Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non shed Dogs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

The obvious choice for a non-shed medium dog would be a standard poodle. In my experience they're very smart, loyal, and just fun! Negatives would be that they're VERY high energy (could be good for some people), and definitely a bit snappy. I have one who's an extremely dominant dog, he bosses around an alsation and a staffy bull... and he also takes his 'watchdog' duties very seriously.. any strange noises in the night or people walkin past the house and he'll let you know all about it... He can also lose the run of himself with kids/strangers and be very boisterous... and they can really jump when they want..

So actually, I think standard poodles require very experienced dog owners...

And OP, don't be so defensive, you're not living up to your name at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

sassychick wrote: »
    Hi would you consider a boxer ??They dont shed alot and make great family pets...absolutly brilliant with kids...and adorable:D:D:D

Thanks but i sort of have my mind made up now

Kev M wrote: »
    The obvious choice for a non-shed medium dog would be a standard poodle. In my experience they're very smart, loyal, and just fun! Negatives would be that they're VERY high energy (could be good for some people), and definitely a bit snappy. I have one who's an extremely dominant dog, he bosses around an alsation and a staffy bull... and he also takes his 'watchdog' duties very seriously.. any strange noises in the night or people walkin past the house and he'll let you know all about it... He can also lose the run of himself with kids/strangers and be very boisterous... and they can really jump when they want..

So actually, I think standard poodles require very experienced dog owners...

And OP, don't be so defensive, you're not living up to your name at all ;)

i won't be getting a poodle
    I have a beautiful well behaved dog already

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

+1
    The obvious choice for a non-shed medium dog would be a standard poodle. In my experience they're very smart, loyal, and just fun!
    and definitely a bit snappy.

No def not snappy. I have a 2 year old standard poodle who I bring into an Irish playschool for the kids to rub her an have some fun. Fantastic family dog. I have 3 yorkies too and its the tall poodle my 2 year old niece loves. I'm also a dog groomer and can confirm the poodle is completely non shed. the shedding happens when you brush which is why from a grooming point of view poodles are really high maintainance. as for poodle crosses, I groomed a golden doodle the other day an i can confirm this dog did shed, altho very minimal but shedding all the same. I think ppl have really got the wrong impression of poodles thinkin they are some kind of fluffy up their own ass dog but that couldnt be further from the truth. they are hunting dogs an have an amazing spoting ability. great swimmers, fantastic at agility. as far as i can see the only negative is the grooming as it can be costly but not if u decide to keep a poodle in the sporting clip. very economical.

+1
    The obvious choice for a non-shed medium dog would be a standard poodle. In my experience they're very smart, loyal, and just fun!

No def not snappy. I have a 2 year old standard poodle who I bring into an Irish playschool for the kids to rub her an have some fun. Fantastic family dog. I have 3 yorkies too and its the tall poodle my 2 year old niece loves. I'm also a dog groomer and can confirm the poodle is completely non shed. the shedding happens when you brush which is why from a grooming point of view poodles are really high maintainance. as for poodle crosses, I groomed a golden doodle the other day an i can confirm this dog did shed, altho very minimal but shedding all the same. I think ppl have really got the wrong impression of poodles thinkin they are some kind of fluffy up their own ass dog but that couldnt be further from the truth. they are hunting dogs an have an amazing spoting ability. great swimmers, fantastic at agility. as far as i can see the only negative is the grooming as it can be costly but not if u decide to keep a poodle in the sporting clip. very economical.

i respect your obvious experience and opinion but some people just don't like them. i'm one of those people.
    Some people may disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Oh I get that you dont like them. It's so hilarious how many people say that and then meet one and it changes their opinion. are you any closer to finding your perfect dog?

+1

That's fair enough, it's good to hear positive things about the breed, I never like to generalise about a breed because they're all kinda individuals anyway, which is why I specified I was talking about my dog.

amiable wrote: »
    i won't be getting a poodle
    I have a beautiful well behaved dog already

Good for you...

Oh I get that you dont like them. It's so hilarious how many people say that and then meet one and it changes their opinion. are you any closer to finding your perfect dog?

I have a friend with 2 of them so i know what his are like.
    Yeah i have something in mind now
    Irish soft coated wheaten terrier.
    Hopefully it will get on with my 2 year old heinz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

reading this thread has made me want to know about the Irish Water Spaniel, they look fabulous. Do they need working or is recreational water sport enough for them and are they really low shed or is that they have hair like a poodle rather than fur?
    thanks to poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

reading this thread has made me want to know about the Irish Water Spaniel, they look fabulous. Do they need working or is recreational water sport enough for them and are they really low shed or is that they have hair like a poodle rather than fur?
    thanks to poster.
    They're an 200 yr old poodle cross, and they're non-shed, as far as I know. The guy I knew who bred them had them just for showing, but he sold pups to pet households and to homes where they'd be used as working dogs. He said that they're great with kids when they're reared with them, have a high pain tolerance, but that they do need a fair bit of exercise. I'm sure that a couple of good long walks a day with some games thrown in would do them grand, and I bet they'd love agility or flyball. The coat would need to be clipped, and it's so soft that you'd hardly know you were touching it (I'd very happily wear an IWS hair jumper).

I desperately want one, I just haven't got the room at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

amiable wrote: »
    Thanks but i sort of have my mind made up now[/QUOTE
    so op are you going with the wheaten terrier, i hope so they're amazing dogs. if you have any queries, let me now.
    i got my guy from done deal a year ago from a great breeder in sligo. best place to check.
    dont forget when looking at the pics there are different coat types, we obviously get the irish coat over here (which is the nicest and fells like silk). i can post some pic of my guy if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hey
    Our Jackapoo is non shed, due to his poodle dad.
    They're medium sized and very happy, friendly dogs.
    Pics00002.jpg

Pics00003.jpg

HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Cute dog but theres no such thing as a Jackapoo, its a poodle or jack russell cross.

Oh I know that.
    Its just a made up name we have for him..........
    But ok
    Our Jack Russell/Miniature Poodle cross is non-shed.
    Bloody Breed Nazis ;);)

HB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JaneyJ

He's very cute - looks a bit like our cairn cross

People always assume he is part cairn :)

HB

Advertisement