Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dangers In Opening Corked Wine Bottles

Options
  • 18-06-2004 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Imagine this, all because I was trying to drink a glass of wine.

As described in ads, TV, doctors, etc one glass a wine a day could keep you healthy, wise and keep the doctor away.

Now, my life has been turned upside down. Merely by trying to open a corked bottle of wine. Now I have traumatic injuries sustained by the myth that corked wine is of better quality, has better preservative, ect. The general pubic is under the assumption that wine is better quality and that is why wine companies sell the majority of corked wine. They sell more product and get more money.
    Bottom line, more money and no consideration as to the safety of the general public.
    By being a consumer, giving them my money, and pulling a cork that appears too large for the bottle and or a defective glass bottle, I am now going to be somewhat defective myself. When I was pulling the cork, the neck snapped off the bottle and forced my hand into the 3/8" jagged edge on the shoulder of the bottle and, in a split second, I am now disabled. The bottle sliced into the palm on my hand severed muscles, 2 tendons, and several nerves. What ever else is in the width of the palm.
    Now with one disabled hand and a middle finger standing straight as I jesture the world daily, it is quite humiliating. Not to mentioned that my hand has very little strength and will only bend half way with the finger protruding outward. No guitar playing, piano, golfing or simple trying to get something out on you own pocket since the middle finger is the longest and is in the way of everything else. These are only a few things the hand has use for. On the computer, which I use for my job and my life, I am a one handed "pecker" instead of a two handed typist.

I am posting this information so the general public will be imformed about some of the dangers in opening corked bottles. These companies are not disclosing or posting warning of dangers. They are also not including information about tainted wine from corks after research. Corked wine has been an issue for sometime with no attempt to warn the public.

I personally have talked to many different people and almost every 99% have said the have experienced or seen individuals having problems opening corked wine. They have seen edges break and chip, corks breaking off or some people can not pull the cork out of the bottle so they drive the cork into the bottle. Some people try pulling the cork form holding the bottle under the arm or between there legs, if the bottle broke, it could slice the main artery and could possibility bleed to death. The wine companies need to get with the program, and cap the wine or box it and put warning labels and instructions on every bottle. Put the public's safety first instead of the profit in there pockets. Safety first, anyone else with injuries like mine can help me post this though out cyber space to help warn others.

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

Advertisement