Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which fly line

Options
  • 17-06-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

hi all.

i'm looking for advice on fly line. I'm new to this fly fishing. I've just bought a 8/9 9ft rod. i have 2 spools and was looking for advice on a line for trout in a stocked lake. and also a line for pike flying to give it a go? Too much info to take in. All advice welcome and something of descent quality without busting the bank!!! Also advice on leaders and do i need a trace leader for the pike? I thought i knew alot about fishing but this is a different ball game.

Thanks

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

Hi Niall,
    Congrats on the rod, perfect for pike, bit of overkill when it comes to trout but you should be ok with the rainbows in the stocked lakes.
    IMHO you should go for a floater and a medium sinker.
    Theres a guy on a fly fishing forum that sells good unboxed lines very reasonably. http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1161
    He only sells them as a sideline and is great with advice(compition angler in the UK)
    I bought some for a cousin of mine that started flyfishing and they were very good lines.
    If you send him a message and ask him what he thinks, he'll look after you.
    You can also look on ebay of course.
    Good luck anyway and I hope you catch you first pike soon.... they really fight on a fly setup.
    PS. start saving for a float tube...great craic fly fishing for pike in one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I cant speak highly enough of this guy and his lines
    http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/barrio-fly-lines.html
    The best line I have ever used, quality service and cheap.

Advertisement