Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrying a license?

Options
  • 02-03-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but does anyone know what the attitude to carrying your license is? I know you're supposed to have it on you at all times but what happens if you forget it? I'm a provisional holder and I went home to Donegal for the weekend and left my license in Dublin. I've been asked to drive the car back ,(I'm insured on it), but I'm unsure what would happen if I were pulled over. Would the Garda fine me or would I have to hand in the license at a Garda Station within a week or something along those lines? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not sure of the penalty but you do have to have it on you at all times (while driving).
    To that end, mine is folded up in my wallet. So unless i forget my wallet, i will always have it on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I carry mine on me virtually all the time as well. There will be an occasion when I will forget to move it from pocket to pocket or when I have it indoors and neglect to bring it but by and large I take it with me.

There is one point for not producing a license when asked to by a Garda, rising to 3 in court. I am not sure of the fine but I'd guess at €80/€120.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Saruman wrote: »
    Not sure of the penalty but you do have to have it on you at all times (while driving).
    To that end, mine is folded up in my wallet. So unless i forget my wallet, i will always have it on me.
    I cannot understand why the government have not introduced a wallet sized licence. I keep mine in my wallet too but it is falling to pieces because it has to be folded to fit.
    Q. Is there a requirement to carry my driving licence with me?
    A. Yes. Since 1 January 2003 it is an offence for any person to drive without being in a position to produce their licence on request from a Garda. It is also an offence to fail to submit a licence within 10 days to a Garda station where so requested. At present penalty points do not apply to this offence. In the meantime it will be an offence under the Road Traffic Acts attracting a maximum fine on conviction of €800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Your best bet is to go down to a local Garda Station and report it "missing". You then have to fill out an application for a duplicate. This form will do you for a few days until you get back home. You can then contact the Gardai and tell you found the original. The present license is a joke, I go through one at least every year, and usually they end up in shreds in my motorcycle jacket. The proposed new license that will replace this one will be a Euro based smart card that will contain an RFID chip which will be a controversial issue when introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I leave mine in the sun visor.. probably a bad idea if the car was nicked, but then I'd have nothing to drive anyway! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your best bet is to go down to a local Garda Station and report it "missing". You then have to fill out an application for a duplicate. This form will do you for a few days until you get back home. You can then contact the Gardai and tell you found the original.
    Making a false declaration to a garda is not a good idea.

Does it make sense for a learner driver to drive from Donegal to Dublin, when a licenced driver is available*? What will the PSNI think? Are you used to 4 hours on mediocre roads?

* I'm assuming one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Victor wrote: »
    Making a false declaration to a garda is not a good idea.

Does it make sense for a learner driver to drive from Donegal to Dublin, when a licenced driver is available*? What will the PSNI think? Are you used to 4 hours on mediocre roads?

* I'm assuming one is.
    Ok, "misslaid" at home would be the more appropriate word. Im sure if he explained to a Garda in a station that he needed to drive back he could get a written declaration signed by a Garda to cover him, he may need some form of ID. A learner driver from the republic is forbidden to drive in the North and more than likely his insurance is void if he has an accident up there. If the PSNI caught him with out a qualified driver they would probably take the car off him and make him walk the rest :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can get from Donegal to Dublin without entering the North, Victor. I'd in fact recommened it as the Northern roads are very, very poor compared to the N4 these days.

If you produce the licence within 10 days (not working) to a nominated (by you) station, you're generally fine - even the letter-of-the-law fresh from Templemore guards are generally OK about this. Assuming its a second provisional of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Victor wrote: »
    What will the PSNI think?

What are you on about? You can drive from Donegal to Dublin without entering NI. In fact, it might even be faster not to go that way

Nowhere did the OP mention anything about dealing with the PSNI or entering NI

micmclo wrote: »
    What are you on about? You can drive from Donegal to Dublin without entering NI. In fact, it might even be faster not to go that way

Nowhere did the OP mention anything about dealing with the PSNI or entering NI

You can, but unless you are going to Bundoran or Ballyshannon, it is something of a dogs leg. Belturbet is the last major town on the N 3; to turn off here means driving some some awful back roads around the Cavan/Leitrim region towards Bundoran and the N 15. If one was headed towards the top of Donegal, passing via the North is the most logical and direct route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My experience of heading to mid-Donegal (Ballybofey) and home (West Donegal) disagrees with Ham'nd'egger though. The N4 is always faster than taking the N3 or N2 corridor at all. N3 is in bits, N2 is in major bits, N4/N15 is in much better nick - higher average speeds cancel out being longer.

