Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lisbeth Salander

I will be asking where they stand on evictions, why the sheriff is acting against his powers, why the courts are handing down these orders to the sheriff when they have no powers to act in repossession of a family home?

I will be asking what their view on Internships are, if they are in favor of them or if they think that they are just decreasing any possibility of a real job being created.

If they genuinely think that people can afford the new water charge or if they are really that out of touch with people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I will be asking where they stand on evictions, why the sheriff is acting against his powers, why the courts are handing down these orders to the sheriff when they have no powers to act in repossession of a family home?

I will be asking what their view on Internships are, if they are in favor of them or if they think that they are just decreasing any possibility of a real job being created.

If they genuinely think that people can afford the new water charge or if they are really that out of touch with people.

As local representatives they will have no impact on any of the above, I would imagine that if any politician was asked those types of questions they would gauge by the person asking them the way they wanted them to be answered and answer that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭golfball37

Clareman wrote: »
    As local representatives they will have no impact on any of the above, I would imagine that if any politician was asked those types of questions they would gauge by the person asking them the way they wanted them to be answered and answer that way.

In a nutshell. Politicians can be all things to everyone and thats their craft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I'm back to drinking bottled water, as I believe the amounts of FLOURIDE in our domestic water is not strictly controlled. Some days I can smell the bloody stuff! I know it's difficult to filter flouride out of drinking water so I checked out the popular bottled waters. Evian was tops, also Volvic. No flouride!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

poppyvally wrote: »
    I'm back to drinking bottled water, as I believe the amounts of FLOURIDE in our domestic water is not strictly controlled. Some days I can smell the bloody stuff! I know it's difficult to filter flouride out of drinking water so I checked out the popular bottled waters. Evian was tops, also Volvic. No flouride!

Make that every day here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

In regards to candidates and canvassing it seems most of them still rely on antiquated means of communication. That bothers me. I would vote for any candidate who stands up to the culture of waste and brings us real change.

For example, election posters. Why? Seriously, in today's day and age why does anyone spend thousands on such a waste of money which damages the environment and no one really gives two shytes about? Although I did not vote for him Sean Gallagher had the right idea when he decided to have no posters at all for his campaign (and he came close to winning). I thought he really made a statement with this.

Then there are the people drop leaflets in my postbox. Again, why? You have an army of your friends wasting their evenings doing the job of the post office because you are too cheap to pay for stamps. Better yet, have a website and again save money and time.

But the most annoying thing I find is canvassers who do not know where their candidate stands on the important issues. This is a big pet peeve. Ask them a real question about water charges, abortion, or a good one to really throw them - coursing and they act like you asked them to recite the Constitution verbatim. If you do not know where the candidate stands, why are you trying to get me to vote for them? Because they live near you? You are related? Seriously, none of those are good enough reasons to vote for someone.

Needless to say I have fun with any and all canvassers during the run up to elections.

So my questions would be about water charges, where they stand

A womans right to abortion, where they stand

Coursing (as this for some reason in many areas is more hotly debated than abortion and makes most uncomfortable)

And of course, where they stand with wasting peoples time and resources on stupid antiquated electioneering as outlined above. This is a great one to close with. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

golfball37 wrote: »
    In a nutshell. Politicians can be all things to everyone and thats their craft.

"...Because that now it lies you on to speak
    To the people; not by your own instruction,
    Nor by the matter which your heart prompts you,
    But with such words that are but rooted in
    Your tongue, though but bastards and syllables
    Of no allowance to your bosom's truth..."

Volumnia's advice to Coriolanus when he sought election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Now I would be interested what issues you actually raised with candidates? That is, if you bothered at all.
    And I'd like to know the responses. Could be fun :)

I had a candidate at my door today, with a very aggressive attitude which he probably confused with confidence, accompanied by a local guy I actually know who was deeply embarassed and prefered to enjoy the view or study his toes and the gravel.

I asked him what he actually can do to change things or what influence he has, since policies are done in Dublin not in Ennis.

He said, that he can help people to get things done.

Like what, said I.

I did something for you already, he said.

Yeah right - I phoned him years ago as a builder (recommended by a neighbour) because I needed two new windows. He came along said he'll send someone, which he did, I got the windows and paid for it. Handsomely.

