Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clippers recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

argos ones are not great as they have the plastic guide combs and not that great a notor. your best bet is too look up the oster a 5twin speed or a 5 gold zoo plus hene them. their a beast:D
    you would also nrrd blades a no10 and no 5 would probablt do yahttp://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/clippers_shears/oster_clippers/136105

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

pokertalk wrote: »
    argos ones are not great as they have the plastic guide combs and not that great a notor. your best bet is too look up the oster a 5twin speed or a 5 gold zoo plus hene them. their a beast:D
    you would also nrrd blades a no10 and no 5 would probablt do yahttp://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/clippers_shears/oster_clippers/136105

Iv used the ones you linked to and yes they are brilliant to use and I'd love a set but at €109 without a blade and then to add another roughly €25 on top of that for a blade is a bit too expensive for me considering the amount of use they'l get (couple of times a year). I thought Wahl was a fairly ok brand, was I wrong?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If you buy a Wahl, chances are you'll be replacing it in 2-3 years.
    Whereas if you get a better quality maching like the Oster, or Andis, you'll get a machine that will last you for the life of the dog, perhaps longer, with such light work! The blades are expensive, but are good for up to 200 clips, so again, will probably do you for the life of your dog and beyond.
    In addition, the quality of the clip is better with them, and they are nice and quiet too!
    So, I suppose like a lot of things, you get what you pay for. I clip my own 2 dogs 4-5 times a year each. At €40 each for one professional session, my andis 2-speed clippers were well paid for within a year. I bought them about 5 years ago. Apart from my own 2 dogs, I also use them for clipping maybe 25 rescue dogs a year, and they can have really badly matted coats. I'm very pleased with it! I'd have gone through 4+ Wahl clippers in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have the €58 set, they are pretty good, have them almost 2 years and they're only starting to go now. I have 2 long haired dogs and use the clippers every 6 weeks, sometimes more on one of the dogs.
    My dogs are double coated as well as long haired, they take a lot of work with the clippers, so I think its well worth the money. So what if the only lasted me 2 years I saved about €1000 in grooming fee's.
    For a wire haired terrier type they'd be grand and last a good bit longer, just clean them and oil them like it recommends.

Oh and a little tip, first time use a long blade, then go shorter if you need it, I used a short blade and it was so uneven the dogs looked a mess. Nearly had to skin them to tidy it up. (I got better over time, now it looks almost as good as the groomer)

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Iv used the ones you linked to and yes they are brilliant to use and I'd love a set but at €109 without a blade and then to add another roughly €25 on top of that for a blade is a bit too expensive for me considering the amount of use they'l get (couple of times a year). I thought Wahl was a fairly ok brand, was I wrong?
    suppose the whal brand might suit for what you need but i would still stand by the oster a 5 i it wil last you for ever for the extra money and has a great 2 speed motor with a cooler running temp. i recon if you look after the wahl v well u will get away with it. i use one as a back up incase anything should go wrong. i groom upto 15 dogs a week so would have to use the best one it will save me money in the long term . the cut and the speed of the oster is just much better which means less time grooming which is a plus when it comes to unsettled dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

http://http://www.flair.ie/specials.php?p_id=8242&pt=wahl-super-taper-clippers

Would you think of something like this? I know its for humans but it will last a barber 6 months no prob.
    The steel blades can be screwed off when you get it and remove the little foam piece. Put the blades back on small blade slightly lower than large blade, this prevents it from clogging up.
    Its easy to give a clean out if you need to and it will come with 1-4 blades. you can buy larger attachments if you want the hair to be longer( a euro or 2).

I use the same type only its a beard trimmer on a longhaired cat and find it grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

In the end went with the €65 professional Wahl cordless ones from argos. Done the job (even if a bit too well :D). The plastic guide combs are rubbish so just used the blade on it's own and it flew through his thick coat. There lovely and small and fairly lightweight and quiet, it's a plus that there cordless so it means it can do it outside so it looked like something very hairy died in our garden but at least thats better than hairs all over the house! :D I'm happy with them anyways, they'l do for what I need them for anyways.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    In the end went with the €65 professional Wahl cordless ones from argos. Done the job (even if a bit too well :D). The plastic guide combs are rubbish so just used the blade on it's own and it flew through his thick coat. There lovely and small and fairly lightweight and quiet, it's a plus that there cordless so it means it can do it outside so it looked like something very hairy died in our garden but at least thats better than hairs all over the house! :D I'm happy with them anyways, they'l do for what I need them for anyways.
    grand. just be carefull of clipper burns when your cutting them that short;)

Advertisement