Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which deshedding tool is best?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't use the furminator that much on my retriever anymore - i was worried about it cutting his coat and the hair would go everywhere when i was usingnit. I use an undercoat rake and a slicker - both Safari cos that's what they sell in pet mania lol. He swims at the beach at the weekend and also does hydro once a week which loosens all the dead hair so i usually give him a light spary of furminator water less shampoo then dry him off and use the rake and slicker and it works a treat. You don't get a handful of hair when you pet him like some of his buddies!:)

Edit - our slicker is like the first one in your links - it has a button on the back which pushes part of it forward past the pins so you can lift the fur off easily.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm not a groomer, but I have used both of those brushes, so I'll give you my take on them!
    I found the Furminator, quite frankly, to be an instrument of torture. I used it very sparingly and lightly on my longcoat GSD, and though it removed hair, it also managed to remove skin in places:(. And I really mean I was as gentle as could be with it. So, my furminator was binned.
    The slicker isn't bad, but again you have to be very gentle with it: they can get "slicker scorch" when the hair is overbrushed and the skin gets scratched (try it on yourself, it's not comfortable, but I think if you're very gentle with the dog, it's not so bad with the coat protecting them).
    So, for a dog with a similar coat to a Retriever, I used the slicker sparingly, but mostly used an undercoat rake and metal comb.
    They may take a little longer to work with daily grooming, but the dog will be happier!:)
    I'd be interested to hear what a qualified groomer has to say, so hopefully someone will post here!

Edited to add: tk123 posted as I was writing, and her post reminds me that yes, I found too that the Furminator tended to break the hair, making the coat look moth-eaten.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I used to groom and to be honest, I would use either or a rake. If its an issue or a lot of shedding I would go with the furminator, and make sure its the real furminator and not one of the cheaper knockoffs. I use the furminator on my dogs, cats and ferrets and have never had a problem with it. The slicker will not take out as much undercoat as quickly as the furminator so means longer time spent grooming, and the pins can bend really easily if again a cheap knock off but otherwise I've found it good, just more time consuming.

The rake is absolutely fantastic for the retriever coat (especially as one of my old client's retrievers used to come in looking like a sheep; that dog had seriously thick hair!!)

Has that helped at all Shanao. Nope:D But seriously, I would use either the furminator or the rake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 LaLaLand101

That's what I had thought about the furminator, thanks!
    Which would be better to get - the dog rake or slicker brush?
    Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

im a groomer amd i would deffo go for a s;icker and rake not mad on the furminator as it tents to take living hair which is not what you are looking for.when brushing start at the base of the neck and work your way down .dont brush more than 5 times in the same spot to avoid brush burn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Check here, they have a version of the Furminator for long haired breeds and they are very cheap.
    http://www.hollywoodshop.co.uk/furminator-c-32.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Coat King is great and not damaging...unless Im sure if you over groom...like anying it might be!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mars-Coat-King-Double-width-18-Blade/dp/B0012GLEGU/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1311671257&sr=1-4

Advertisement