I said, that's your job, innit? And you cashed in?
    But what can you do as a politician?

I can do anything you want - he got slightly annoyed.

So what exactly?

Just call me and I do whatever you want or need.

And swanned off to the relief of the guy who must by now know the very details of his toes and the gravel in front of my door.

I'd like to take him by his word.
    Like, I need someone to clear the overgrown patch behind my house or get me decent wine without the equally overgrown tax or such like ... :D
    Not to mention the more pressing issues for the country.

But as we all know it's all talk and no action.

I'd like to meet a candidate yet who actually talks politics, to discuss things, not babbling parochial shyte.

Any experiences?

His respones were a bit longer, but I zoomed out after I got bored with his stilted and bland phrases and thought about dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Final List of candidates here (local elections): http://www.clare.fm/news/final-list-clare-local-election-candidates-confirmed

My OH said he heard a piece on Clare FM today with some of the candidates and he wouldn't vote for any of them on the basis of what he heard no policies just more of the I'll sort ye out I'll get things done - same vein as in Carry's post above :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

To be fair to the candidates who say they'll look after you when you need them, at least they are being honest. I've seen some candidates saying that they are going to sort out water rates or other stuff, pie in the sky, they can't do anything except local really. 1 candidate had in their manifesto that they were going to get an app created to allow people register their problems, what a waste of money, another was going to setup cheap creches, again, pie in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Claregirl wrote: »
    My OH said he heard a piece on Clare FM today with some of the candidates and he wouldn't vote for any of them

Listened to John Cook (who was a great chair in the debate) for about an hour with the Ennis area candidates on. Not one of them (from seasoned councillors, to inter-party switchers, to new candidates) seemed to grasp what was within their remit as a councillor. Cooke had to correct a number of the candidates numerous times.

The newest candidate/party seemed to be interested in going on about how the established parties had done nothing, but had not one single idea to bring to the table when she was asked for ideas on employment, tourism, and property tax.

Depressing stuff, to be honest (even if that was just a sample of the candidates in a short debate).

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Who or what are FIS NUA?

No real stand out candidates. A few who could stir it up for a laugh but nobody who gives me confidence. That said I dont know them all.

Wont be home to vote either way. Makes me think if I ever mives home to run but would probably lose as don't know many people back home anymore.

Working on trading systems isnt really transferrable but Maybe the arguements and presentations and amount of ****e I have to tak is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

ulinbac wrote: »
    Who or what are FIS NUA?

I'm guessing that's the question most listeners would have asked, especially after Vera spoke each time!

They have a website (with candidates for EU and local elections), with very, very vague policies most of which have nothing to do with either EU or local elections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cgarvey wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's the question most listeners would have asked, especially after Vera spoke each time!

They have a website (with candidates for EU and local elections), with very, very vague policies most of which have nothing to do with either EU or local elections.

Now there's dangerous, deluded hogwash if I ever saw it.
    If they got in, Ireland would look like Afghanistan in a week.

cgarvey wrote: »
    Load of Bollixology. People need to be responsible and productive and to stop looking to the government to subsidize their lifestyle choice.Nothing comes from nothing.
    Considering they want to roll back progress, presumably they would like to do away with modern medicines.
    With this gang we'd be living under the hedgeqrows and weaving willow baskets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Local elections and councils are a waste of time what can they do ? nothing, as has been proved time and time again, Enda runs the show thats it end off. Whatever Enda says goes. Labour, Shatter and Lucinda learnt this the hard way.

To be fair to the candidates who say they'll look after you when you need them, at least they are being honest.

Not in my experience, about the looking after or at least give advice.

I once was asking around in the neighbourhood to get advice for a grant for a new thatched roof. (It's complicated because at that time you've got a grant from the national heritage council and one from the local council)

People told me to ask the local councillor, whom I got hold of in the local pub eventually (where else :rolleyes:)

He said that he is the right man to ask (supping his pint and beaming), what's the problem.

I asked him, what is the best way to apply for the grant and where? Do you know someone who is responsible and can you actually help me to get in contact?

A simple question in the realms of a councillor, I thought.

His smile disappeared, instead you could see his three ff-braincells frantically moving around - because he actually didn't know.

Eventually he told me to call the local council to get advice.

That was something I never had thought of myself, while asking a local councillor, now wasn't I ...:rolleyes:

What was that again? We'll fix it, call me if you need help ....

These people wouldn't know their backside from their elbow, but promise you everything.

Useless, absolutely useless.

I eventually found out all on my own whom to contact, by the way. But the responsible officer for the grant was as useless as anything, even too lazy to do a survey for the grant. I payed for preserving Irish heritage all on my own eventually. But that's another story.

Did I mention useless?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I have deleted the last 2 posts and issued Pilate with a warning. Please remember to keep things on topic and civil at the same time. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

point taken mr g. however being civil should also include posts directed to particular candidates and their parties.bringing up their occupations,drinking habits and politicial affilliations in such negative tones is in itself going way off topic.ie what issues will you raise.
    the thread is not about having a go at elected reps. or is it

pilate 1 wrote: »
    point taken mr g. however being civil should also include posts directed to particular candidates and their parties.bringing up their occupations,drinking habits and politicial affilliations in such negative tones is in itself going way off topic.ie what issues will you raise.
    the thread is not about having a go at elected reps. or is it

This thread is not for having a go at an elected representative, rather more for bringing up issues in your local area and what you would like done about it. Please read the OP. Carry did not name the representative whom was in the pub.

Please don't question a Mod's decision on-thread as it de-rails it, instead please PM a Mod.

• Advertisement

Carry wrote: »
    Not in my experience, about the looking after or at least give advice.

I once was asking around in the neighbourhood to get advice for a grant for a new thatched roof. (It's complicated because at that time you've got a grant from the national heritage council and one from the local council)

People told me to ask the local councillor, whom I got hold of in the local pub eventually (where else :rolleyes:)

He said that he is the right man to ask (supping his pint and beaming), what's the problem.

I asked him, what is the best way to apply for the grant and where? Do you know someone who is responsible and can you actually help me to get in contact?

A simple question in the realms of a councillor, I thought.

His smile disappeared, instead you could see his three ff-braincells frantically moving around - because he actually didn't know.

Eventually he told me to call the local council to get advice.

That was something I never had thought of myself, while asking a local councillor, now wasn't I ...:rolleyes:

What was that again? We'll fix it, call me if you need help ....

These people wouldn't know their backside from their elbow, but promise you everything.

Useless, absolutely useless.

I eventually found out all on my own whom to contact, by the way. But the responsible officer for the grant was as useless as anything, even too lazy to do a survey for the grant. I payed for preserving Irish heritage all on my own eventually. But that's another story.

Did I mention useless?

So instead of ringing 1 of the many phone lines, emailing different options, calling offices, ringing during business hours, you decide to interupt someone during their "down time" and are surprised/taken aback when they don't want to give a full substantive answer to a question that you yourself admit was complicated. If someone from my workplace was to come into the pub when I was there and ask me a work related question I've no doubt but I'd tell them to call someone else or to ring me during the day, they are our Representatives not an encyclopaedia of knowledge of grants, in fact I don't think I'd ever like to rely on someone for financial advice while they were consuming alcohol.

In my experience, if I wanted to get in contact with a councillor, just ring their office or mobile and they normally get back to you, if you are lucky to meet them in a pub simply ask them for a good time to ring them during the week, common decency really.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

To be fair to the candidates who say they'll look after you when you need them, at least they are being honest. I've seen some candidates saying that they are going to sort out water rates or other stuff, pie in the sky, they can't do anything except local really. 1 candidate had in their manifesto that they were going to get an app created to allow people register their problems, what a waste of money, another was going to setup cheap creches, again, pie in the sky.

So what can they actually do? How do they actually look after you?

Is it not the county manager and senior execs etc (i.e. employees) that have the actual power to get things done? Are councillors not just the middlemen taking credit for people getting what they are entitled to get?

Actually I forgot they did have some involvement for granting planning permission to build on flood planes back in the day didn't they?

So instead of ringing 1 of the many phone lines, emailing different options, calling offices, ringing during business hours, you decide to interupt someone during their "down time" and are surprised/taken aback when they don't want to give a full substantive answer to a question that you yourself admit was complicated. If someone from my workplace was to come into the pub when I was there and ask me a work related question I've no doubt but I'd tell them to call someone else or to ring me during the day, they are our Representatives not an encyclopaedia of knowledge of grants, in fact I don't think I'd ever like to rely on someone for financial advice while they were consuming alcohol.

