Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low income mortgages

Options
  • 12-08-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Does anyone know if a bank would consider someone earning less than €20,000 a year for a mortgage? There is a property I've seen for €140,00 that would need a lot of work, and I'd love to buy it and do it up gradually. I could live at my mother's during this time, so I wouldn't have rent or bills (other than a small contribution).

• I have been in my job 3 years (I was living abroad before this)
    • I have never been in financial difficulty

Would it be worth my while taking to someone at a few banks, or would I just be turned away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Do you mean €14,000 or €140,000?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Most banks will only do 90% or 92% finance, so for your property you'd need to have about €14k saved up as a deposit.

The absolute max a bank will lend is 4.5 to 5 times your salary, so you couldn't get a mortgage for €126k. The most you'd qualify for is about €90k or so, I think. Best bet really is to give a few banks a ring, like BOI or EBS, ask to speak to the mortgage advisor and see do they reckon it'd be worth submitting an application. TBH, I'd say it's unlikely they'll do anything for you, but it can't hurt to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 petermurp

Most banks have minimum income requirements as well as minimum property value requirements.

Advertisement