Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tv licence renewal

• 05-05-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

So myself and the oh have had a tv licence in our apartment the last two years. we take turns to pay it and its my turn this year. Its been in his name the last two years.

I cant afford to pay it this month or the next. when i scrape together enough for it will it be valid from when i renewed it or when it was up (i.e. any way of getting afew months for free?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

No it's always back to when it was up. Like the NCT. Robbin baskets!

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lifestyle

No it's always back to when it was up. Like the NCT. Robbin baskets!

What about if I let it go afew months and put the licence in my name..im technically new owner of licence?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sell the TV to a friend tomorrow for €1.

Give them a receipt and keep a copy for yourself.

When you can afford the licence again, buy the TV back off your friend for €1.

Again, get a receipt with the date of purchase on it.

Due to the change of ownership, technically you will only liable to have a licence from the day you purchase the TV back.

And because it is a new sale - the licence must be valid for one year from that date.

You'll have the receipts to prove it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The license is for TV equipment on the premises, it doesn't matter if you own it or have sold it to a friend for €1. If the TV stays on premises then it requires a license, and I'm pretty sure that if you show them reciepts where you sell the TV for €1 to a friend and buy it back a few months later they won't believe that it actually went to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Poochie05

stevenmu wrote: »
    The license is for TV equipment on the premises, it doesn't matter if you own it or have sold it to a friend for €1. If the TV stays on premises then it requires a license, and I'm pretty sure that if you show them reciepts where you sell the TV for €1 to a friend and buy it back a few months later they won't believe that it actually went to them.

And remember, they've heard all of the excuses!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I pay mine on direct debit. It works out about €13 a month, and is much less of a sting than €160 all in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I moved into a new house about 2 years ago and at the time I had a few letters about renewing the licence and only got around to it when it was about 6 months out of date. Went into the post office with the latest letter sent from them and just said I was only after moving into the house and I got the licence from that date. Worth a go cos all they can say is no and then just try another Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

On the subject but off the subject...

My TV license renewal came today. Times are tough and I'm not keen on forking out €160.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the telly.

So to confirm: If I have no television in the house I'm not subject to the TV license?

Is it ok to rely on broadband and my PC for the evenings entertainment and not have to buy a TV license?

The wife has a friend who does not own a telly but watches DVDs on her laptop. The inspector called to her house numerous times insisting that she still needs to buy a license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In bad cash-flow situations, it's best to drag it out until they send you a threatening letter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement