Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best language to do Auctioneer System in?

Options
  • 21-07-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I've being asked by an auctioneer if I could develop a offline auctioneer system for him. (Ie display all properties, if sold etc).

I've web programming experience, lots of C and C++ but not GUI stuff.

Would JAVA be my best bet, of VB.NET?

I need something that is easy and fast as I don't really want to spend much time on this.

As for a database backend, any suggestions there?

Thanks guys and gurls :)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Choose from PHP, ASP, ASP.net, JSP/servlets (java), Perl, etc. for the front end. As you have the C experience maybe go with PHP (choice #1) or Java (choice #2) but java will prove more limiting in terms of choosing hosting plans.
    As for databases: MySQL (free with most hosts), MSSQL (not free & on windows hosting plans only).

Simple answer PHP & MySQL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

if is for off-line you probably need a windows application using Visual Basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

kbannon wrote:
    Choose from PHP, ASP, ASP.net, JSP/servlets (java), Perl, etc. for the front end. As you have the C experience maybe go with PHP (choice #1) or Java (choice #2) but java will prove more limiting in terms of choosing hosting plans.
    As for databases: MySQL (free with most hosts), MSSQL (not free & on windows hosting plans only).

Simple answer PHP & MySQL!
    Thanks for that Kbannon but i prob should have made it more clear that its offline!

Visual Basic prob easiest and fastest so ye think? - What database should I use?

Thanks once again.

Donal

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

What is the aim of this system? Property Management, brochure printing, running a website, matching clients to properties, etc.? I don't get the "Ie display all properties, if sold etc" part exactly... can you elaborate? Display properties where? I know this market fairly well and have built applications in ASP with MSSQL databases for lots of Auctioneering clients. If I can point you in the right direction, I will... I just need a little bit more info on what you are trying to do!

Have you looked at off the shelf software yet or does this need to be custom built and if so, why?

Oh, Louie, you funkymotors ad has a typo, I think. Should it not be "until it's sold"?

Rgds,

Dave

Hi DJB.

To be honest I don't even know exactly what he wants myself yet. Must meet up with him soon. He was complaining that if someone phones him up, he has to go rooting through paper to find details on property, what is available etc. He was asking me for a solution to this. That is about all I know at the moment.

I wouldn't mind doing custom build as I want to gain a bit of experience with desktop applications, instead of web based.

Maybe I should have asked this question later when I had more details.

Sorry bout that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Visual basic can be used with MS Access or SQL2005 databases.
    Very easy to setup, lots of planing in advance, debuging and in no-time you should have it done.

Think of it as tabular data with edit/update/insert facility, etc.

I just did something similar but web-based.
    Now i am planing on a desktop version but due to data being stored in mysql db i need to work with xml or csv import to populate the local db.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Webmonkey wrote:
    To be honest I don't even know exactly what he wants myself yet.
    Requirements first, decisions later.

Yep cool. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Webmonkey wrote:
    lots of C and C++ but not GUI stuff.

Well if it turns out that the guy just wants some form of client/server Windows app, and with your C and C++, the free version of Turbo C++ might be an idea.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Java, JDBC to deal with the database - sounds small so MySQL or Postgresql will do easily enough. Seems he just want to store every piece of data he has on a database and have a GUI provide easy access. You can have most functionality implemented in a week or so easily if you have ever used Java.

• Advertisement

That turboc++ stuff looks interesting. I'll give a look at that soon now. Cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

If twas me I'd go with an offline version of an online web app. Standard PHP/MySQL affair. Make on PC the "server" and have it browsable across the network in the office.

Keep in mind: if he ever down the line wanted to put property details up onto the web, the potential would be there to rejig/reuse the offline app and put it online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If it's just for one guy. I'd presume he has 20 - 100 houses in his list. What about a spreadsheet? You don't need custom apps for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

If it's just for one guy. I'd presume he has 20 - 100 houses in his list. What about a spreadsheet? You don't need custom apps for everything.

Exactly my thoughts - if its just an offline application for one user - then something like Microsoft Access would do the job. Its not very exciting but if you wanted something quick and easy. Even for a pilot.

Besides that i would vote for Java - if you know c/c++ then it is easy to pick up.
    Use an Apache Server to host it locally and Microsoft SQL Server for the DB.

Advantage is its all free and lots of sample/help on the web on this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If twas me I'd go with an offline version of an online web app. Standard PHP/MySQL affair. Make on PC the "server" and have it browsable across the network in the office.
    This would be my opinion too.

There's a time and place for windowed applications, but I would always consider a browser-based interface first, and only a standalone application when you have more complex requirements, or need to use it off the network.

From a personal point of view, a web app is easier to maintain (though that may be just my experience). From a logistical point of view, a web application is more portable and compatible.

If the guy wants a new person to use the app - just send on the link. A standalone would need to have it installed, libraries and all.
    If the server dies or it needs to be moved onto a different server - just move the files/DB, update the config files and send on the new link. A standalone app would need everyone's config files changed and troubleshooted, etc.

Also a good point hat GS made - if he wants to go web with it in the future, you have a framework. Even if he just wants workers to be able to update it from home, that framework is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

plus theres a WORLD of readymade property-style applications ready to run out of the php/mysql box

google open-realty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Here's the answer,

I use this system in my office, its designed for auctioneers, estate agents and it includes a offline business system which track all details and pictures of every property, designs a multiple of brochures, window cards, flyers ets... nearly everything you need.