In my experience, if I wanted to get in contact with a councillor, just ring their office or mobile and they normally get back to you, if you are lucky to meet them in a pub simply ask them for a good time to ring them during the week, common decency really.

Clareman, I didn't want to write the whole story in all it's epic details. It was an exemplary story about councillors and/or candidates with their promises and how they keep them.

And please read my post again carefully.

I didn't ambush him, he was there in full regalia to talk to his "subjects" (before anyone complains, this is meant as jokey). He doesn't go out to relax, but to "bond with the constituents".
    He invited me to ask him, didn't know a thing, asked me to come to his office, which I did, he pretended to be busy, sqirmed a bit and told me to call the council.

Before all that and before I asked in the neighbourhood if there is anyone who might know a way to get in contact with the right person, I phoned around (and e-mailed) a lot (and yes, during business hours): there was not one who could help me. I never got a reply on my e-mails, when I finally found out the right number there was either no reply or I was told to call another time because he/she is busy or to make an appointment (which I tried to do but got the answer to call again) and when I finally went to Ennis to talk to someone (and actually ambush them) I got the responsible person who was rushing away, telling me to make an appointment. Which I tried but never succeeded in.

I was desperate and frustrated, so I asked in the neighbourhood until someone told me to ask the local councillor, who was incidentally delighted at first when I approached him with a question but then ... see above.

Was that detailed enough?
    If not I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

This thread was set up so people could list the issues they would like to raise with local election candidates.

If you want to discuss your experiences dealing with local representatives this should happen on a new thread.

Actually I forgot they did have some involvement for granting planning permission to build on flood planes back in the day didn't they?
    Each time I pass on the Shehanagh roundabout I wonder who the bright sparks were that were happy to zone JJ's land for building.
    I suppose they still have their snouts in the public trough.

So what can they actually do? How do they actually look after you?

Is it not the county manager and senior execs etc (i.e. employees) that have the actual power to get things done? Are councillors not just the middlemen taking credit for people getting what they are entitled to get?

I would see them as escalation points rather than anything else. As for planning permission, well, there are so many ridiculous decisions in that area I think if they were to be looked into fully that all councils in the country would be thrown out.

For me, and who I'll vote for, will depend on whether the person is approachable, if I've had dealings with them in the past, if they have a track record of getting stuff done or anything like this. Unfortunately, politics the world over is all about who you know, not what you know, as great as it would be to have a full new raft of councillors I don't think this would do much good, any new person will need to have sensible, achievable goals, in work speak they will need to be SMART (Specific, Manageable, Assignable, Realistic and Time-Bound)

Oh, and by the way, I haven't decided who to vote for yet, I just know that any councillor who was in place the time of the Information Age debacle won't be getting my vote as they ignored my letters suggestion setting up wireless transmitters on street lights rather than running fibre optic cable throughout the town.

Mod: I have deleted a number of posts in order to keep this thread on topic. Please refer to Mrs D's post:
    MrsD007 wrote: »
    This thread was set up so people could list the issues they would like to raise with local election candidates.

If you want to discuss your experiences dealing with local representatives this should happen on a new thread.

I want to know what is going to happen with Traveller accommodation.
    I believe no more money ought to be spent on it, as it has largely been destroyed.
    I want something done about illegal dumping, illegal parking, including people not paying for a ticket, a plan to make use of the Fergus riverbanks as a walkway where possible.
    I'd like to see the county manager and town manager having their pay reduced to under €80k, and also an explanation of what qualifies them for the job.
    Also, if Johnny Flynn can have suck low expenses, what's the story with the others? I mean, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.
    Another issue is the calibre of councillor...so many relatives of past councillors, as they have reminded us proudly as they now seek reelection, steeped in a mindset of how thing are always done, and that no thinking outside the box is necessary.
    PS I have NO affiliation with Councillor Flynn or FG, but if he can be frugal, why not the rest? After all, it's our goddamned money they are spending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Just on the Johnny Flynn thing it's easy be frugal when you have a lovely pension (60k+) from Limerick co co and your wife earns probably 100k+ (she's a pharmacist with a successful business)

Advertisement