Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ in Northern Ireland

• 16-04-2005 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Interesting article from the Belfast Telegraph;

'Huge threat' as RTE drops in from Sky

Ratings war looms for broadcasters

By Ben Lowry

15 April 2005

The arrival of RTE in Northern Ireland has "massive" implications for broadcasting here, a media expert said today.

Tony Axon said the availability of the Republic's main broadcaster on Sky digital posed a major challenge to UTV.

All non-sporting programmes currently shown on RTE, including BBC soap opera Eastenders and American drama West Wing, will be broadcast to Sky digital customers north of the border from 11am on Monday.

Some RTE sporting fixtures will only be shown in the Republic, depending on broadcasting rights.

RTE1, RTE2 and Irish language channel TG4 will be available on channels 267, 268 and 269.

Mr Axon, a media analyst with Navigator Blue, said: "This is a massive development because it makes RTE and TG4 a fully 32-county broadcaster, and it is a challenge to UTV's share of viewing.

"RTE will be saying to advertisers who use UTV: look, we can cover the north for you. That is where the challenge and competition lies."

Until now, only homes in border areas or those with cable or a special aerial have been able to pick up RTE in Northern Ireland.

At present, the most-watched of the RTE channels, RTE1, has only a 2.4% audience share in the province.

"That could easily triple," Mr Axon said.

But UTV said it welcomed the introduction of RTE on Sky, and predicted that it would not make a significant difference to viewing figures.

"RTE already has 70% penetration in Northern Ireland," a spokeswoman said.

She pointed out that UTV was "by far the first choice for viewers in Northern Ireland," which was the UK's most competitive television market with 60% of homes having access to more than 250 channels.

Formerly, RTE showed Coronation Street, the rights to which proved a stumbling block to any deal in Northern Ireland. The popular soap was then transferred to TV3, paving the way for an agreement.

"If RTE was still carrying Coronation Street, this probably would not be happening," Mr Axon said.

He also said the arrival of RTE on Sky posed major challenges for TV3, the Republic's independent broadcaster, as it will no longer be on an equal footing with RTE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

Yes, sorry to say it but I was right……….Northern Ireland will have a separate feed of RTÉ 2 on Sky.
    How else will they be able to block “certain sports events” for N.I. but show them in the republic with just one satellite channel for the whole of Ireland! We now know the real reason for the “test” channel, it will carry RTÉ 2 for N.I. since all sports coverage is on that channel. When N.I. gets the “Programme not available” notice the match etc. will still be on the original encrypted RTÉ 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Yes, sorry to say it but I was right……….Northern Ireland will have a separate feed of RTÉ 2 on Sky.
    How else will they be able to block “certain sports events” for N.I. but show them in the republic with just one satellite channel for the whole of Ireland! We now know the real reason for the “test” channel, it will carry RTÉ 2 for N.I. since all sports coverage is on that channel. When N.I. gets the “Programme not available” notice the match etc. will still be on the original encrypted RTÉ 2.

Can they not just switch onto "hard" encryption like they do each evening on FilmFour? Chances are, if there's a second stream it's going to impact on overall picture quality on the Irish stations. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Could the Not have an opt out service for the North. I.E. RTE ONE NI or RTE TWO NI and TG4 TNaE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

I'd imagine they'll do what BBC2 NI used to do across the UK when showing GAA - the "08 this channel is not available" message will appear on Northern Subs. They could do what BBC Scotland do and show an on screen message (on Dsat) telling viewers to switch to analogue, however I really can't see RTE running a seperate NI version just to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

quite simple to block a programme in a certain region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Elmo wrote:
    Could the Not have an opt out service for the North. I.E. RTE ONE NI or RTE TWO NI and TG4 TNaE?

I can see the appeal of this for RTE. It would also give them an oppurtunity to have adverts for NI only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

jdempsey wrote:
    I can see the appeal of this for RTE. It would also give them an oppurtunity to have adverts for NI only.

If the idea it took off and "RTE NI" only had NI-related adverts, then it would certainly be ironic that UTV and Channel 4 would continue to take adverts from the South and that the only source of exclusively NI-related advertising would not be from NI itself!

I really can't see RTE going down the route of NI opts. After all they never really managed regional opts within the ROI itself. While it wouldn't cost that much to actually do - automation makes opts a simple enough affair, they have already 70% + coverage of NI as it is and have made little or no effort to sell to that market, so why would they bother now, when it would cost money to do so ?

coverage of NI as it is and have made little or no effort to sell to that market, so why would they bother now, when it would cost money to do so ?

I thought if you invest money into something you get a return. Perhaps RTE might start to invest in a marketing campain.
    After all they never really managed regional opts within the ROI itself

Do we want regional opt outs? I know I don't.

While I think BBC Newsline is very well made, other shows are generally dreadful, RTE is bad enought with out Regional Programming on the Air.

While I think BBC Newsline is very well made, other shows are generally dreadful, RTE is bad enought with out Regional Programming on the Air.

I meant regional advertising opts, not programming !

(Nice to see RTE on this morning, even if it is an afternoon show at breakfast time....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

Well here we go folks………..Ireland’s national channels, available nationally!
    Added to EPG at 10:30
    (Trying to upload image)

Well here we go folks………..Ireland’s national channels, available nationally!
    Added to EPG at 10:30
    (Trying to upload image)

Or maybe it's just ROI's National Channels available extra-territorially!

I'm guessing that they are part of the Family Pack and no special "RTE Pack". I wonder if RTE are covering their costs on this one. If I was still an Irish Licence-fee payer, I'd be annoyed. Though I guess that it is similar to when BBC ONE and TWO appeared in the Irish Family Pack.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well at least now it's tit for tat.

Well, now we know, for viewers in the North it's just gonna be the "08 This channel is not available" message when programmes they have no rights to show outside the ROI come on. RTE2 went off at 8.

Well, now we know, for viewers in the North it's just gonna be the "08 This channel is not available" message when programmes they have no rights to show outside the ROI come on. RTE2 went off at 8.

Would it not make sence for RTE to re run RTE programming when they don't have the rights.

RTE Two will be off most of the day.

Or just have a seprate channel for viewers in the north. RTE ONE with shows from RTE TWO on when they don't hold the rights for foreign shows.

E.G during ER on RTE ONE up north they could show the Sunday Game. Or during EastEnders they could show Scope, Read Write Now, The Cafe and maybe a weekly news show. The West Wing could be replace with The Panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Elmo wrote:
    Would it not make sence for RTE to re run RTE programming when they don't have the rights.

What?! Transmit the channels twice meaning the cram a load of channels onto the transponder, and then cause the picture quality to drop dramatically resulting in a quality which some shopping channels beat?! No thank you! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Elmo wrote:
    Or just have a seprate channel for viewers in the north. RTE ONE with shows from RTE TWO on when they don't hold the rights for foreign shows.

I've thought up a name for it..... Tara.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ahh Tara, the channel that should never have closed..

/me reminisces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bytecon

I remember when NTL (North) first introducted RTE, they blocked all sorts of programmes on it .. AFAIK it was home and away and maybe some others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

byte wrote:
    Ahh Tara, the channel that should never have closed..

/me reminisces

I really miss TARA, if only they had TARA Europe I'd even give Montrose money for it!!! Oh RTE you really miss opportunities to sell Ireland and RTE overseas!!! Think of all the people in the UK who would love to see RTE TV progs. God I'd love to knock a few heads together in Montrose!!! you fools!!!

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Elmo

It would cost too much, they'd need another area to run the "opt out service", plus they'd have to pay to run another "stream" of both channels just for the North. They wouldn't be able to sell ads on the opt as anyone with half a brain would know northern viewers (70% + in the North of Ireland have RTE) would have switched back to analogue to watch the "missing programmes" anyway.

why aren't shows block for Irish viewers south of the boarder. i.e. what Rights do C4 and Sky buy?

They acquired the Sat rights for UK and Ireland, much as BBC1 NI originally did, RTE had passed these up when they stated they weren't interested in Broadcasting on Sat.

SRB wrote:

What was showing at the time?

I'm sort of surprised that NTL manage to show RTE in full and Sky don't, however.

Richard wrote:
    What was showing at the time?

Sport Files according to DS. i though NTL blank out some shows to keep Channel 5 happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What?! Transmit the channels twice meaning the cram a load of channels onto the transponder, and then cause the picture quality to drop dramatically resulting in a quality which some shopping channels beat?! No thank you! :p

Last time I checked there was plenty of additional capacity on that transponder.

maybe so but RTÉ cant afford a new channel so this discussion about a new channel is pointless :)

maybe so but RTÉ cant afford a new channel so this discussion about a new channel is pointless

This is a company that wants a 24hr news service etc.
    i though NTL blank out some shows to keep Channel 5 happy

Realistically should UK tv channels care.

1. How many unionist are actally going to watch RTE or TG4. That discounts 50% of the poplulation.
    2. Northern Ireland is tiny, It not like RTE or TG4 broadcast into Britain.

Elmo wrote:
    2. Northern Ireland is tiny, It not like RTE or TG4 broadcast into Britain.

true but didnt channel 5 at one point speak about a device that would block out the irish channels from going into NI

they dont want other channels showing programmes they have the rights to no matter how many people watch them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

@Elmo "How many unionist are actually going to watch RTE or TG4. "

Where are you getting this from ?

If there is a good film on do you seriously think that anyone is going to switch it off just because it is on RTE. ?

Advertisement