Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mail from Jane???

Options
  • 26-02-2004 1:52am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i got an e-mail in my hotmail acc from someone called Jane. there was no subject to the e-mail and i don't know any Jane, so it's proboly spam or a virus, or some other ****, but i'm curious. i've updated my norton firewall tonight and wondering if i would be protected if it is a virus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Eye

make sure you've done all your live updates and run scans to be on the safe side, my dad got 2 of them last week, luckly the first was picked up by the anti-virus when he went to open it, can't recall the name of the virus think it might have been a variant of the mydoom virus but can't say for sure, thankfully he had more sense and deleted the e-mail when he got it the second time round without opening it ;)

dunno whayt it is about my dad's e-mail accounts he tends to get very little in the line of spam (maybe 4-5 a day between his 2 addresses) but has had about 5-6 virus e-mails in the last 2 months or so. meanwhile i get about 40-50 spam e-mails a day between my 3 e-mail accounts and have only ever recieved 1 e-mail with a virus attached .... go figure :rolleyes:

anyways safest thing to do is delete it and don't look back, run your scans and all later just to be sure, if in doubt delete it that's what i always say

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

what was the contents of the body? attachments? (and if you still have the mail.. headers)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I got this from a jane this morning, no attachments though,
    Subj: chain letter emails

Sorry to bother you but I am hoping that you might be able to help
    me, I found your e-mail address on a chain letter that was sent to me
    and thought that as your name was on a chain letter you may have
    other chain e-mail letters (forwards) that you could send to me?

I am doing a project at college regarding the different subjects that
    go around the Internet on chain e-mail letters and how many people
    they actually reach, I would be very grateful if you could send me
    any that you have, absolutely anything and everything.

I would also be very grateful if you would be kind enough to forward
    this e-mail to all your friends as I need as many as I can get my
    hands on for the project to be a success.

Your help would very much be appreciated.

Thanks

Jane
    this the same one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thats funny :) I wonder how many people replyed and gave out their live emaili addresss.

I read recently that spamers reckon a response from 1 in a million emails is a good turn over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

as a address collector tis remarkably convincing, more so than the norm nyway I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dear Jane
    I get a lot of chain mail from chain mail researchers.
    Yours etc.

I would also be very grateful if you would be kind enough to forward
    this e-mail to all your friends as I need as many as I can get hands on for the project to be a success.

Advertisement