Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling without padding

• 21-11-2014 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I've been on before asking about cycling in jeans etc. I still can't manage that, but have managed to find other trousers to do it in, HOWEVER, I still can't seem to reach my destination without being in absolute agony in the "underleg" area, or tops of my legs. I've tried it on multiple saddles and no luck. I have to wwear bibs everywhere. This is becoming a pain as I have to rush around a lot and constantly taking bibs on and off to be able to walk around for a few hours is driving me mad.

Do I have to keep trying the saddles or is there another option?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

While I find my bibs more comfy than regular trousers, it has never caused me much grief over short distances, with the exception of one or two pairs that are too tight around the thigh. There are cycling specific jeans, I think both Levi and Chrome make versions. There are also cycling specific cargo pants on the likes of CRC. Personally though I can't justify the extortionate price tag.

The only thing I can think of is depending on how well dressed you have to be, either MTB pants with lining on the inside or a cheap pair of padded shorts (not bibs) that you can either leave on under your regular trousers or whip off in the toilets in a minute or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I cycle with no padding, even the longest rides. Padding was compressing my perineum, now I'm on ( quite hard ) Selle Italia SLR Superflow ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-slr-superflow-saddle-with-titanium-rails/ ) and although I can feel pressure in my "sit bones", on the long run it does not develop into anything worse. Also, the seat is tilted downwards more than most people would have, so it has hardly any contact with, ekhem, other parts of my body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I cycled from home in Santry to gym in Harold's X last week and was left in agony by the time I got there. Short shorts might work, but what do poeple think of these

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLBI155BX/biotex-bioflex-boxer-shorts-with-pad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Skinny jeans? So no Fabric can bunch uncomfortably? Leggings although it would be hard to make leggings Work for work! For ladies you can get knickers with a chamois in them, I'm sure there's a male equivalent. Might be a bit sweaty for a while day though but you could wear normal clothes over them. Out even what about cycling shorts not bibs, be easier to change into and out of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wonder if there's something else at play? I dont think being in agony after a relatively short cycle is right at all...is the bike setup correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I used a padded boxer type padded undershort for years with no problems. Two different types on the site but the ones below are the most similar to what I have.

http://www.wiggle.com/dhb-padded-undershort/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I like the Levi commuter range. The waterproofness doesn't stick around after a few washes, but they're pretty comfy for a day on the saddle around town. The crotch is double lined, moreso for durability, but it does help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I used shorts , similar to those, posted by O.P. in the past, though not the same brand. The problem, I had with them, was the legs of them tended to roll up and become uncomfortable. Maybe my problem was wearing them with jeans, that were a little snug.

gadetra wrote: »
    Skinny jeans? So no Fabric can bunch uncomfortably? Leggings although it would be hard to make leggings Work for work! For ladies you can get knickers with a chamois in them, I'm sure there's a male equivalent. Might be a bit sweaty for a while day though but you could wear normal clothes over them. Out even what about cycling shorts not bibs, be easier to change into and out of?

Skinny jeans are a total no no. I embarrassingly have got stuck in a pair in H&M one day and almost had to call a shop assisstant in. Full panic mode. Had to get my son in to help me out of them. Full Ross scene. I'm 37 FFS, no way.
    I wonder if there's something else at play? I dont think being in agony after a relatively short cycle is right at all...is the bike setup correctly?

This is with multiple bikes and one at least is fitted, the others based on it.
    ray o wrote: »
    I used a padded boxer type padded undershort for years with no problems. Two different types on the site but the ones below are the most similar to what I have.

http://www.wiggle.com/dhb-padded-undershort/
    OldBean wrote: »
    I like the Levi commuter range. The waterproofness doesn't stick around after a few washes, but they're pretty comfy for a day on the saddle around town. The crotch is double lined, moreso for durability, but it does help.

The wiggle link looks good thanks. Could you walk and stand all day in them?

Jeans are out tbh. I already wear through a pair of jeans every 10 months or so just walking so may just stop buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 munstermaddog

You can get a 'gel cushion' for the saddle which will have the same effect as wearing padded shorts. This will save you changing in and out of shorts all the time. Just remember when you lock your bike to take the cushion with you or it will be robbed. Its like a magnet for knackers!

• Advertisement

You can get a 'gel cushion' for the saddle which will have the same effect as wearing padded shorts. This will save you changing in and out of shorts all the time. Just remember when you lock your bike to take the cushion with you or it will be robbed. Its like a magnet for knackers!

Thanks, but I'll never touch one of those.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My understanding is that these are far worse for chaffing than no padding at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

I was told about a pad that you can wear with normal trousers, can't remember the make but a google came up with this:

http://www.tmfcyclingpad.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Have you tried unpadded underarmour type shorts to mitigate the trouser friction?

I know that for me this sort of chafing for cycling or err bike less cycling was resolved by this sort of runderwear.

Or you could lube up your inner thighs... Ooooh matron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hey OP,

are you suffering from chaffing or is it muscle pain?

Is there a reason you have to wear bibs instead of cycling shorts/leggings?

Have you tried the gel saddle cover before?

Have you tried unpadded underarmour type shorts to mitigate the trouser friction?

I know that for me this sort of chafing for cycling or err bike less cycling was resolved by this sort of runderwear.

Or you could lube up your inner thighs... Ooooh matron!

Wear under amour to the gym so it's not that.

Hey OP,

are you suffering from chaffing or is it muscle pain?

Is there a reason you have to wear bibs instead of cycling shorts/leggings?

Have you tried the gel saddle cover before?

Cos shorts suck balls. I never wear them. It's chaffing. No, I would rather stop cycling than use a gel cover. Seriously. They're awful.

It's fine people. I'll be getting the padded boxers. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Switch to y-fronts and a panty liner?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

i had the same pain for weeks.I only started doing long enough distances in the last while.The pain was horible and i had to stop after about 50kms.I felt bad as the lads i was with stopped too even though i told them to go on.

I was about to give up but then i had a 2 week break from cycling and went back and strangely enough the pain had gone.I did a 100 KM cycle last week and had no bother at all.Weird.The lads reckon i simply just got used to it and the area toughened up.

I do wear padded bottoms aswelll though.

Time in the saddle is not my issue thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Get thee to a chemist.
    Buy a few bottles of HTFU.
    Take a few spoons after each meal.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm surprised you're getting that much pain, I'm not cycling all that long but I did my old work commute without padding on a road bike saddle with no pain at all. It was 7.5km, and my saddle was a Fizik Aliante, if that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Friend of mine had a similar issue and changed his saddle to a Brooks Cambium ( one of the versions has a cut out center ). That worked for him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Are you sure your saddle is the right width? I had agony before on a narrow fiizik but got that sit in memory foam specialized thing done and it indicated that 140 or so is my width (I'd been riding a 131). Got the specialized avatar and it's still comfortable 8 years on. Selle Italia gel max flow is also good but I've that on the road bike and you'd need pads with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ror_74 wrote: »
    Friend of mine had a similar issue and changed his saddle to a Brooks Cambium ( one of the versions has a cut out center ). That worked for him .

I can certainly recommend the Brooks Cambium. I ended up doing ~35km the other day doing a shakedown spin on the holiday bike. 23 degrees and in normal jeans and tshirt.(yeah yeah I know)
    Granted the spin the next day was nicer in proper gear, but the saddle is class. I just have the normal one.

Advertisement