Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Short Stories

Options
  • 21-07-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have 3 short stories which I'd like to share with y'all.

Should I create a separate thread for each story, or just publish them in this thread as three separate posts?

Thanks,
    Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Hi dinevalesco,

I think it would be good to post them on this thread. Maybe 1 per day, so it bumps to the top each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Thanks Agent Weebley. Will do.

Silver & Gold, I Do Not Have - a story in six parts.

“As a messanger of our Lord, it is written in my fate that I am obligated to conclude this ceremony; to invite and welcome you into the ways of us Healers and Baptisers.”

ONE

In the few days before john the baptist’s head was savagely removed from his body, he was conducting a ceremony whereby a chosen elder from a local village would be granted, through the grace of john and his followers, the power of healing. The elder would then return to his village and tend to the sick and the dying. His name was Simon Peter.

John was conducting the ceremony in a small and dark cave high above the elder’s village below. For four days and for four nights they prayed and took oaths in candlelight and the elder listened and learned. John was a kind man but these days saw him become anxious and preoccupied. On the fifth day of the ceremony the elder awaited John’s arrival to conclude the ceremony; for today was to be the day that he would finally be anointed and join John’s kindred. He waited and waited that morning for John, until he gave up hope. Shamed, he pledged never to return to his village as a failure - as a bringer of false hope. He would not be the healer the villagers so desparately needed but an ordinary devout village elder, no holier or more powerful than any other.

So, there he stayed - crouched just outside the entrance of the cold and dark cave; his hands clasped in constant prayer; his dead hair covering his face; his dark robe covered in autumn leaves and only ever a stolen whisper of hope would come from his dry mouth and echo in his ears, “Healer John, invite me again. Invite me again. Let me come with you.”

TWO

John had gone; passed through life to meet the man he was making way for on Earth. His spoiled spirit was counselled and healed by the angels of the Lord and his faith was restored. HIs life on earth as a man was over, cut short by the greed and pride of Lords and their loves. His spirit however, still shone, and it is this spirit which we meet now, in this story; on a dark night, on a dark bank of a dark and deep lake.

The lake in question is Lake Mahib which is not far from the borders of the Holy City, Jerusalem. It was here where John had performed his first baptism shortly after being visited by God. This night the Lake was still and the only sound was that of the locusts rising and falling on the heavy air. On the north bank a shadow stirred. It appeared to be rising through the sand from the underground and being born into this still night. Its dark skin glistened beneath the moonlight and its head shook off its sleep. Standing fully upright on its four legs it walked very slowly to the edge of the lake, lowered its head, and began to drink. The creature walked once or twice around the lake, strengthening its legs, until it started off on a brisk gallop north which shook up the still bank and left a mist of dust joining the locusts floating on the heavy air.

THREE

Simon Peter woke one night to the sound of the dew dropping from the roof of the cave into a shallow pool at his feet. Lowering his head in prayer He recalled a message from John: “A time shall come when the holy waters of our Lord will come to your door”. Weary and disillusioned Simon Peter shook the thought out of his head, he had had enough of prayer and devotion - after all, his devotion to the Lord through John had been overlooked.

He gathered some wild honey and prepared a simple drink using the fresh water in the cave. He welcomed the heat the honey gave him as it moved slowly down his throat; it comforted him and he regained his composure. From the corner of his eye he saw a shadow slowly travelling through the nearby bushes. This was followed by a feeling of embodyment and immersion. He was frightened and overpowered. The shadow emerged from the bushes and stood before him as tall and strong as anything he can ever remember seeing. Simon Peter edged slowly back into the safety of the cave and peered out at the animal. He gathered some rocks from the floor in case he needed to defend himself but the Horse stood quite peaceful and unaware of Simon Peter’s anxiety. Simon Peter found his hands had naturally joined and he was whispering a prayer to God, asking for his protection and guidance. The feeling of embodyment and immersion which had earlier left him feeling scared, now compelled him to rise up and greet this animal as a symbol, as a sign, as a mark of completion and invitation.

