shhhhhhhhhhh and put my finger to my lips.To teach it you get them really excited (talking like your talking to a baby usually works)untill they bark."YES" good boy girl etc and give them a treat,when they get the idea and start barking like mad say "bark"as thier doing it so they build up an asociation with the behaviour and the word.

Use the word bark instead of "speak" if youve thought them to "spin",mine got confused in the begining distinguishing between the two words,they start to bark whilst spinning :D

Advertisement