Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Willam and Kate Wedding - guess the RTE1 ratings

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Blah Blah Blah.....

2 billion people.

Who said this - the British press!

That is if everyone who could see it watched.

Seriously, feck all people should have watched it on RTE as those who wanted decent royal coverage would have seen it on BBC. Those who wanted the celebrity angle with the terrorist danger would have watched it on Sky News, those who wanted criticism of everything would have watched it on TV3.

Look, RTE had a chance of covering a major event for almost no cost, so you could hardly blame them.
    Probably a record audience for that time and day, but at a fraction of the cost.

All the royal haters - get over it - its done, and many people enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As the actual wedding took place at about 6 am Eastern Standard Time/3 am Pacific Time I'm not surprised most Americans didn't watch it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

So since thread is about rte ratings,has anyone got them for who watched in Ireland.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/four-out-of-five-irish-people-will-not-tune-in-to-nuptials-152519.html

Four out of five Irish people will not tune in to nuptials
    By Stephen Rogers
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011
    PRINCE WILLIAM’S wedding to Kate Middleton may be a cause for bliss on the other side of the water but a survey has found Friday’s ceremony will be given a right royal miss by four out of five Irish people who will simply not bother to tune in.

Yet a survey of 100 people found not one intending to take the time off work to watch the ceremony and only 20% saying they could be bothered to watch it at all. The survey by Call Management also found that 100% of respondents said they would not like a royal family of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ireland generates the most internet searches for royal wedding
    Prince William and Kate’s wedding fascinated the Emerald Isle
    By CATHY HAYES - IrishCentral.com Staff Writer

CLICK > http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ireland-generates-the-most-internet-searches-for-royal-wedding-121048519.html

William+Kate+Wedd+th.jpg

The TAM/Neilsen ratings are not on RTE aertel for about 2 weeks but I'd say there will be something in the media before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

All the critics here were probably wearing their premiership jerseys bought from UK based stores watching the British owned sky sports at the weekend.
    I reckon about 450k made up of some of the 200k British people living here, and the rest being mainly women looking at fashion

from digitalspy-

Royal Wedding Combined Peak
    The Royal Wedding had a 5-minute combined peak audience of 26.2m (93.4%) at 11:15 across BBC1, ITV1, BBC News, Sky News, Sky Living, E! and Fox News (including HD simulcasts where necessary).

When the peak of 26.2m (93.4%) happened at 11:15, the channels' audiences were broken down as follows:

BBC1: 19.03m (67.8%)
    ITV1: 5.94m (21.2%)
    Sky News: 693k (2.5%)
    BBC News: 437k (1.6%)
    Sky Living: 86k (0.3%)
    E!: 9k (0.03%)
    Fox News: 2k (0.01%)

France
    Channel...Morning (Ave).......Afternoon (Ave)
    TF1.........4.95m (41.8%).......4.25m (31.9%)
    FR2....... 3.92m (29.9%)..... ..4.82m (35.7%)
    M6......... 0.47m (3.9%)....... ..0.69m (4.7%)

Average over times stated ()
    18.9m (30%) - United Kingdom (08:00 to 13:40)
    9.7m (12%) - Germany (08:00 to 14:00)
    4.6m (20%) - Australia (10:20 to 13:40)
    2.7m (6%) - Spain (?)
    2.2m (13%) - Netherlands (10:15 to 13:45)
    1.0m (23%) - New Zealand (08:30 to 13:40)
    0.6m (7%) - Austria (08:10 to 15:05)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

mike65 wrote: »
    The TAM/Neilsen ratings are not on RTE aertel for about 2 weeks but I'd say there will be something in the media before then.

They should be up here http://www.medialive2.com/television/latest-top-20-programmes/latest-top-20-programmes.html in the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,124 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

maxer68 wrote: »
    All the critics here were probably wearing their premiership jerseys bought from UK based stores watching the British owned sky sports at the weekend.
    I reckon about 450k made up of some of the 200k British people living here, and the rest being mainly women looking at fashion

I'd say about 10 of these, as most British people came here to get away from all of that crap. I was born there and watched none of it, on any channel.:P

Even in the UK, 26 million tuning in, out of a 60 odd million population, shows that most people couldn't give a toss, and were in the pub celebrating getting a day off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

A-ha!...so y'all ARE ratings w*ores!

Aren't there a lot of la de da royalty lovers in Ireland:P

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0503/breaking51.html
    Nearly 1.3 million Irish viewers watched the royal wedding last Friday - a huge audience for a daytime event in this country.
    The figures measure those who would have tuned in to some aspect of the coverage on the five channels showing the event: RTÉ, TV3, BBC, ITV and Sky News or those who watched on a personal video recorder such as Sky+ or Digital+ on the same day.

Collectively 1.29 million people watched some aspect of the coverage between 10.30am and 1.30pm, but an average of 758,000 people stayed with the event throughout.

The ratings winner was TV3 where an average of 262,800 viewers watched the station's coverage from 10.30pm to 1.30pm, most of which was a simulcast of ITV's coverage.

Next was RTÉ at 196,700 viewers followed closely by BBC1 which had 184,300 viewers.

