Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Review

Options
  • 08-04-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi guys looking for a review of ease of use for a customer I am working with. The layout should work well on all platforms however I am unsure if the site is being penalized with google for the name "Private Jet Charter" when the back links and link juice is "Private jet charter" also - any views I would love to hear from you as always.

Site url is http://www.privatejetcharter.ae

Comments good and bad are always welcome.
    Thanks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cathal Healy

Looks professional and high quality. Perhaps make the website name more prominent but at a quick glance nothing stands out as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

Cheers cathal, will work on that. Any idea about the link juice?

I'm afraid not. Just a novice with SEO at the moment.

no stress some really good tools out there - check out open site explorer to check out what the competition is doing and ahrefs site too. This will give you some info on the "base links" you could potentially get backlinks from. After that and going forward its about quality content and quality links from ranked sites in your marketplace. Im still at a loss about the title vs service "link juice" issue though. I don't know if google/bing like that the service name is the company name or how to check if they dont.

Thanks for your input
    B

swordsinfo wrote: »
    no stress some really good tools out there - check out open site explorer to check out what the competition is doing and ahrefs site too. This will give you some info on the "base links" you could potentially get backlinks from. After that and going forward its about quality content and quality links from ranked sites in your marketplace. Im still at a loss about the title vs service "link juice" issue though. I don't know if google/bing like that the service name is the company name or how to check if they dont.

Thanks for your input
    B

Yeah from my reading of link juice (which I had never heard of before :P) it seems to be about link authority. I don't know or understand how your site title/company name would be effecting that but like I said I'm no expert on this at all.

• Advertisement

I got a post back of the irish webmaster forum and mentions EMD or exact matching domains - seemingly you can be punished for url, title and meta all containing the same keyword - I presume its down to keyword stuffing too and over usage of search terms on a given site. Im trying to improve the content on each page as I go and hopefully the external work on blogs will play their part

• Registered Users Posts: 8 louiseak

Site looks great. When you have worked on the SEO side of things don't forget about conversion optimization. So many business owners and marketing directors focus on driving traffic to their site without paying as much attention to the number one goal...optimizing their conversions. For instance, while your slider looks well on the site they are also known to effect SEO and usability and therefore conversions. Of course, this isn't the case for every website, but for the majority it is known to be true. A simple A/B test will tell you the truth. I cant post the link with the research as to why sliders are bad for conversions/seo but just google homepage sliders are bad for seo usability and an article by search engine land should appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

seemingly you can be punished for url, title and meta all containing the same keyword

Never ever heard that before, generally speaking you should have the ranking keywords in all of the above if at all possible, however it should be structured properly into real sentences and try to get a keyword ratio that is a tad lower than the nearest competition (unless they have none, at which stage, just aim to make sense).

I'd be more concerned about
    - volume and diversity of site content.
    - back link keyword diversity e.g. related search terms rather than exact match.
    - getting non-paid high PR links via individual articles on credible blogs and news sources.

I'd also be worried with the amount of site wide links and obvious paid links which are currently do-follow, at this stage google seems to be needing 2x decent no-follow links for every decent do-follow.

Social media sharing can also playing a big part these days, but not simply sharing a site on your Facebook timeline - its got to be shared, shared and shared again among many.

Bascially take a long hard look at how your site ranks vs the competition, how is their traffic driven, do they have more content, more links, more diversity etc...

Then consider if you were google, why would they rank your site higher than the competition, bearing in mind Google is only concerned with diverse & unique content that it can read when it comes to onsite seo.

Just based on what I looked at, there is very little actual content on your site, maybe 200-300 words different on each page, while the rest of the page is technically duplicate content (appears on every page of the site).

Check the sites ranking In the target geographic location - Google has become very geo focused in recent times and you may not be getting the results you think you are based on a global search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

swordsinfo wrote: »
    seemingly you can be punished for url, title and meta all containing the same keyword

Doubt very much that's true

was.deevey wrote: »
    Never ever heard that before, generally speaking you should have the ranking keywords in all of the above if at all possible, however it should be structured properly into real sentences and try to get a keyword ratio that is a tad lower than the nearest competition (unless they have none, at which stage, just aim to make sense).

I'd be more concerned about
    - volume and diversity of site content.
    - back link keyword diversity e.g. related search terms rather than exact match.
    - getting non-paid high PR links via individual articles on credible blogs and news sources.

I'd also be worried with the amount of site wide links and obvious paid links which are currently do-follow, at this stage google seems to be needing 2x decent no-follow links for every decent do-follow.

Social media sharing can also playing a big part these days, but not simply sharing a site on your Facebook timeline - its got to be shared, shared and shared again among many.

Bascially take a long hard look at how your site ranks vs the competition, how is their traffic driven, do they have more content, more links, more diversity etc...

Then consider if you were google, why would they rank your site higher than the competition, bearing in mind Google is only concerned with diverse & unique content that it can read when it comes to onsite seo.

Just based on what I looked at, there is very little actual content on your site, maybe 200-300 words different on each page, while the rest of the page is technically duplicate content (appears on every page of the site).

Check the sites ranking In the target geographic location - Google has become very geo focused in recent times and you may not be getting the results you think you are based on a global search.

I could be wrong but have read up on things on keyword stuffing band keyword density.can you explain tad lower keyword density? What is the best way to achieve diverse keyword s. Most links back come from directory listings and some news articles. I was thinking using press release service s. Obviously high or sites would be good but can be very difficult to achieve.

needing 2x decent no-follow links for every decent do-follow.' Is that Google actually wants to find no follow links on your site. I don't really understand why you would have these within the internal links of our site.

Social media is currently not controled by me but I do not think they have enough social content. I'm not sure how social you can be for aviation but to be fair guys are now beginning to post on the site about related items. The content was not great from old site so we didn't bring it over. It narrowed the potential returns but new quality post are now avail in duel language s with some luck this will help the site ranking.

Geo wise we are really trying with rich code snippets and consistent structure to address on all platforms. Seemingly this helps. As for the content I'm trying to improve each page. How many words would you recommend. I was working towards 300. This is a work in progress as there are quite a lot of page s. What would you recommend I am going the road of keyword in title decent description. Localized meta and category meta and ensuring the keyword is included in the first abd last paragraph of page. The aircraft pages are difficult to populate as there is a limited amount I can add. I'll have a look at comp but I don't think they have much more. I'm tryin g to max localized seo currently and may start a tread on this separate ly

Really appreciate the feedback. Has me looking at the site with fresh perspective again. As always thank you for taking time to replyto my questions.

• Advertisement

Obviously high or sites would be good but can be very difficult to achieve.

Its not an easy game - high PR back links for your industry could come the likes of online travel magazines, review services etc ...
    needing 2x decent no-follow links for every decent do-follow.' Is that Google actually wants to find no follow links on your site. I don't really understand why you would have these within the internal links of our site.

Basically don't make it look like you are artificially creating back links - fastest way to get penalized. I've beedn

Be careful with press release services and spun articles - googles algorithm is evolving far faster than content spinners.

Rich code is only one way to help with local rankings and is only a tiny bearing on the local rank.

Localized news stories, local language back links, and links from locally related services e.g. hotels, chauffeur services, etc - however these should not be reciprocal.

no-follow back links should come from the likes of paid advertising, website comments etc.. (check out their link policy first or you run the risk of thousands of do-follow back links from the same site!).
    I'm not sure how social you can be for aviation

Again - the likes of Facebook travel pages, special offers, coupon sites e.g. groupon, reviews and ratings sites. There is a ton of ways to make a site social.

Above all ensure that every back link you create has a means to take them down if the need be !!!!

Its not an easy game - high PR back links for your industry could come the likes of online travel magazines, review services etc ...

Basically don't make it look like you are artificially creating back links - fastest way to get penalized. I've beedn

Be careful with press release services and spun articles - googles algorithm is evolving far faster than content spinners.

Rich code is only one way to help with local rankings and is only a tiny bearing on the local rank.

Localized news stories, local language back links, and links from locally related services e.g. hotels, chauffeur services, etc - however these should not be reciprocal.

no-follow back links should come from the likes of paid advertising, website comments etc.. (check out their link policy first or you run the risk of thousands of do-follow back links from the same site!).

Again - the likes of Facebook travel pages, special offers, coupon sites e.g. groupon, reviews and ratings sites. There is a ton of ways to make a site social.

Above all ensure that every back link you create has a means to take them down if the need be !!!!

Will take all on board thanks. Still can't get head around
    "no-follow back links should come from the likes of paid advertising" why would you pay to advertise to tell Google to back off? Have been trying to maximize local seo and have local links from some partners and Google maps (even with no way to deliver code) I'll research more for even just this section of seo today.

"no-follow back links should come from the likes of paid advertising"

Not Quite - any paid advertising or paid back links on high end sites should not contain do-follow links, not that all your no-follows need to come from paid advertising, they can come from anywhere.

Any legitimate high PR do-follow back links should be organic, or at least look organic e.g. travel blogs.

Any authentically written quality new stories about your business on other sites e.g. this one can contain do-follow links so long as it doesn't appear that these are paid for links or press releases. Ideally the anchor text on these links should vary.

Other sources e.g. Social media comments etc can be a mix of both, but should not be simply spammy comments, forum signatures or only targeting high PR sites as link sources.

As I said before, ensure that any back links you create can be undone - its too easy to fall into the trap of hiring "seo" people in fiver and then 6 months later find its impossible to remove bad links.

BTW out of curiosity I ran a site scan, and you only have about 100 live do-follow individual domains linking to your site currently. However a huge number appear to be site wide (same links appear on hundreds of their pages), and the majority are not related to your industry whatsoever and there appears to be zero diversification of the link anchor text.

Note: live links - as my scan initially showed thousands until I checked to see if the link or webpage reported was still active.

Of these 3 of them are site wide and should definitely be no-follow anyhow as they are obviously sister sites e.g. privatejetcharter.es, it, and de which all have a PR of 4 which could be seen by google as artificially trying to boost your rank.

Not Quite - any paid advertising or paid back links on high end sites should not contain do-follow links, not that all your no-follows need to come from paid advertising, they can come from anywhere.

Any legitimate high PR do-follow back links should be organic, or at least look organic e.g. travel blogs.

Any authentically written quality new stories about your business on other sites e.g. this one can contain do-follow links so long as it doesn't appear that these are paid for links or press releases. Ideally the anchor text on these links should vary.

Other sources e.g. Social media comments etc can be a mix of both, but should not be simply spammy comments, forum signatures or only targeting high PR sites as link sources.

As I said before, ensure that any back links you create can be undone - its too easy to fall into the trap of hiring "seo" people in fiver and then 6 months later find its impossible to remove bad links.

BTW out of curiosity I ran a site scan, and you only have about 100 live do-follow individual domains linking to your site currently. However a huge number appear to be site wide (same links appear on hundreds of their pages), and the majority are not related to your industry whatsoever and there appears to be zero diversification of the link anchor text.

Note: live links - as my scan initially showed thousands until I checked to see if the link or webpage reported was still active.

Of these 3 of them are site wide and should definitely be no-follow anyhow as they are obviously sister sites e.g. privatejetcharter.es, it, and de which all have a PR of 4 which could be seen by google as artificially trying to boost your rank.

So with paid adverts it should always be no follow as it "paid traffic". Does it harm if it is dofollow getting double benefits so to speak.

Yes their previous seo was done by another company and most seo work so far has been to clean up the bad policy s appled by previous group. We have put in a disavow with Google but this can take months or not happen at all.

With regards to the es and other sites owned by company surely you should be passing link juice to your own sites. Most are links in the header hence why they are the same link. How could this be a bad thing? Or more importantly what would you recommend.

I have been doing some check s since you first replied and have been applying them to the site.

Does it harm if it is dofollow getting double benefits so to speak.

Yes, its against googles T&C and you can be penalized for influencing page rank.
    surely you should be passing link juice to your own sites

Nope, Google does not want YOU to pass any pagerank whatsoever, links should be natural and back links not selected due to their rank but created organically, shared organically, and linked organically, thats the point.

Each sister site is treated as individual entity and they can be penalized as a link scheme (all sites involved) - these should all be no-follow.

Do-follow sitewide links raise red-flags at the best of times and even no-follow sitewide links should IMHO never be used unless you actually gain quality paying customers from them.

With the obvious exceptions of your sister sites back links and links from some obvious SEO sites its not actually looking in bad shape for a new beginning - assuming there is no manual penalty in place.

Considering your current low volume of back links it should be easy enough to dilute the relatively small pool so to speak with higher quality ones e.g. for every bad link you cannot get rid of, create 10 good quality ones with diverse anchors - however I would recommend no-following the sister sites ASAP.

You can also submit pings to search engines for all sites you have already removed links from to force re-indexing of the original backlink page content via sites like pingmyurl.com. This can get old links removed from your linked sites in GWT faster.

So basically every page you have a link removed from - submit a ping

Ok Ill speak to the guys - there must be some window between the sites that we should be employing do follow links as they are in the same market and have confidence in the external link speaking about the same topic? Seems madness to drop all follows from the sister company and not pass any juice back !!

Currently im trying to work on some quality back links to the site through the new blog platform for the site and some recommended directory listings. Is there a "efficient way of dilution of these bad domains - currently I think its at either 109 or 190 in total (not all bad mostly spamming comments and webmasters have zero interest in getting back)

as mentioned its difficult to get these pages to remove this content have used a tool ahrefs but to no real success - any recommnedations about quality backlinks??

as mentioned its difficult to get these pages to remove this content have used a tool ahrefs but to no real success - any recommnedations about quality backlinks??
    • Webmaster Tools + Ahrefs + something like SEO Powersuite to check whats live.
    • Then alot of elbow grease and strongly worded emails to the wesbsites - if there are no contact details, you will need to send to the registrar email - you will need to decide what is spammy by clicking into each site individually. Even by looking at page titles you will see the majority of sites.
    • Then 2 weeks waiting
    • Then resend the emails
    • Then wait 2 weeks
    • Then Disavow

IMHO though, if you are in fact penalized, with a manual or algorithmic penalty, my gut feeling says its those high PR site wide sister sites causing you the problem moreso than the other individual spammy links with no value.

I was looking at matt cutts video and it came access that cross linkage of multiple domain names is neither good nor bad? It does say it recommends having one page that provides the link across so I will setup this this eve. I have updated our own site either way and have asked the guys to do the same. Next task is to improve PR rank currently at 3. I think its just short of moving up through to the next rank. Any tips on this. I have asked the aviation guys to start to produce more relevant content on the site but is there any recommenced tasks I should complete also?

Cheers again for your input hopefully see some good returns on this - if it does produce returns would you be interested in some seo on their other sites??

Advertisement