Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

egg safety

Options
  • 04-06-2004 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Are eggs DEFINITELY ok to eat once they dont float?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

that or you hear a chirping sound from them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    that or you hear a chirping sound from them

classic!!!

or if they dont smell or there out of date:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

they were out of date but they didn't float. That's why I had to post it. I ate them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've often found eggs to be fresh far beyond their sell by date

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dates on eggs are usually 7 days prior to their actual 'use by date', although for safety reasons, the 'real' use by date is never published.

This is primarily because you don't know the conditions in which the eggs have been kept. For example:

If a shop keeps the eggs in a chilled cabinet & you buy them & keep them in the fridge, you should get the +7 days. If however, you buy them from chill & keep them in the open, you'll be lucky to get +3 days. Change in temp will knacker the eggs life date. There's legislation currently being touted to make shops keep eggs in chill, but its being resisted as many shoppers dont refrigerate their eggs.

Eggs kept in the open in shops will generally hav a +3 or +4 date at home no matter what conditions you keep them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

is the sink/float method the best way to ensure freshness after the sell by date?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It's reasonably safe, altough not very scientific.:dunno:

sometimes large eggs from older laying hens can have a larger mass of air to yolk ratio so a good egg will float - Also, the shells on some eggs deteriorate, so water permeates them & a very bad egg will sink - although you'd notice the bubbles & feel the egg full of water I guess !!

Advertisement