FOUR

It was dawn in Jerusalem and Jacob was gathering the morning’s eggs from the chicken coop. He was happy with the farm he had built up as it was now beginning to provide foods and income for his family. He loved being out at this time of the morning, everything seemed so clean and fresh and there was a beautiful light coming from the sky which, for a time, had both the moon and the sun for company; the moon was full last night. Staring out over his farm, where the rising sun meets the cool land, his eye noticed a trail of dust coming swiftly towards him. He cursed as he dropped his collection of eggs in shock: “who is this riding so quickly towards my home at this hour?” He watched the horse and its rider approach from afar. By the time they reach his farm the sun had risen higher in the sky and the rest of his family had joined him by the chickens. There was something remarkable about this traveller and his magnificent horse; Jacob felt intimidated but immediately offered the rider water and some breakfast (“we have no eggs this morning sir”) and allowed his horse to canter in the fields close by.

FIVE - 10 years later

Seated at the right hand of his Father, Jesus sensed that his Rock, his Twelfth, would soon be ready. He had watched over him, guided him, and brought him now to a place where his spirit was whole, his soul was pure, his body was strong and his faith was singular in its devotion.

SIX

In ten years Simon Peter had become invaluable to the community which he served. As healer, preacher, prophet and sage, the villagers blessed his presence every day and thanked God for providing them with such a gift. Walking alone on the bank of the river, as he did most mornings, Simon Peter was remembering the first person he had healed, the mother of Jacob, the man who had welcomed him to the village all those years ago. Suffering badly from consumption, she was visited by him and almost instantly began to improve. Her family were amazed and Jacob, her son, insisted that it was a miracle - Simon Peter’s coming to his farm that morning and curing his mother’s ailment that afternoon. News of this miracle spread throughout the village and soon Simon Peter found himself in great demand. He felt God working through him; his touch was blessed, his voice was inspired and his belief and faith grew stronger.

The river was swolen this time of the year, both with water and fish. He watched the fish swimming with the current of the river and wondered how they liked their life as creatures of God, did they devote their lives to serving him or were they oblivious to his ominpotence?

Simon Peter saw his reflection move over the river, it remained in the same place while the water moved through it; he liked the idea of him touching every part of the river as it flowed down stream - it gave him a sense of unity with creation and a feeling that part of him would live forever in the river.

His musings were cut short by the sight of a cloud of red flowing down the water, crimson like a desert rose and thick like oil. Simon Peter’s heart sank and he immediately sensed something; something deep inside him - as if it was his blood he was watching flowing from his own body. He fell to his knees and crouched there, helpless. He found his hands were under the water and were covered in this warm blood. The pressure on his chest was unbearable and he began to wail there on the river bank, a wail which sent small birds flying from low lying branches.

With a great effort, he raised his head. His healing instincts alerted him to the reality of the situation and he began to search for the source of this blood. Staggering up the river bank he saw a young, dark-haired child sitting on a group of rocks next to the river. He had his hands stretched out in front of him and a stream of blood was flowing from both of his wrists. He was staring directly at Simon Peter with a soft smile on his face, all the while his blood flowed.

“Hello Simon”, the Child said.

Simon Peter gasped, the pressure on his chest intensified but he knew he had to remain concious to tend to this young child.

“Young Child, let me heal your wounds. Please young one - let me heal you.”

The Child looked at his hands and then back to Simon, “Don’t you see Simon; not even you can heal these wounds”

The Child spoke like an adult, like an elder in the village.

“I do not need your physical healing, your miracle work. I need more from you. I need the pressure on your chest to move you; to move you to heal me and yourself. I need your devotion, your faith, your guidance, your belief, your strength, your loyalty, your courage, your shame, your fear, your voice, your mind and your sense of self. I need you to join me; to join me and others. I need you to be with me when I’m weak, when i’m lost, when i can’t see the way, when all of this has gone Simon - I need you.”

