Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracker Mortgage

Options
  • 03-09-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

I have a query on tracker mortgages, is the lenders margin of say 1.5% over the ECB rate guaranteed for the entire duration of loan i.e 20, 25 years etc or is it reviewed periodically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

In my case I have a letter saying it is for the entire duration of the loan. I assume they have would find legal "methods" to get them out if they really wanted to, but it wouldn't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I assume they have would find legal "methods" to get them out if they really wanted to,
    if they had, they would be doing it right now..

the only thing I have heard is of banks offering people cash to come off them, and giving them a decent fixed rate for 5 years or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

As standard, it's for the full duration of the loan, and neither the bank nor customer can change that without the other party agreeing.

There may be some trackers out there that explicitly had "get-out" clauses, but I'm not aware of any. Certainly wouldn't have been standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 petermurp

tracker mortgages are seen as loss making products for banks now given the high costs of funds. The margin your tracker tracks the ECB is guaranteed for the full term of the mortgage. Many lenders are trying to get customers to switch to variable or fixed rates, and even when an application for an interest only facility or payment holiday is requested some lenders may use that as a means to cancel your tracker mortgage.

Advertisement