Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Dry Skin - Shower gel / Moisturiser

• 01-11-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Would anyone have a recommendation for a shower gel / moisturiser (preferably with scent) that is good for very very dry skin. I use garnier facial moisturiser and it's great but the equivalent body moisturiser does not help.

After I shower my skin gets quite itchy and tight and I have tried several different of the cheaper brands dove, garnier, johnsons but they don't help! Before I spend money on anything a bit more pricey, it would be great if I could get some recommendations!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I'd recommend using Palmers cocoa butter formula. It's cheap (you get it in 250ml bottle), it smells good and I find it works for my skin perfectly which is prone to dryness/ flakiness after showering.

Been using it for 2+ years now before trying a mryiad of other moisturisers.
    Apply it liberally and let it soak in.

Anothe I had used was a clarin moisturiser in a glass tub with a blue top, but it was about 50 euro's for a 100ml afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FBee

SalEB1990 wrote: »
    Would anyone have a recommendation for a shower gel / moisturiser (preferably with scent) that is good for very very dry skin. I use garnier facial moisturiser and it's great but the equivalent body moisturiser does not help.

After I shower my skin gets quite itchy and tight and I have tried several different of the cheaper brands dove, garnier, johnsons but they don't help! Before I spend money on anything a bit more pricey, it would be great if I could get some recommendations!

Aveeno body wash's are really good. As for body moisturisers, I love the body shop shea body butter, although it is expensive its great for very dry skin and smells fantastic! I also use the Cocoa one aswell and its really good too. A much cheaper alternative is Vaseline Cocoa butter moisturising lotion, its so cheap but its really good! Oh I also tried one from aldi by the brand Lacura (I think?) and its amazing!

Just a little tip, try not to have the water to hot, keep it lukewarm and it really makes a difference. Also exfoliate once a week and it helps make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FBee

Aveeno body wash's are really good. As for body moisturisers, I love the body shop shea body butter, although it is expensive its great for very dry skin and smells fantastic! I also use the Cocoa one aswell and its really good too. A much cheaper alternative is Vaseline Cocoa butter moisturising lotion, its so cheap but its really good! Oh I also tried one from aldi by the brand Lacura (I think?) and its amazing!

Just a little tip, try not to have the water to hot, keep it lukewarm and it really makes a difference. Also exfoliate once a week and it helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Coconut oil after your shower will sort you out. I has outrageously dry skin on my legs, and coconut oil twice a day with some Johnstons baby lotion sorted me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You're gonna have to try using a shower gel without a scent, not as nice I know but you get used to it after a while. I suffer from eczema patches and my doctor told me to avoid coloured shower gels like the plague, especially anything with fruity scents. Right now I'm using Sanex 0%, it's in a small clear bottle and has Sanex written in blue. It has no scent or parabens or colourants and my skin has honestly never been softer.

I exfoliate in the shower with this as well just using an exfoliating glove and when I get out while my skin is still wet I apply baby oil. I then dry myself off and use e45 all over and a small amount of palmers coca butter over that as I love the scent and it's amazing on skin. My skin has honestly never been better and my boyfriend tells me my skin feels like velvet! His mother touched my arm the other day and asked my what im using because my arm was like silk. If you're finding your skin to be harsh and tight after using scented shower gels you should really be avoiding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

If you are willing to use unscented products the Elave range is fantastic for very dry skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Coconut oil after your shower will sort you out.

I melted coconut oil & added salt, let it re-harden in silicone cupcake moulds, and use the "bars" in the bath/shower as a mild exfoliant - has cleared up my dry skin & no need for additional moisturiser (cept for my feet :rolleyes: ) going to add some essential oil to the next batch for fragrance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I have v dry skin and find the Eucerin range very good. Their facial moisturiser is the only one I've found that relieves that tight feeling of dry skin

They do body wash, shampoo etc as well and aren't super expensive so could be worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

For a shower gel you could try the Original Source Mint Body Wash. I use that and its a naturally scented mint. I find it very good and no perfume used in it but still has a nice scent.

Here is the ingredients list:

Aqua,Sodium Laureth Sulfate ,Cocamidopropyl Betaine ,Mentha Arvensis (Peppermint) Leaf Oil ,Lauryl Glucoside ,Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil ,Sodium Chloride ,Lactic Acid ,Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer ,Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate ,Sodium Benzoate ,Limonene ,Benzotriazolyl Dodecyl p-Cresol ,BHT ,CI 19140 ,CI 42090

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

I have psorsais which causes my skin to be extremely dry with red itchy angry patches. If I go 2 days without body lotions skin cracks and weaps, it's that dry. Over the years I have tried every moisturiser and body lotion that has ever graced the shelves of Boots and any other pharmacy you can think of. Nothing has ever helped. Ever. Until I discovered the garnier body 7 day body lotion in the green bottle. Specifically the one for dry rough skin, the others have no effect. This stuff makes such a difference to my skin it has actually reduced the amount of steroid lotions I have to use. If I have small patches of psoriasis now this body lotion will usually clear them up whereas previously I would have had to put a steroid on them to prevent them getting bigger. It's not a miracle worker, there's no cure for this condition, but this body lotion has made a big improvement to how I can manage it without just lashing steroids all over. Steroids are very damaging to the skin over time so any reduction in use is good news. I highly recommend this moisturiser, if it can help my extremely dry skin it's worth a try.

Edit to say I note you said you have used garnier previously, if you haven't tried the 7 day one for rough skin, I still recommend giving it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I find the l'Occitane Almond shower oil absolutely fantastic. Can also be used as a bath oil and shaving lotion. Smells heavenly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SalEB1990

Some great suggestions there guys, thank you so much! I really appreciate it :-)! Lots to try now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I like original source shower gels and love garnier 7 days moisturiser. My skin is very dry and itchy and I think this combo is great. Body shop body butters are great too

FBee wrote: »

Just a little tip, try not to have the water to hot, keep it lukewarm and it really makes a difference. Also exfoliate once a week and it helps make a difference.

Thanks for this, I can't have hot showers anyway, they always make me feel faint so at least I'm doing something right! My flatmate always forgets to change the settings on the shower after me and nearly dies of the cold haha!

Just on the exfoliating. Would you get an exfoliating scrub or just use one of those glove things?

Finally getting the time to head up to boots this evening to stock up! Dry skin be gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Plus one for the Aveeno products. My mum uses it on her psoriasis and finds that it helps, calms her skin down and stopped the inflammations looking so angry looking. My uncle also used it, it was recommended to him when he was undergoing chemo and radio.

Hello again!

So having read through all of your great advice, I decided to get Aveeno body wash, exfoliating gloves and Garnier Body Repair... first time after a shower that I wasn't itchy all over in I don't know how long! Happy days :-)

Also, suffer very badly from chapped lips so bought Eucerin Intensive Lip Balm... it's amazing!!!!

Thanks again for all your advice, really appreciate it :-)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you like the Aveeno stuff it's 1/3 off in Boots at the moment.

I use the body wash and the unscented oatmeal body lotion (can't remember the exact name) and they're fantastic - especially the body lotion. My skin would be prone to patches of excema.

Recommended to me years ago by a dermatologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've been using Sanctuary 2 day moisturising shower gel for a few months now and I find it very good. I use it every day and a couple of times a week I'll apply it with exfoliating gloves for a bit of a buff up.

Advertisement