Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coastal Sunrise in Dublin

Options
  • 31-05-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all. I'm trying to figure out somewhere in Dublin to watch the sunrise next Saturday morning. I'd prefer the coast as we'd be coming from Dublin city centre. I was thinking either Sandymount, Dun Laoighre Pier or Killiney Hill (but I'm not sure if they close Killiney Hill Park overnight). Was just wondering what people think, or if there are other suggestions that I've not thought of.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd vote for the top of the Great South Wall. It faces due east, and is just gorgeous.

You'd have something to view the sunrise in front of, instead of just sea.

1157513_521710954549797_1650425658_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bookworm66

That looks great, and much closer to town too!!

bookworm66 wrote: »
    That looks great, and much closer to town too!!
    One of my favourite places in Dublin.

It's a lot longer than it looks in that photo. You can walk out and feel as if you're literally walking out into the bay.

And if you hang around till about 8am you'll have the whole port waking up, and ships and ferries and pilot boats coming and going - I love it down there in the early morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lodger222

The car park at the BLue Light Pub . You can see the whole east coast from howth to bray on a clear day.
    THe pub is located at Barnaculia , near Stepaside .

The suggestion of Poolbeg Lighthouse is also a spectacular spot.

In fact the people at the Blue Light say that on a good day it,s possible to see Wales and on a bad day you can see England. !!!

only joking!

OP, I really hope you have an "in" with the weather Gods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The car park at Killiney Hill is open at night and is an excellent option.

Also, Howth Head offers excellent vistas of Dublin Bay and is worth considering. There's a car park up a lane way behind the Summit that allows access to the cliff. It goes without saying that if you venture onto the walkway then be careful around here in low light or if the weather is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

A little bit further out (and slightly more adventurous ;-) but the view of the sunrise over Dublin from the top of the Great Sugar Loaf is always panoramic and impressive. About a 15-20 minute walk from the car park and you need a torch

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bookworm66

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I did just have a look at the weather for the weekend and I might put it off for a while. Forgot that summer in Ireland doesn't necessarily mean nicer weather!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement