Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me choose - Sony Z1, HTC One, Note 3 etc...

Options
  • 06-11-2013 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I'm due an upgrade soon but torn between phones at the moment.

I currently have an S3 which i love - was thinking of a Note 3, but it's coming in at about €389 upgrade price which is too much.

Thought about the S4 - but thinking it might be a bit samey like my S3 and wouldn't mind a complete change..

Heard HTC One are good - not too gone on the look of though and it's 6 months old now.

Saw a Sony Xperia Z1 yesterday and really liked it - love the fact it's water and dust proof - big plus and I like the size. Read though the screen isn't great and it can overheat - not so good.

The Nokia 1020 looks great - but guy in store told me windows OS wasn't very good so that put me off.

Anyone help me choose? Would love some feedback or recommendations/suggestions.

Like the sound of the LG G2 - but can't be got in Ireland. Nexus 5 sounds good too - but I want to get the phone on bill pay and use my upgrade discount so can't get that either.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything else? Any good phones to look up that I haven't mentioned?

Which phone? 56 votes

Note 3
    0% 0 votes
    Samsung S4
    28% 16 votes
    Sony Xperia Z1
    3% 2 votes
    HTC One
    16% 9 votes
    Nokia 1020
    46% 26 votes
    Other - let me know below
    5% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Got the z1 a couple of weeks ago, have to say is a great phone. Battery life is fantastic and haven't noticed anything wrong with the screen. It's a bit heavy but it feels sturdy rather than bulky

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive had GS4,Nokia 920 [similar to the latest one] and HTC One,6 months old or not the HTC one is the pick of the bunch and 99% of reviews ive read agree with me.
    You didnt mention the Nexus 5, by all accounts its meant to be a nice phone, personally i think it looks like a brick similar to the N4,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Note 3 all the way. Insane power and best phone ever for media. If size doesnt bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

+1 for Z1. Got one a couple of weeks ago, and am loving it. Great battery life too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

Thanks for all the feedback appreciate it!

Hmmm, will think about it for another while so and see what prices I can get on the handsets to help me decide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Keep an eye on nexus 5 prices. You could get one for around the price of the note 3 on upgrade but you could then switch to sim only meaning a lower monthly payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

When I was moving from an s3 I had similar reservations about the s4 so I decided to get the HTC one, it's a great phone. Since then I got the s4 and a nexus 4 but I'd still say the HTC is a better phone.
    I'd consider the nexus 5 but not sure if it matches the HTC spec wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Just weighing in my opinions on these phones :)

The HTC One being 6 months old doesn't make it any less awesome, I picked one up last week and I'm loving it. Not to mention it's due new Android and Sense UI updates soon. I was skeptical about the silver version from the pics but once I actually held it in person I was amazed. IMO by far the best looking phone out at the moment and an absolute joy to use.

The S4 is no doubt an awesome and powerful phone but I don't really like the plasticy feel. The Note phones are WAY too big for my liking. The Z1 is definitely a worthy contender with its newer/better specs, I'm biased against the look of Sony phones though. And yeah the Nokia would probably depend on if you wanted to take a leap to using Windows Phone OS!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

Thanks for all the replies! HTC is winning by a mile so far in the poll.

The One is actually the cheapest phone for me to get my hands on too. Must take a proper look at it one of the days,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I went from S3 to htc one and it's a dream. Feels great, I've had it for 5 months now, and it still feels new in a strange way. Also, with the blue and black ones in stock around now, you can get a fresh looking one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

BogManInc wrote: »

I currently have an S3 which i love - was thinking of a Note 3, but it's coming in at about €389 upgrade price which is too much.

Did you factor in potential trade value for the S3?

I'm not familiar with individual model numbers on the S3 but a quick look at 02 recycle indicated you could still get the bones of €150 in trade for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd consider the nexus 5 but not sure if it matches the HTC spec wise.

It does, not sure about the camera on the One but otherwise they're very similar. Price aside obviously. The HTC does have a metal body and better speakers, but I love the Nexus' rubberised back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I went from a Desire HD to a One X to a Note 3 and the Note 3 is hands down the greatest phone I've ever had.

I'd forgotten that it was huge within a couple of days and now it's just 'my phone' and I wouldn't be without it.

I was hesitant to sign up for a 2 year contract, but I honestly can't see my needs/wants outstripping what the Note 3 can provide in that time.

my next phone will almost certainly be a Note 4 or whatever samsung replaces it with, but in 2015 when I'm due a new phone, that could be almost anything with the way the technology is progressing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

How about the old reliable?

Nokia 5110.

Best phone ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Just get a Note 3 and be done with it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

if I can piggy back on this thread...

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the S4, HTC 1 and Xperia Z.

Anyone have any further thoughts or recommendations on these?

(the note is too big for me, so please dont say note 3!)

Advertisement