Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Ever Watch Game On? (BBC Series)

Options
  • 26-04-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever watch this? i have the boxset on DVD, a funny enough show, the guy who played Matt on the 1st series was hilarious, had my doubts about the guy who replaced him but he grew on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone ever watch this? i have the boxset on DVD, a funny enough show, the guy who played Matt on the 1st series was hilarious, had my doubts about the guy who replaced him but he grew on me.

Yeah used to watch this. "Game on" phrase is still used by many people, though I think its over used now at this stage, well it was over used back in 1995 TBH.

Rarely repeat and yet Gimme Gimme Gimme is constantly on GOLD!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah used to watch this. "Game on" phrase is still used by many people, though I think its over used now at this stage, well it was over used back in 1995 TBH.

Rarely repeat and yet Gimme Gimme Gimme is constantly on GOLD!

Its so 90's watching it, using VHS to watch a movie!!
    I guess the only one who made it big was Samantha Janus, only ever saw the first Matt in The Truth About Cats And Dogs and never saw Martin in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fantastic show in it's time.

Was gonna pick it up on DVD recently.. but don't know how well it's aged. Similar to Men Behaving Badly.. a lot of 90's BBC sitcoms don't seem to age very well. But I did pick up 'The Fast Show' also.

On 'Game On', am I in the minority who much preferred Neil Stuke to Ben Chaplin too? For those who don't know, Ben Chaplin played a one of the central characters (Matt) for the first season and then left to go to Hollywood (last seen in Sky One's 'Mad Dogs' earlier this year). So they brought in Neil Stuke to play the same character in the second season. The change was ignored.. but then they made a little nod to that at the end of an episode (in the 2nd or 3rd season) where the 3 of them are sitting on the couch, and Mandy and Martin make a comment about Roseanne about how silly it was when they changed the actress who played Becky. And then both stared at Matthew.

A-ha.. from Wiki:
    In the first episode of series two, the substitution of Neil Stuke for Ben Chaplin was acknowledged. The trio are watching Roseanne which referenced the change in actresses playing Becky by having the cast watch TV and comment on actors changing and no one noticing, then looking at Becky. In Game On, Martin asks "I wonder who's playing Becky this week?!" to which Mandy remarks: "Don't you just hate that, when they keep the same character and change the actor?" Both Mandy and Martin then look subtly yet strangely accusingly at Matt, sitting between them on the sofa, who looks worried.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Its so 90's watching it, using VHS to watch a movie!!
    I guess the only one who made it big was Samantha Janus, only ever saw the first Matt in The Truth About Cats And Dogs and never saw Martin in anything.

Ben Chaplin is fairly famous now he crops up in a few films every now and then.

Basq wrote: »
    Fantastic show in it's time.

Was gonna pick it up on DVD recently.. but don't know how well it's aged. Similar to Men Behaving Badly.. a lot of 90's BBC sitcoms don't seem to age very well. But I did pick up 'The Fast Show' also.

On 'Game On', am I in the minority who much preferred Neil Stuke to Ben Chaplin too? For those who don't know, Ben Chaplin played a one of the central characters (Matt) for the first season and then left to go to Hollywood (last seen in Sky One's 'Mad Dogs' earlier this year). So they brought in Neil Stuke to play the same character in the second season. The change was ignored.. but then they made a little nod to that at the end of an episode (in the 2nd or 3rd season) where the 3 of them are sitting on the couch, and Mandy and Martin make a comment about Roseanne about how silly it was when they changed the actress who played Becky. And then both stared at Matthew.

A-ha.. from Wiki:

I liked Ben Chaplin but Neil Stuke grew on me then,
    "Im a double hard b""tard!!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

I was only young when this was on and i had such a crush on samantha janus, only when i got a bit older i realised she was 'meh' looking at best:pac:
    I caught a couple of repeats a few years ago and didn't think it had aged too badly, i still laughed anyway but i don't think my brain age has changed much since the first run:).

I was only young when this was on and i had such a crush on samantha janus, only when i got a bit older i realised she was 'meh' looking at best:pac:
    I caught a couple of repeats a few years ago and didn't think it had aged too badly, i still laughed anyway but i don't think my brain age has changed much since the first run:).

Wouldnt think she is meh TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Have all 3 seasons on DVD - brings back memories of my childhood... Why I was let watch such a show at a young age, is beyond me, but it was great...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah loved it at the time. Had a crush on Ben Chaplin which probably helped!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Actually Men Behaving badly did similar (seeing as how it was mentioned). They had 2 series for ITV and the 1st series had Harry Enfield playing Dermot, Gary's original flatmate.
    That lasted 1 series, then a 2nd series also on ITV without Harry before ITV ditched the show and it was picked up by BBC whereby it won a bunch of awards with Neil Morrissey.
    When I picked up the multi series DVD and started out with season 1 I had no idea what was going on as I had never seen the Harry enfield season before.

Best Game on for me was probably the Eddie Marsan one.
    That nurse Claire was one hell of an annoying character.

• Advertisement

Actually Men Behaving badly did similar (seeing as how it was mentioned). They had 2 series for ITV and the 1st series had Harry Enfield playing Dermot, Gary's original flatmate.
    That lasted 1 series, then a 2nd series also on ITV without Harry before ITV ditched the show and it was picked up by BBC whereby it won a bunch of awards with Neil Morrissey.
    When I picked up the multi series DVD and started out with season 1 I had no idea what was going on as I had never seen the Harry enfield season before.

Yeah that is true I forgotten that Harry Enfield was in Men Behaving Badly. But Dermot is a different character?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah not character replacement. Just thought it was interesting side point to the game on character replacement.
    Not quite a kochanski but strange enfield was in it and also that it was UTV shelved.

Not quite a kochanski but strange enfield was in it and also that it was UTV shelved.

ITV don't have a many good experiences with Sitcoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Yeah not character replacement. Just thought it was interesting side point to the game on character replacement.

UTV had nothing to do with it,

I'm fairly certain it was someone in ITV who decided not to renew Men Behaving Badly.:)

Best Game on for me was probably the Eddie Marsan one.
    That nurse Claire was one hell of an annoying character.
    He robbed Martin's suit!! :D
    I love the scene in Series One when Martin fainted and woke up in bed and Matt convinced him he had been in a coma for three years and married Mandy and had kids!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The best game on was when Matt put on mandys pants and fell asleep in her bed!

Bruce Willis and Robert De Niro holding a fish :D

Best sayings: "You sad bast**d"
    "You ginger tosser"
    "Im a double hard bast**d"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Neil is one of the celeb guest panelists on The Wright Stuff, on FIVE, next week. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Used to love this show and thought Ben Chaplin was much better as Matt. I have the series on DVD and tried re-watching some of it a while back but wasn't mad pushed on it this time around. I might give it a go again though.

Brings me back to the mid 90's though, but not as much as This Life does. There's just something about that show that completely takes me back to that time...

Its on right now on Gold, Series One episode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement