Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cuda Vs Frog bikes for Kids

• 21-11-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

After buying a cheap heavy bike for our 5year old daughter, we have realised that it was a bit of a false economy and are looking to upgrade to a Cuda or Frog bike for her and her four year old brother this Christmas.
    The Frog are a bit more expensive and funds are tight, but after being caught out before we are determined to get it right this time.
    Are the Frog bikes worth the extra expense over Cuda's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

We checked out both and both are well built and good quality. We went with the frog as with its long islabike style frame design it fit really well.
    As they are in the shops you can try each and see what fits your youngster.

Just to add I wouldn't go crazy expensive at this age group they just need a better than a toy bike to get them going.

I would save the expensive bike for when they at the next bike stage, my 5-6 year old doesn't get much use out of the gears and I would probably go single speed if it wasn't for the hills on our commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

flatface wrote: »
    Just to add I wouldn't go crazy expensive at this age group they just need a better than a toy bike to get them going.

I would save the expensive bike for when they at the next bike stage, my 5-6 year old doesn't get much use out of the gears and I would probably go single speed if it wasn't for the hills on our commute.

Our big problem with the toy bike for our 5 year old is on the hills. As soon as there is any hint of an incline she struggles with the weight of the bike. It is really hampering her enjoyment of the cycling as she is constantly needing to get off and push the bike up even the slightest slope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I haven't looked at Cuda but we went with a Frog for our 6yr old and a few weeks in we are very happy with it. Her previous bike was an Islabike and the quality of the Frog is similar. I haven't seen the comparable Islabike model in the flesh mind you but on paper the spec is quite similar too.

In case you are Dublin based, we bought the Frog in Joe Daly Cycles in Dundrum, they had some in stock so our daughter was able to try it out and give it her seal of approval, which was very useful. They were very helpful in there too, I've been back since to buy a kick-stand, SKS mudguards and a pannier rack for the bike (the stock mudguards it comes with are very basic/short so not great for my daughter given that she'll be commuting on this bike), I'd recommend the shop.

Our daughter has been using the gears already, mostly out of novelty probably but I could see them being useful for her on some of the routes she cycles on occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Happy with the cuda here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

IS there anywhere in Dublin that stocks both?

I was in Little Sport today and he only has the frog

TIA

IS there anywhere in Dublin that stocks both?

I was in Little Sport today and he only has the frog

TIA

You could try the frog in Dundrum and then go to Fitzcycles in Stillorgan to try the cuda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

My 6 year old boy has a frog and my 4 year old his old cuda.

The frog is an absolutely cracking bike, its light and he flies around on it and uses the gears all the time up and down hills. I didnt like the idea of him having gears, but turns out they are great and he loves them.

The cuda is a decent bike but not anywhere near in the same class as the frog. I have a third boy who is nearly 1 and thats the reason I spent 300 odd quid...there will be serious hand me downs.

If you are interested, take a look at Islabikes and Early Rider aswell. They are great quality bikes, but even more expensive. There is unbelievable resale value though on all these bikes, so you really wont be sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

We have had a Cuda and a bunch of islabikes in our house. Cuda was a great bike for the money. I would class it as the entry level proper bike. Reasonable weight and proper working brakes. Islabikes quite a step up on the Cuda but much more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Also, I had a really bad experience with Little Sport, in Fairview, buying the Frog. I ordered a new bike and after two weeks, got a call saying it was in. Picked up the bike and at home noticed it wasnt very clean, had a number of scratches and looked like it had been ridden.

So I took a look online and the 2015 version had a number of differences from the 2014 version (this was April), like more gears, different handles etc.

So I rang Frog in the UK to see if Little Sport had ordered a Frog in the last two weeks and low and behold, Little Sport hadnt ordered a bike since before Christmas (i.e. 4 months ago).

Initially, he had offered me to buy a used shop demo model for like 280 but I said I would pay the 320 for the new bike. Sneaky little b**tard......he had tried to pass off the demo as a new bike and I had him by the balls.

So I went in and calmly explained the issue to him, he threw out that he had the box upstairs and everything that it had been built just the other day. I didnt tell him that I had spoken to Frog, but stated very clearly that this wasnt the truth, that I didnt want a refund, just that I wanted the bike that I ordered (6 days before his birthday).

Got on the phone to Frog again on the monday(they are seriously helpful) to make sure that the order had been received and it was. Got the bike at about 5.30pm as they closed the day before sons birthday. Of course the owner wasnt around and I was given the right bike by a bike tech.

Never received an apology or any sort of explanation and would never ever step foot in the shop again! Bandits!

• Advertisement

Does anyone reckon the frog or cuda will be reduced anywhere in January?

Just to update.
    I went over to Daly's and fitz cy!cles today to fit my young lad.
    First. Impressions were that the cuda was very heavy and not as well built as the frog.
    I ended up putting a depost down on a frog for collection just before Christmas.
    I dealt with David, really helpful guy and he did me a deal on the bike so it was a worthwhile excusrsion south side.
    I'll take off the pedals for a few weeks until he gets used to it.

They were cheaper than little sports!

Thanks for the advice.

The weight, and quality I think its reflected in the price.

Steel bikes < Cuda < Frog < Isabike

The Cuda we had was good. Better quality and much lighter than any of the similar steel bikes I looked.

Should really bring a travel scale to check out weights. Avoiding gears, suspension will all make it lighter.

beauf wrote: »
    The weight, and quality I think its reflected in the price.

Steel bikes < Cuda < Frog < Isabike

The Cuda we had was good. Better quality and much lighter than any of the similar steel bikes I looked.

Should really bring a travel scale to check out weights. Avoiding gears, suspension will all make it lighter.

It was only 40€ difference. Frog was noticeably lighter and better built.
    Looked at a Raleigh in comparison and it was heavier than my own bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

It was only 40€ difference. Frog was noticeably lighter and better built.
    Looked at a Raleigh in comparison and it was heavier than my own bike!

Anywhere in Cork for Frog bikes. Checked out a cuda for my 4 year old in The Edge down here and thought it was a little heavy and though better than a cheap bike not totally convinced.

Be great if people could post specific details. Like exact price, actual weight, specs of gears of any, materials, steel, alu etc, adult or kids sized levers. Things like that.

A Halfords Apollo was passed down to us 10sp, dual sus, steel 20" and it is heavier than my own steel non sus mtb. To the point where I won't put it on the car rack. Its probably around 15kg.

I note a lot of bmx bikes are steel and weigh a ton. I would have thought they would be lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

tipping wrote: »
    Anywhere in Cork for Frog bikes. Checked out a cuda for my 4 year old in The Edge down here and thought it was a little heavy and though better than a cheap bike not totally convinced.

Shop in Mallow does them both Frog and Cuda.

inc21 wrote: »

Cheers might try to make the trip up for a look.

beauf wrote: »
    Be great if people could post specific details. Like exact price, actual weight, specs of gears of any, materials, steel, alu etc, adult or kids sized levers. Things like that.

A Halfords Apollo was passed down to us 10sp, dual sus, steel 20" and it is heavier than my own steel non sus mtb. To the point where I won't put it on the car rack. Its probably around 15kg.

I note a lot of bmx bikes are steel and weigh a ton. I would have thought they would be lighter.

http://www.altitude.ie/store/product/48228/FROG-55-20%22-WHEEL-ALUMINIUM-BIKE.-11%22-FRAME/ Mince cost €320 in Joe Dalys in Dundrum

In comparison

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/460/cuda-mayhem#techspec-tab-tab €275
    From what I can see else where its 11kg

Frog weighs 8.9 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

inc21 wrote: »

We got our two Frogs there. Handy to be able to compare the two bikes. Found them to be very helpful

• Advertisement

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    We got our two Frogs there. Handy to be able to compare the two bikes. Founf them to be very helpful

Called in today. Nice shop and sound lads with helpful honest advice. The frog seems a lot better than the cuda to me so probably going to go with it.

I picked up my sons Frog from Dalys yesterday.
    Very impressed with what I got. It came fully equipped with mudguards and bell and a spare set of tyres. I bring it back in a few months for a free service
    They also threw in a €30 helmet for free :D

Advertisement