Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with usb tv tuner. rte , tv3

Options
  • 25-08-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I had a Wintv usb tv tuner running perfect on my laptop windows vista media centre for months , i could watch,record and pause live tv (rte1&2,tv3,tg4 all with EPG)On the 31 of july rte did transmission work , since then i can only get sound no picture
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I presume you are using a DVB-T stick. Didn't the DTT trial end on that day?

That might explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

The official trial which was in MPEG2 ended on that day, but since then there are engineering trials / test which are broadcasting in MPEG4(h.264).

Windows Media Center simply cannot do DVB-T with h.264. There was rumors that an upgrade would be released to add the ability to render h.264 but it turns out you will never see it in Vista, as it has been pushed back to Windows 7, the year 2012 or so.

luckily there are third party applications which will allow you to view the new trials. But whatever software you choose you are going to need a h.264 codec installed on your system.

Cyberlink Power DVD 8 which comes with a 30 day trial has a h.264 codec. Even after the trial period, while Power DVD itself will be un-usable without paying, the codec will still be installed and usable by third party applications for free.

CoreAVC is another h.264 codec which you might want to luck at.

Once you have your codec installed, you'll need to test out a what viewing software works with your card and/or works for you.

BTW, once the codec is installed the software bundled with your TV stick should work, visit their website and download the latest version.

A few apps worth looking at
    (free)
    Media Portal
    GB-PVR
    DVBDream

(trial + pay)
    DVBViewer
    SageTv

A fairly complete list of viewing software can be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages

EDIT:
    I suppose in light of fairness I should also mention Linux based options, MythTV, erm...LinuxMCE...
    To be honest don't even bother going down the Linux road.

Advertisement