A total of 61,400 tuned into UTV while only 52,800 watched the wedding on Sky News despite the station's dawn to dusk coverage.

Nearly 500,000 Irish viewers watched at the peak time just after the wedding started at 11am.

The peak figure for TV3 was 294,000 viewers at 11.04am just as the bride Kate Middleton was getting ready to walk down the aisle.

RTÉ's coverage peaked well after the wedding was finished when 248,000 tuned at 12.43pm.

A total of 792,000 watched some aspect of TV3's royal wedding coverage between 8.30am and 1.30pm.

TV3 head of programming Ben Frow said the decision to show five hours of live and uninterrupted coverage of the royal wedding was vindicated by the audience figures.

"I never thought it would do nearly that well. It's eight times more than I expected. I thought we'd be doing well to get between 30,000 and 40,000 viewers," he said.

Fecking West Brits! ;)

Fecking West Brits! ;)

I understand that the Windsors are taking over Tubridy's slot on the Late Late:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Not surprising that a wedding that was covered by nearly every TV station got such high viewing figure and was constantly talked about. Might even be down the the fact that it was a Bank Holiday Weekend and there was nothing else to watch on a late Friday morning.

Elmo wrote: »
    Not surprising that a wedding that was covered by nearly every TV station got such high viewing figure and was constantly talked about. Might even be down the the fact that it was a Bank Holiday Weekend and there was nothing else to watch on a late Friday morning.

If it were slashing down with rain, or in the middle of winter, that might be plausible, but it wasn't. There was no need to be watching anything with the sun blazing from the heavens.

There's obviously a strange breed of tv viewer that RTE and TV3 didn't know were there. The world's gone mad.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If it were slashing down with rain, or in the middle of winter, that might be plausible, but it wasn't. There was no need to be watching anything with the sun blazing from the heavens.

There's obviously a strange breed of tv viewer that RTE and TV3 didn't know were there. The world's gone mad.

Even still many are unemployed, many had a full week of school and had plenty of sun, and many get up late on a lazy Friday late morning, many would have headed out to the beach later on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

remember the wedding itself was ony a side show to the biggest fashion catwalk for many years:D - not all of headlines the next day were to do the the wedding couple, but of Pippa Midleton (WOW!) and also of some women who actually wore the same outfit as someone else!

Even the girls in the office here were only interested in the antics of harry and who was wearing what colour. - Though I think the fancy dress costume of the Queen as a lemon won't be copied too much.

maxer68 wrote: »
    remember the wedding itself was ony a side show to the biggest fashion catwalk for many years:D - not all of headlines the next day were to do the the wedding couple, but of Pippa Midleton (WOW!) and also of some women who actually wore the same outfit as someone else!

Even the girls in the office here were only interested in the antics of harry and who was wearing what colour. - Though I think the fancy dress costume of the Queen as a lemon won't be copied too much.

The only interesting thing that I read about was the hat worn by the facially challenged "Bea", who always seems to look like a mesmerised rabbit caught in the head-lights. The whole world has been taking the piss out of the "hat".

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/04/princess-beatrice-hat-facebook-royal-wedding-philip-treacy-hat.html?cid=6a00d8341c630a53ef014e882837ca970d

6a00d8341c630a53ef01538e3404bb970b-600wi

Fecking West Brits! ;)

Think of the amount of non Irish who are just citizens in that and then the holiday people from england and other countries.So Irish natives watching alot lower than they are making out.:rolleyes:

Yeah that would account for it alright.....

implied-facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement

caseyann wrote: »
    Think of the amount of non Irish who are just citizens in that and then the holiday people from england and other countries.So Irish natives watching alot lower than they are making out.:rolleyes:

Totally agree with that, West Brits my ass!

Why you posting pictures of the Ugly Sisters?

Philippa-Middleton-Not-Lose-Belle-with-Kate-Middleton.jpg

Also while didn't watch doesn't the Princess of Wales have big hands!

caseyann wrote: »

Yeh, I bet there were millions of Irish visitors and holiday-makers in other countries also watching it, just to bump up the ratings.:P

Yeh, I bet there were millions of Irish visitors and holiday-makers in other countries also watching it, just to bump up the ratings.:P
    Yes because its so interesting :pvomit-2086.gif

More like this when every channel it was on
    1239.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Just how accurate can ratings be though. Who has one of those boxes, I know of nobody.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Just how accurate can ratings be though. Who has one of those boxes, I know of nobody.

I've never known anyone on the planet who ever had one of those gadgets. I even assume that if you leave your set switched on, and go to the pub, then you're still down as a viewer, even though you're lying unconscious in a bar miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Pretty shocked by the ratings. It proves that RTE were well justified in showing the wedding.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Diana and Charles wedding was seen by 750 million people.

Yes, but how did they know this? I'm presuming they didn't ask 750million people if they did watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I've never known anyone on the planet who ever had one of those gadgets. I even assume that if you leave your set switched on, and go to the pub, then you're still down as a viewer, even though you're lying unconscious in a bar miles away.
    Nope. At the start of every show you have to press a button to be counted as a viewer. You have to press the button again every so often during a programme to make sure you're still watching.

Advertisement