Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 10'' Netbook MEDION® AKOYA 4th March

Options
  • 26-02-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Just up;
    here

Specs for your €299.99 include;

Intel® Atom™ processor N450 (1.66 GHz)
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 based on PCI-Express technology
    10"/25cm widescreen LED backlight display with a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels
    1 GB DDR2 SDRAM memory
    250 GB S-ATA hard disk for more than 50,000 music tracks or photos2
    Integrated Bluetooth® 2.1
    Integrated 1.3 MP webcam with microphone
    MEDION® Solid Keyboard Separately mounted keys ensure improved stability and enhanced writing comfort
    Integrated sound system with 2 speakers
    Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11n-standard technology with up to 300 Mbit/s., 802.11b/g compatible1
    Network controller Ethernet LAN (10/100 MBit/s.)
    6 cell li-ion high performance battery for extended battery life
    4-in-1 multi-format memory card reader3
    Comprehensive software package (OEM versions) with original Windows® 7 Starter Edition
    and much more…

like 3 year warranty!

Also on offer on the day are 8gig USB sticks for a cent short of €18
    and
    2gig SD card (Writes 6MB/s reads 15MB/s), a cent short of €13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭sundodger5

not that much of a bargain. shop around got a dell mini 10V for 256 in pc world last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Nice to see it has the new Atom N450 and not the older one at least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,055 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

sundodger5 wrote: »
    not that much of a bargain. shop around got a dell mini 10V for 256 in pc world last week.

Better spec than the dell mini though and with a three year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

If only it had a HDMI out on it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I like the fact that the keys are seperatly mounted, I'd imagine that if they were all mounted together that typing would be difficult.

WildeFalcon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

May be slightly more but would definitely go for this over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Zonda999 wrote: »
    May be slightly more but would definitely go for this over it
    Why?

Also, the 3 year warranty is a seller for me, even the Asus Eee PC's have only 1 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Just reputation i guess, samsungs netbooks are the best seller. Not that there would be anything wrong with this one at all, probably prefer the look and keyboard style of the Samsung as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

I wouldnt go near a Aldi laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

cable842 wrote: »

Medion Akoya are usually rebranded\slightly tweaked other brands, typically MSI.

Just on a detail from the listing details, why do they boast about the graphics being based on PCI-Express, isn't part of the Intel D450 spec, that the graphic controller is integrated with the CPU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

cable842 wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What's wrong with buying an Aldi laptop? They're probably one of the better shops tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's wrong with buying an Aldi laptop? They're probably one of the better shops tbh.

People are snobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

godtabh wrote: »
    People are snobs

Nothing wrong with being a snob, separates us from the lower class chavvy scum :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

One good reason to go for the Samsung over the Medion- you can actually listen to it, it has decent speakers- better than you'll get on any other netbook by any other manufacturer.

smccarrick wrote: »
    One good reason to go for the Samsung over the Medion- you can actually listen to it, it has decent speakers- better than you'll get on any other netbook by any other manufacturer.

To cut costs the Samsung N130 only has one mono speaker, avoid that one.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

Does anyone actually think this is a good deal?

I'm heading to England in a few weeks so do you think it would be better off to wait and see if I get something better over there?

It depends, there still seems to be a premium with Netbooks supplied with Windows 7, which usually nudges the price up towards 315+ euro.

The hardware is bog standard, if you web browsed with an Atom N280, then an Atom D450, there's hardly anyone that could tell the difference, performance wise.

To put things in perspective, you can pick up a rather nice Asus Eee PC Seashell 1005HA, from Elara.ie, for 280 VAT inclusive, new.

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1761316&productID=S6684119

A slightly smaller HD and XP, but the machine is comparable. Swings and roundabouts..

Advertisement