Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powdered Cheese for sprinkling on pasta dishes

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's called parmesan, buy it, use a grater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Does anyone know of any easily available powdered cheese sprinkle in Ireland.

We had been gifted some of this.... but have run out... :(

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/brady-street-cheese-sprinkle/c-24/p-345/pd-s

Lidl do a tub of this....Cant think of the name of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is grated parmesan. Most supermarkets will stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yes you'll find it on the same aisle as the pasta sauces/pasta.

Magicmarker, telling someone to get a grater and some Parmesan is not really helpful to someone who asked for a specific product.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'd have thought that suggesting an affordable, more healthy, readily-available alternative is extremely helpful. OP: Based on the listed ingredients, some grated Pecorino, a pinch of salt, garlic (or garlic granules if you must), some dried basil and parsley and you'll have a really tasty alternative. All available from Aldi/Lidl/Tesco/Dunnes etc.

• Advertisement

I'd have thought that suggesting an affordable, more healthy, readily-available alternative is extremely helpful. OP: Based on the listed ingredients, some grated Pecorino, a pinch of salt, garlic (or garlic granules if you must), some dried basil and parsley and you'll have a really tasty alternative. All available from Aldi/Lidl/Tesco/Dunnes etc.

Yes but the OP was specifically asking for powdered cheese.
    Whether we think it's terrible and that he should be grating his own is irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yes but the OP was specifically asking for powdered cheese.
    Whether we think it's terrible and that he should be grating his own is irrelevant.

I suggested an alternative, I didn't realise this was against the rules. I'll hand myself in at the nearest Gardai station post haste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No need for pistols at dawn - let's be nice.

I apologise.
    I would use fresh Parmesan myself and I see people were only trying to help, but I was just trying to explain that the OP wanted the powdered stuff.
    Sorry for sniping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Looking at the ingredients of that, it's not fresh grated parmesan though, the cheese is dried (so any attempt to make it yourself with grated fresh stuff is going to result in a jar of blue fluff in your press after a while) & there's salt and spices through it as well. I can't spot this stuff on Tesco.ie at the moment but I've bought it there before

5000232823434.jpg

You might have to spice it up yourself though, I haven't seen anything that exactly matches your spice mix here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd have thought that suggesting an affordable, more healthy, readily-available alternative is extremely helpful.
    How is a hard block of Parmesan "more healthy" that pre-grated cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mellor wrote: »

Like any processed convenience food, it's got some things added which wouldn't be considered the most healthy.

To stop it clumping, you've got some anti-clumping agents like cellulose (wood pulp)... Some use calcium sulfate, others use potato starch

Then you have some additional salt, possibly other preservatives, and the cheese itself won't be the best quality one to begin with. It'll be the cheapest one going.

Less processed is usually healthier as a general rule.

I fully agree with you regarding over processed cheeses, and food in general.
    But in this case the ingredients are: Romano cheese, salt, garlic, green peppercorn, basil and parsley.
    That looks fine to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I fully agree with you regarding over processed cheeses, and food in general.
    But in this case the ingredients are: Romano cheese, salt, garlic, green peppercorn, basil and parsley.
    That looks fine to me tbh.

No grated foot callouses? How'd they get that distinctive 'Parmesan' aroma?

endacl wrote: »
    No grated foot callouses? How'd they get that distinctive 'Parmesan' aroma?
    The full name for Romano cheese is "Romano Pedetrino" which means "Romanians little feet" - :o

Because parmesan is a type of cheese. Romano cheese is a manufactured product, and... er.. well, Wikipedia tells it best:
    Romano cheese can be made from cow, goat, and/or sheep's milk and must be aged at least five months. Dry milk and water can be added. Milk can be bleached with benzoyl peroxide or a mixture of benzoyl peroxide with potassium alum, calcium sulfate, and magnesium carbonate. Safe artificial coloring may be added. Rennet does not need to be used and any "suitable milk-clotting enzyme that produces equivalent curd formation" suffice.

Yummy.

Because parmesan is a type of cheese. Romano cheese is a manufactured product, and... er.. well, Wikipedia tells it best:

Yummy.

Romano is a type of italien cheese, made from sheeps milk. And it's orotvted by EU law just like Parmesan.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecorino_Romano

I think you've quoted the description of some vague American cheese. Not related tbh.

Romano is a type of italien cheese, made from sheeps milk. And it's orotvted by EU law just like Parmesan.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecorino_Romano

I think you've quoted the description of some vague American cheese. Not related tbh.
    Did you happen to read the original post? Did you click on the link? Did you read about the product? Did you look at the ingredients?
    The OP is looking for powdered cheese. Not grated cheese. Not Pecorino Romano.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Did you happen to read the original post? Did you click on the link? Did you read about the product? Did you look at the ingredients?
    The OP is looking for powdered cheese. Not grated cheese. Not Pecorino Romano.

Enough. Bickering is not helping anyone.

I think this thread has run its course. OP, I hope you got the answers you needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement