Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Crashing - Please help

Options
  • 25-08-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help me out. My PC now crashes at least once a day. Usually in the morning after I log on for the first time. The message says "There was a fatal error, please tell microsoft about this problem" I am running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario. When I run my anti virus software (NOD32) I am getting the following message on each line.

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\NTUSER.DAT - error opening (File locked) [4]

Does the mean that I may have viruses but the software cant get at the files to check?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Daisy

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its normal the NTUSER.DAT isnt accessible coz afaik the os puts a lock on that file, nothing to worry about there, have you scanned for spyware along with the anti virus, might be worth running a few anti spyware scans, look HERE for guides to anti spyware scanning

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

Thanks Nick, found a lot of adwear using the link you supplied. Maybe that was the problem as it hasn't crashed since I updated it. By the way is it recommended to use more than one type of anti Virus? I have jsut been using Nod32 for the past two years. Would have thought that would have kept it clean but apparently not!

Cheers, Daisy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Great stuff :), And to answer your question definately do NOT have more than one anti virus installed, the realtime protection they have will conflict and it will become ineffective/cause system instability. You can have multiple anti malware programs though, but not anti virus ;)

Nick

Advertisement