MYOB wrote: »
    My experience of heading to mid-Donegal (Ballybofey) and home (West Donegal) disagrees with Ham'nd'egger though. The N4 is always faster than taking the N3 or N2 corridor at all. N3 is in bits, N2 is in major bits, N4/N15 is in much better nick - higher average speeds cancel out being longer.

I must say, I wouldn't have considered the N 4 as a direct route to Donegal though I don't go to Donegal often; Enniskillen is as far as I'd get that part of the world. Last time I went to Sligo, the N 4 was an excellent road IMO How long does it take, as a matter of interest?

Left home at 5:30, got to Burtonport for 10:00 after a breakfast stop in Dungloe. I've done it in 4 hours in a car that can handle the R262 and N56 better before - and wasn't caught behind a tanker and an ESB jeep across the worst bits of said roads.

The N4 joins directly with the N15 - it turns in to it effectively - and the N15 is Donegal's primary route really, south west -> north east of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I have an uk license and my picture is not on it and therefore i dont carry it with me. I have been asked at check points if i have it on my me , so i just say that i dont carry it due to the fact that my picture is not on it and if stolen anyone could use it. They say either produce it at a local station or tell my that i should have it on me and send it on my way, to which i reply that its the irish licensce that you need to carry with you. The guards just look at me and wave me on then :D

Does a UK licence not come with an accompanying photo-card now?

I've been asked to produce once, did so and since then have it in my sun visor - except for when I'm driving another member of the families car, obviously. I once nearly handed the guard my brothers licence, probably would have got away with it as we look very similar!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

cymro wrote: »
    I have an uk license and my picture is not on it and therefore i dont carry it with me. I have been asked at check points if i have it on my me , so i just say that i dont carry it due to the fact that my picture is not on it and if stolen anyone could use it. They say either produce it at a local station or tell my that i should have it on me and send it on my way, to which i reply that its the irish licensce that you need to carry with you. The guards just look at me and wave me on then :D

If they are not giving you grief why be argumentative back to them ? I'm sure that if they wanted to get snotty they could...

I haven't carried my licence since the 1970's ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

Just be wary about driving on the continent. I live in France and you must have your driving licence and car registration papers with you when driving. If you don't then you'll get an on the spot fine and maybe a penalty point. If you're a tourist it won't make much difference, and in fact it could be worse. Also, only a national ID card or passport is considered a valid form of ID, so you'd need to have that with you too or things will be a lot worse.

The Irish Citizens Information website has a lot of info on the Irish driving licence.
    From that site:
    "It is expected the new EU driving licence will come into effect by 2012 and the current driving licences issued by each member state will be phased out by 2032."

There's some information about the new European driving licence on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I live in France and you must have your driving licence and car registration papers with you when driving. If you don't then you'll get an on the spot fine and maybe a penalty point. If you're a tourist it won't make much difference, and in fact it could be worse.

In my experience it depends how friendly the gendamarie are feeling.

I was let off in a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭chamar

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I leave mine in the sun visor.. probably a bad idea if the car was nicked, but then I'd have nothing to drive anyway! :p

Same here, because I would never remember to always have it on me. Good job too as 3 times in the last month I have been asked to produce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

fearcruach wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but does anyone know what the attitude to carrying your license is? I know you're supposed to have it on you at all times but what happens if you forget it? I'm a provisional holder and I went home to Donegal for the weekend and left my license in Dublin. I've been asked to drive the car back ,(I'm insured on it), but I'm unsure what would happen if I were pulled over. Would the Garda fine me or would I have to hand in the license at a Garda Station within a week or something along those lines? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Since 2003 it is an offence no to have your driving licence with you whilst driving, but the discretion lies with the Police, they usually ask you to produce within 7 days at a Police station of your choice.

Are you expecting to be pulled over for some reason?? hehe lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

MYOB wrote: »
    Does a UK licence not come with an accompanying photo-card now?

I've been asked to produce once, did so and since then have it in my sun visor - except for when I'm driving another member of the families car, obviously. I once nearly handed the guard my brothers licence, probably would have got away with it as we look very similar!

I got my full license in 83 and its valid until im 75. So im not swapping it till then.

ga2re2t wrote: »
    It is expected the new EU driving licence will come into effect by 2012 and the current driving licences issued by each member state will be phased out by 2032

That'll do me! ;)

Advertisement