Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clare Herald - what's up?

Options
  • 02-12-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

Quite like The Clare Herald but can't get it online anymore. Anyone know what's up? And The Champion seems to be way thinner than usual. Virtually all the columnists disappeared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Mmm
    Last tweet was 5 days ago
    Ditto last FB page
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Balagan wrote: »
    Quite like The Clare Herald but can't get it online anymore. Anyone know what's up? And The Champion seems to be way thinner than usual. Virtually all the columnists disappeared.

You beat me to it with the Clare Herald, was going to post it just now. Hopefully it's a temporary glitch, it is/was great for local news.....fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mrswhiplash47

I thought it had gone pay as you view and was so disappointed :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Due to the recession, there's been a cut in the amount of news available!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Due to the recession, there's been a cut in the amount of news available!

Bad news have been cut, only good news available now. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 hairless

The person who runs the Clare Herald is taking a break for awhile... It's something that he does in his spare time so I'd imaging it's hard to keep on top of it... I was chatting to him about it last week and I got the impression that it's a temporary thing... So maybe it could be after Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

hairless wrote: »
    The person who runs the Clare Herald is taking a break for awhile... It's something that he does in his spare time so I'd imaging it's hard to keep on top of it... I was chatting to him about it last week and I got the impression that it's a temporary thing... So maybe it could be after Christmas...

Glad to hear this. Can appreciate that it takes a lot of work. One of these days we will have to face up to the reality that we will have to pay the piper to hear the tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hairless

Would you pay for a Clare Herald subscription? Like €10 for six months of access or something? Just as a matter of interest....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

I would pay as long as the standard and speed of news reporting was high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I would as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I check The Clare Herald website regularly.
    Would I pay for it though? I wouldn't unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

IMO, if the Irish Times can't make money from a subscription based news site I can't see a local site fairing my better

Clareman wrote: »
    IMO, if the Irish Times can't make money from a subscription based news site I can't see a local site fairing my better

It is a massive problem facing the print media.
    People don't buy papers anymore, but instead access free newsites via phones and tablets.
    If I just have a quick glance at the news whilst on the train, the bus, the canteen at work, the loo, etc..., I wouldn't want to fork out for it, since A: I can get it for free elsewhere and B: how important is the news really to me that I'd have to pay for it.
    Also, there's radio and TV, as well as the internet, providing a constant stream of "free" news.
    Sadly, this will lead to news corporations having to rely on advertising and sponsorship, this will mean the end of truly independent news reporting, meaning that all we will eventually hear on the news is "All IS Well With The Government", "Breaking News! Kim Kardashian's Arse Grows Even Bigger!" and "The Heath Benefits Of Cola Nought", brought to you by our sponsor, Cola Loca.
    Then, finally, the media will be under full control of the government and global business.
    But it fits in well with the new way of doing business, which is profit first and then nothing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think 1 of the main problems with the print media is that as soon as it's printed it's out of date, people have gotten used to instant updates on news items, not having to wait for the latest print.

Another problem I have is the over-saturation and the fact that everyone with a blog regards themselves as a journalist, the Reuters news feed is brilliant, but there is just way too much data in there so someone will always pick up on something wrong, then you have people who regard themselves as the law and will "print" the news they think people should know, like Peaches Geldof printing the name of those 2 people.

The print media is struggling to keep up, personally, I'm a fan of the Irish Times and I may buy it a couple of times a week, mainly for the business and sports sections, but I won't buy it every day, they have (in my opinion) destroyed their once brilliant website by trying to protect their print versions. News for me now by and large comes from The Journal, Currents and BBC apps on my phone, I will also check the Examiner every once and a while depending on the stage of the GAA season.

I take it you have a passing interest in the GAA then? :P:D

I take it you have a passing interest in the GAA then? :P:D

Just a tad, I like the stickey one the most but the bouncey balley one is good as well, I reckon the ball one in the court is the most under rated ones, some of the girls that play the games though are way better than the boys but they don't get a proper mention.

I'm partial to the game that's played with the egg shaped ball, like American Football without the padding

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

It's back, well done to all involved, great to see extra local news today on it!!!

http://clareherald.com/

Advertisement