What Simon was seeing was both a prophecy and a calling. This vision would return to him in his darkest hour, as he hung limp and about to take his final breath; alone and his soul completely ravaged.

Simon Peter covered his face with his bloody hands and knelt in front of the child.

“My Lord, this vision disturbs me. It moves me deep inside and, worse, I do know it will move me so again.”

“My Child Cephas* - this vision will move you yes; but remember, when I am weak, when i am lost, when i cannot see the way, when all of this has gone, Simon - I need you, I need your strength”

END

*So firm was Peter’s faith, that Jesus gave him the name of Cephas, meaning, in the Syriac language, a rock. Peter is the Greek translation of Cephas.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Wow. That was heavy, man. I don't think you're going to like my next "Mound Of Hostages" posting too much [gulp.] I'll wait a bit. . .

Feel free to post your story Weebley, would like to read it.

Here follows my second story in the next post.

• Advertisement

One Quiet Night in Babylon

And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language;
    and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
    Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth.

(Genesis 11:6-8)

He wanted to let her know. He wanted to tell her how he loved her. How he loved her like the morning sun and the evening showers. How his heart felt when she was near. How, when hearing her voice, he would try desperately to speak a single word; but never could.

You see, Arzet Kandezer was born a mute in the ancient city of Babylon, - and he was in love.

Arzet had first seen Maria at church. He had seen beautiful paintings in books, read of beautiful jewels and dreamed of beautiful places but she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Her dark brown hair, brown skin and rich blue eyes amazed him. She smiled like a gift from God and her voice was soft and quiet. In this beautiful church she was like an Angel, praying quietly. Arzet went home that day after seeing her and prayed to God; praying to be able to speak the language of his people, which to him sounded musical and elegant.

“My Lord, I thank you for what you have given me in my life. Watch over my family with your grace. I thank you for the beauty of the world and of our beautiful city. Thank you for our beautiful church and the wonderful tower which reaches close to you in the sky. I ask of you My Lord to watch over me and help me to speak when you feel it is right. I trust and believe in you and I remain yours.”

Two months had passed since that day he had first seen Maria in the church and his love for her had grown. Her beauty remained undimmed and she made Arzet feel close to God. He felt there was something special about this beautiful girl, something he had never felt before. He always smiled as she passed by, a smile which she would always pleasantly return.

It was a busy market morning in the city and Arzet was moving his way slowly through the crowds of people. He loved the vibrancy of the market; the different colours of rich fabrics, the beautiful smells of a thousand spices and the magical sound of people speaking and laughing.

He felt invisible as he walked; and then he saw her through the crowd, walking towards him. She was holding a bunch of the most dazzling flowers Arzet had ever seen - blood red petals with an orange tongue peaking through from the long green stem. He no longer felt invisible. He thought of God and quietly prayed. In this moment he felt so alive, so ready to realise his dreams. He could feel God's hands supporting him and lifting him up. Maria stopped in front of Arzet and spoke softly to him.

“You seem a little lost”, she said
    Arzet tried to reply but said nothing, he wanted to speak but he couldn't form the words. He shouted out loud within himself while smiling meekishly back at her.

What Maria said next lived in Arzet's memory until he passed quietly into the hands of his maker and could remember no more.

“I know you cannot speak - do not be ashamed. My parents have told me that you are a hard worker and very good to your family. They see you at church, praying quietly. I hear them say what a brave young man you are. I do not need to hear you say anything to convince me of your virtue; I have fallen in love with you Arzet, as you are. When I first saw you my heart recognised you as a lost friend found, a life partner, a soul mate. Do not curse your silence Arzet, God has reason for everything.”

Arzet was close to tears and, not knowing how to respond, pointed at the flowers and smiled a wide smile.

