Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick roadworks on n24 road

Options
  • 27-03-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

does anyone else think the way the cones are set up are very deceiving past the bnq roundabout heading towards waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

kevinkmb36 wrote: »
    does anyone else think the way the cones are set up are very deceiving past the bnq roundabout heading towards waterford?

I dont use that section of the road much but passed twice last week and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

What do you find wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kevinkmb36

there are a few entrances and exits coming off the motorway running underneath, the traffic is running side by side against eachother, on one or two areas, there are arrows pointing one way, then the opposite way just after it...can be very deceiving i think....
    ill be surprised if there wont be a few accidents out there..

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It is a bit confusing, particularly if you come off the motorway and are heading down to the ballysimon road. Normally there would be two lanes, but the bollards only cover the section they are working on. Doesn't seperate the opposing lanes of traffic.

First morning a line of us had to shift back to "our side" as cars were coming towards us in the lane we thought was ours.:D

yeah i saw some very nervous looking drivers on it too...not really sure which lane they should be in, all it takes is one person to not get it right and "BANG"...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

this is their 3rd attempt at this, will they get it right this time, answers on the back of a stamp please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

And boy was there a serious BANG out there today at 5.45. Just past where the bolards direct the traffic going out of town over towards the right. There was a beauty. 2nd car was scrunched up like an accordian. Everyone looked to be OK, but the traffic hold up was cruel.

im not surprised to be honest...when i first saw the set up of bollards abt two weeks ago, i thought, ok, twas a rush job to get them by for a day or two....two weeks later they are the same...couldnt believe it...
    and supposably, this work will be ongoing for 6 months too....one would think that they would have a much better traffic management plan on a very busy road with junctions coming off it....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Any one know what the final layout will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There is a lot of confusion but mainly down to the "sheep effect" where drivers follow the mob in front of them.

Coming inbound to Limerick over the bridge has annoyed a lot of people because you cannot turn right onto the M7 Northbound and now you must use the roundabout. This is all good and well except during rush hour this can add 15 minutes to a journey if not more.

Also if you are coming off the M7 Southbound ramp the timing of the lights is a disaster. Currently you get 6 seconds of a green light and if, and it happens a lot, the driver in front is dozy as feck they are the only car to get through sometimes.

Heading outbound on the N24 is curious also because of the sheep effect. I noticed 3 cars ahead taking the Dublin turn with nobody ahead of them waiting at the lights. Two cars were behind them(in front of me) whom followed(like sheep) the leading cars and quickly realised they were doomed to enter the motorway when, you could see by their reaction, this was not the road they wanted.

Final layout - I haven't seen the plan but it will be, now that they have widened the bridge, two lanes outbound and two lanes inbound and still keeping the two turning lanes. (So it would appear from watching them).

I use this road 2-4 times a day and thought the disruption would be much much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

likewise coming off at exit 29 northbound is crazy. Traffic is backing up along the hard shoulder. Those not in the know fly past at 120km and suddenly start to break to try and get into the queue. I wrote to the midwest design office today voicing my concerns.

Details of works from the Limerick CC website:
    http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/Traffic_Travel/RoadWorks/RDWORKS+_M7N24.htm

Limerick County Council wishes to advise road users of road works at the M7/ N24 Ballysimon Interchange from Monday, 27th February, 2012 for a period of six months between 8.00am and 6.00pm.
    The M7/N24 Ballysimon Junction Improvement Scheme comprises an upgrade of the existing grade-separated junction to increase capacity and reduce delays. The scope of works includes, but is not limited to relining of approximately 2km of the existing N24 and R527 pavement width to provide four lanes & a turning lane at the centre of the bridge, widening of the northbound M7 off-ramp to facilitate the provision of a free-flow slip lane, an at-grade roundabout at the junction of the N24 and the L-1171 Old Ballysimon Road and various other minor ancillary works associated with the afore mentioned.
    During the course of the road works it may be necessary to operate a Stop and Go system.
    Limerick County Council regrets any inconvenience caused to road users during the course of these works.
    All queries/ complaints in relation to these road works should be directed to the Mid West Road Design Office who can be contacted on 061-496800 or info@midwestroads.ie

• Advertisement

im sure when its all finished, it will work really well...but over the next 6 few months or so, hope they can come up with a better plan to keep vehicle users safe and make it easier to know which lane we should be in etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a new roundabout going on the N24 just where you turn off to take the old Ballysimon Road towards Morrison's Pub. They are also building a new Northbound slip road from the M7 towards B&Q so that it is a free flow merging lane afaik. (I'd like to see that work in practice.)

Probably redesigned by the same muppets who poorly designed it from Day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

rockwell wrote: »
    likewise coming off at exit 29 northbound is crazy. Traffic is backing up along the hard shoulder. Those not in the know fly past at 120km and suddenly start to break to try and get into the queue. I wrote to the midwest design office today voicing my concerns.

This is a major safety issue, something I saw last week, queues of traffic on the left lane of the motorway and no advance warning. Anywhere else in Europe where I've driven would have advance notice of possible queues ahead at peak times.

The morning I used the motorway I saw a truck trying to get into the overtaking lane from a stop position on the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

As you say this is their third attempt at getting this right, how much has is cost, add that to the nenagh bypass being redone within 10 years of the first attempt and I think you'd get a substantial figure.
    So...... ammm funny question ........... whos responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Like our politicians, it appears nobody is accountable for any of these messes, the same incompetant people keep their jobs or are just moved around to other departments. Welcome to our public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Beer Baron wrote: »
    There is a lot of confusion but mainly down to the "sheep effect" where drivers follow the mob in front of them.

100% correct, one of the main problems on the roads in this country is a serious lack of observation from drivers. It's the cause of a lot of the terrible driving we see in this country, From people cutting across lanes to get to exits at the last minute, to people slamming on the breaks on roundabouts to make exits (one of my personal favourites, just go around again idiot!!!!!). Drivers in Ireland do not read signs, they presume they know where they are going, and when they realise they don't they make crazy attempts to get on the right road.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Like our politicians, it appears nobody is accountable for any of these messes, the same incompetant people keep their jobs or are just moved around to other departments. Welcome to our public service.

The main issue, is it was probably organised in a fashion that nobody could be held accountable. For example, the original plans were made for certain expected traffic figures. The traffic figures were far above those predicted so adjustments were made to deal with the higher estimated figures. This then had a knock on effect further down the N24, causing another rethink, which is where we are now.

So basically, the claim of unexpected traffic figures, can be trotted out and it's a coverall excuse for messing up the junction.

Advertisement