The with one click of a button it creates all your web pages and has a web publisher included which uploads to my website. All job done in one easy to use system.

Its available on a free 30 day download and its made by an Irish company with a forum for support. I was quoted a couple of thosand euro for a system a few years ago but I bought this one off the shelf for only €299.

I'd recomend you take a look at it and maybe tailor it to your clients website they offer designer deals i think or they use to anyway

address www.jadetools.com and you can ask questions on there forum or pm me if you need more info

Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Folks,

Can you keep all responses in thread please? While I can't stop you using the private message system it clearly states in the forum charter that you are not to ask for pm's, BingoBongo, and I will start banning people if they continue to do so.

E.P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Webmonkey wrote:
    Hi DJB.

To be honest I don't even know exactly what he wants myself yet. Must meet up with him soon. He was complaining that if someone phones him up, he has to go rooting through paper to find details on property, what is available etc. He was asking me for a solution to this. That is about all I know at the moment.

I wouldn't mind doing custom build as I want to gain a bit of experience with desktop applications, instead of web based.

Maybe I should have asked this question later when I had more details.

Sorry bout that :)

Unless he can't get broadband in, then there's still no reason why it can't be a web-app, especially as it can double up as a sales channel.

Still, for something cheap and cheerful, I'm sure someone familiar with access could lash something usable pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

For the size of the app you're talking about, SQL Server Express might be a good choice for the DB. It's free, and there's a management studio available for it too.

Since you already know C/C++ I'd recommend writing it in C#. If you want to stick with a straightforward desktop app, you can download Visual Studio Express for free and that will easily do everything you need, or if you want to go the 'web app with his PC as the server' route there's Visual Web Developer, again free, for creating ASP.Net apps.

Both will let you quickly create a quick and simple GUI and tie in easily to a SQL Server express database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

There are plenty of these apps on the market.. BrokerCRM is one I know offhand..

Developing this type of system is quite complex. If its completely bespoke then make sure you nail down all the requirements because otherwise it could be a nightmare.

My main idea would be be a web front-end for display etc, a possible windows front end to deal with letters, mailings all sitting on a SQL 2005 express backend.

The web portal would be the quickest way to get data in and search but more complex tasks such as mailmerge, brochures etc should be done from a windows frontend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Webmonkey wrote:
    Hi There,

I've being asked by an auctioneer if I could develop a offline auctioneer system for him. (Ie display all properties, if sold etc).

I've web programming experience, lots of C and C++ but not GUI stuff.

Would JAVA be my best bet, of VB.NET?

I need something that is easy and fast as I don't really want to spend much time on this.

As for a database backend, any suggestions there?

Thanks guys and gurls :)

I have designed this complete system before in PERL plus they can store bids, bidders' details etc. It can easily be put off line too. PM me if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Evil Phil is gonna get mad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just another idea to throw into the pot. if you're unsure which way this is going to lean, or if the guy in question thinks he may want offline at first maybe with both offline/online functionality later you might look at a Web-Services & .Net remoting/Java RMI

Web-service with all of the business logic and connected to database at the backend. Plug in a light-weight desktop app or front end web-UI, makes no odds which it is once you Remote to the web-service. You could spit back XML from the web-service methods so it doesn't matter what device is receiving it, XML is XML and it's up to the device/application how it wants to interpret it.

Sounds complex. It's not (well, .Net remoting isn't anyway .. I always found Java RMI to be taxing by comparison). Most of the work on whatever front end application you have will be in UI layout and displaying whatever info is being returned from the webservice.

Although ....

I was about to mention PHP being handy enough too, and the thought just crossed my mind regarding databases. Setting up and maintaining a DB can be a pain in the arse and/or expensive depending on what you're using, and how demanding a database requirement is this guy going to have? If he's going to have fairly low requirements, you could consider creating an app (I'll say desktop here because that's the line I'm taking but it can be applied to web-apps too) that reads and writes to an XML file that you just read into a dataset in the application and manipulate the data there. I did something like this for the boards.ie archive reader since it's a desktop app for users who want to read their pm archives offline.

Just had a word with him there and it doesn't seem THAT bad.

Basically he wants to add property details (not much - it just for his own use) and then assign people to it. So for example if someone phones up asking for details on the property he wants to be able to add their details to that property so he can phone them back in the future.

Doesn't sound too bad. Might add extra features like send an email automatically through the application (shouldn't be too bad as he uses a pop account?)

Got CBT Nuggets on Visual Studio.NET and it looks piss easy to be honest, id say it wouldn't take more than a few days. I downloaded the VB 2008 Beta Express edition and its got all the cool new XP styled controls so makes the app look modern!

Thinking of just connecting to SQL Express for the data. Problem with this though is if he moves computer, the server must come with him. Is it easy to use MS access - doubt much information will be in the Application really.

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭clearz

I have done a very similar app for an auctioneer before and went with a Java based System over a MySQL database. If I where to do it again I would go with ASP.NET/C# with a SQL Server 2005 express DB all free also and run it on a selected machine under IIS so its accessable over an Inranet. But use whatever technology you are most comfortable with yourself. After all you will be the one creating it and to the end user its all the same anyway.
    Another piece of advice is to stay away from Access no matter how simple you think the DB will be. You'll thank yourself later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Evil Phil is gonna get mad :D

Indeed I am, Gareth37 banned for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

You go phil:)

Advertisement