“Ah, you like these flowers - they are my favourite ... here ...”

Smiling at Arzet she picked one of the stems and handed it to him. He held it in his shaking hand and looked at it in wonder. He closed his eyes and smelled its fragrant petals. He felt overwhelmed. He bowed his head slightly and smiled. Arzet felt as close to God as he had ever felt.

“I do hope to see you around town again”, she said as she waved goodbye to Arzet and disappeared into the busy crowd.

Arzet watched her go and wondered how many people in babylon felt as he felt now. He walked for what seemed like hours, wandering through the rugged hills that looked down on Babylon. It had built up from such a small beginning and its people had accomplished so much. Arzet now felt that he too was beginning to live his life and beginning to achieve. He found himself sitting on a large stone at the base of the Tower of Babel. His eyes followed the tower up until it disappeared into the clouds; he wondered if he climbed it would he eventually reach God.

Sitting in the shadow of the Tower a sleep came over him like a cool wind. He felt rested and calm. Arzet dreamed of Maria and the flower she had given him. He saw her as an older lady resting in her garden with her beautiful dark hair blowing in the wind. Arzet listened. He thought he could make out words in the wind, somebody speaking to him.

“Young Arzet, I have chosen you, and now as the time. You will be the first, you will create a new language and spread my word throughout all of the earth. The time is right for you to speak and proclaim desire. This task I bestow on you young Arzet.”
    And there was no more. The wind died and Arzet awoke. The late evening sun had set and a glorious full moon now shone down from the deep black sky. He had never seen so many stars in the sky as he did that nite, it was so clear - everything seemed clearer now to Arzet. He looked at the flower Maria had given to him the previous day and smelled it once more. The message he had received in his dream was vivid in his head and he loved the sound of the voice which delivered it. Soothing and confident. Arzet felt quite emotional, sitting there at the base of the tower, staring up at the sky. God had come to him and chose him to be his voice. Arzet knelt on the dusty ground and kissed it lightly, his faith stronger now than he had ever imagined. His tears landed on the dust and were absorbed into the earth. He slept again.

The heat of the rising morning sun woke Arzet. He knew the stars, like God, were there even though he couldn't see them in the blue sky. He stood up and felt physically stronger and taller but this was not the only difference he noticed; it felt as if he was outside his own body. He began to walk closer to the tower knowing he wasn't in control of his own actions but didn't feel afraid. He touched the base of the tower with his outstretched hand and felt the giant stone beginning to warm. He looked up and started to climb. After climbing for an hour he found himself standing on a narrow ledge overlooking Babylon below. The wind was stronger up here but Arzet felt composed and safe.
    He spread his arms wide and closed his eyes. He heard God's voice again, reassuring him. It was at this moment that a number of things happened.

A heat rose from within Arzet and he opened his mouth and for the first time in his life he spoke. His speech was loud and clear and from the tower it was projected all through babylon. He was overjoyed at hearing his own voice but was confused to hear the words and the language he spoke. It was not the language of his people but a foreign language that nobody had ever heard before.

This would later be noted as the first time a new language was created and spoken; the language was modern day french and these are the words which he so eloquently spoke that day in babylon:

Maria,

Me regardes pendant quelques temps
    Regardes le nuage pendant quelques temps

Je trouve
    Quand tu me regardes, tu es loin
    Quand tu regardes la nuage, tu es près.

(later to be translated as:

Maria,

You look at me sometimes
    You look at the cloud sometimes

I find
    That when you look at me,
    you are far away
    When you look at the cloud, you are near.)

And so it was that Arzet chose Maria to be his life partner, his soul mate; and they travelled the world together, spreading God's message and creating new towns and cities, each with a new language. They both loved each other and they both loved God. They wanted for nothing and both passed quietly together into God's Kingdom one quiet night back in Babylon when their time on earth was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Perkinstock

wow, great stories guys, keep them coming :)

Advertisement